Lexington, KY Municipal Course - What would you recommend?

Reaction score
Handicap
Will be going to Lexington with my aunt at the start of next week to see Pearl Jam in concert. It'll be my first time to Lexington and Kentucky, and I'll have limited time to play the day of the concert. So, I was wondering if somebody that has played the municipal courses in the area could recommend which course would be best/most enjoyable to play?

- Tate's Creek is a 18 hole par 73 off the blue box - 6265 total yardage - Rating of 69.4 Slope of 126
- Meadbrook is a 18 hole par 55 short course - 2235 total yardage
- Lakeside is a 18 hole par 72 - 7000 yards - 73.2 and 132
- Kearney Hill Links is 18 hole par 72 - 6683 yards - 73.5 and 131
- Gay Brewer Jr. Course at Picadome is a 18 hole par 72 - 6583 yards - 70.8 and 131

Does anybody have any experience with these courses? I don't mind yardage and difficulty, but I will be frustrated immensely if I have to play poorly kept greens.

The Kearney Hill Course is the nicest of the Muni options in the area by far. Question though, why limit the search to just muni options?

Edit to say, I believe it's also the closest to Rupp Arena (Where the concert probably is)
Also edit to say, there's several public courses that are absolutely great to play in the area that aren't munis

Well, they all seem to have favorable rates, and we're already making multiple stops. So, I'm trying to make a cheap decision, and also, just because I assumed they'd be the closest in the area without having to travel outside Lexington, and they would be public courses. What would you suggest?

If proximity is important (which I can understand with a busy schedule) Kearney is right at the top. Griffin Gate is a public course at a resort in Lex. Two totally different courses. Kearney very open (Audubon Sanctuary) vs Griffin gate which is built among neighborhoods. Griffin has fantastic greens. BUT, it'll run a little more unless you get a good deal on Golfnow or wherever.

If you're willing to drive an extra 15 minutes out of town, take the beautiful drive to Paris KY. Play Houston Oaks. It's one of my favorites and I bet you can play it cheaper than Kearney

If proximity is important (which I can understand with a busy schedule) Kearney is right at the top. Griffin Gate is a public course at a resort in Lex. Two totally different courses. Kearney very open (Audubon Sanctuary) vs Griffin gate which is built among neighborhoods. Griffin has fantastic greens. BUT, it'll run a little more unless you get a good deal on Golfnow or wherever.

If you're willing to drive an extra 15 minutes out of town, take the beautiful drive to Paris KY. Play Houston Oaks. It's one of my favorites and I bet you can play it cheaper than Kearney

Now that I'm thinking about it...the cheapest way to play would be get you to pay. LOL

No seriously though, thanks for the input. Are you free on the morning of the 26th?

Ha! Now that's thinking outside the box...
I'm afraid I can't join you. One of my coworkers is off next week so I'll be working two roles.

To be clear about my above posts. I think you would do well picking Kearney Hill. It should be in fantastic shape when you're there. It's a win-win picking between Houston Oaks and Kearney Hill.

My vote would go to Kearney or Griffin Gate.

I have not played these this year, but Kearney is always in good shape, and Griffin Gate as well. They are two totally different style course as Kearney is a links style course. The Gay Brewer course is also very nice with tight fairways and postage stamp green. Tates Creek use to be my home course, has lots of elevation changes and blind shots with little water. No driving ranges at any but Kearney so if you want to warm up keep that in mind. I played Huston Oaks late last year and as always the course was fantastic.

Really you can't go wrong with Kearney, Huston Oaks, Griffin Gate or the Brewer course. Just depends on which style of course you prefer. Good luck and hit them straight

I have not played these this year, but Kearney is always in good shape, and Griffin Gate as well. They are two totally different style course as Kearney is a links style course. The Gay Brewer course is also very nice with tight fairways and postage stamp green. Tates Creek use to be my home course, has lots of elevation changes and blind shots with little water. No driving ranges at any but Kearney so if you want to warm up keep that in mind. I played Huston Oaks late last year and as always the course was fantastic.

Really you can't go wrong with Kearney, Huston Oaks, Griffin Gate or the Brewer course. Just depends on which style of course you prefer. Good luck and hit them straight

Now you're making me have to think about it. Turns out Kearney is 11 minutes from where we are staying, so it's at the top. I've never gotten to play a true links course, but it does look similar in elevation change as the two local courses I play. I'm use to postage stamp greens at one of my local courses, so the larger greens on these none Gay Brewer courses might be nice. Griffin Gate looks nice, but how close are the homes to the course? Im not sure I want to buy any windows.

No homes on front nine, if you hook one left on 10 tee, that's the one that get hit the most. They are all condos for the most, so on some of the hole you have the on both sides, but still not bad.

No homes on front nine, if you hook one left on 10 tee, that's the one that get hit the most. They are all condos for the most, so on some of the hole you have the on both sides, but still not bad.

Adding to this, the tightest holes also seemed to be the shorter ones so you're not playing a 450yd par 4 with OB on both sides 30yds from center. And it's been said already, but I love the greens at Griffin Gate. Last I played was September last year. When all other courses show the wear and tear of summer rounds, the greens here were pristine

Just trying to make it a tough decision for ya! :golf:

Just trying to make it a tough decision for ya! :golf:

Thanks bud. I'll take another look at Griffin Gate and see if Harry Potter will be playing... I mean...what the rates are like.

Kearny Hills is a nice track. I've played it a few times. Heck go east and play Old Silo... it's not that far.

You people didn't tell me that Griffin Gate is closer than Kearney... I see what you're doing... You're trying to make me play 36 in a day. I mean I can't get a tee time at Kearney until after 11:30...so I guess it's possible.

Last edited:

Houston Oaks is amazing! Very nice. I've played it and want to play it again.

Griffin Gate was a beautiful course!! Thanks to all of the THPers that recommended it. Kentucky was beautiful, and the course was a pleasure to play, even though I played poorly. I wish I lived in Lexington, it seemed like a nice little city, so that I could play the course more frequently.

Griffin Gate was a beautiful course!! Thanks to all of the THPers that recommended it. Kentucky was beautiful, and the course was a pleasure to play, even though I played poorly. I wish I lived in Lexington, it seemed like a nice little city, so that I could play the course more frequently.

Glad you enjoyed your time here. Come back again! :wavey:

Back