Wedge game and chipping.

I think you just need to accept the rollout you're getting for now dude. As you improve your technique a little bit you will start to notice the ball hit the brakes more and more on certain shots.

Last weekend you were using an e6 which isn't a ball that's going to hit the anchors around the green, but it's very playable.

I think you just need to accept the rollout you're getting for now dude. As you improve your technique a little bit you will start to notice the ball hit the brakes more and more on certain shots.

Last weekend you were using an e6 which isn't a ball that's going to hit the anchors around the green, but it's very playable.

Yeah understandable, just hard to play a $4 ball when I could lose 3-5 a round lol

Also keep in mind that unless you're on a perfectly clean lie, any amount of grass between clubface and ball is going to negate most, if not all of any potential spin you might have generated.

These are all very valid points and until you have the technique I would recommend to keep the ball out of the air as much as possible so just try not to fly it for very long unless you have to clear a bunker or its a longer chip shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have noticed a few speaking about toe'd. Can someone explain please

When I think of a toe down chip, I think of choking down a little bit, standing closer to the ball and truly using a putter motion. You level out the sole and allow the bounce to brush the top of the grass, it feels like the toe is far lower than usual. Works best when the ball is sitting up or on a tight lie.

If you want to add spin and check it around the greens, you need to cut across the ball. So open your stance to your target, weight and hands forward. Take club back just outside your intended line and swing thru on that line. The ball will have extra spin and check up nicely. Open the face for more lofted chips. Keep it square for lower check and release shots.

Also try to engage the bounce on the wedge. This and any other required a lot of practice. The proper choice in club plays a roll in this as well.

i agree, knowing your game and what will happen can save shots. Over time with practice anyone get this type of shot dialed in.

If you are talking about a small chip around the green, nobody gets a ton of spin of those shots. Not even the pros. Part of the spin equation is club head speed and you can't have too much for those type of shots. JB's mention of the bump and run is the way to go with those shots. Try different clubs from your highest lofted wedge down to your short irons to see how they perform for you and how much roll out you can expect from each.

When it comes to pitches from a little longer out, I still think the best you can hope for is the one hop and stop landing. Again, club speed (or lack-thereof) pays a big roll here.

In my opinion it's going to take 50+ yards before you can generate enough club speed to give your ball a chance to spin back any.

All that being said, you can help yourself with spin by playing the right shafts for you, ensuring the club face and grooves are clean, using a urethane ball, and technique to achieve optimal spin loft for the desired shot (which is more than just, and not always, hitting down on the ball or with your hands in front of the ball at impact).

The first of your quote really isn't that accurate. Pros and better players can produce plenty of spin to keep the with in a few of the pin on any shot. Its all technique and practice.

Try not to use your wrist much. Keep your arms straight and swing just with your shoulders sort of like a putting stroke.

Getting the ball to spin around the greens is a very difficult thing to do IMO. It should be a last resort type of thing. If there is any other option play that shot first. For me spinning the ball around the green is all about the lie and perfect contact.

i agree with this. In most cases for chipping,I use a PW with a shoulder turn and play the rollout. In special cases with a mound and little green to work with... I'll resort to a flop shot using only wrist and hip turn, but that is only a go to shot for me in those two instances that calls for me to stick it with no or little rollout.

It's going to be hard to get that kind of action with an e6 ball. Even then it's a hard skill that requires a lot of practice.

I might suggest a different technique, something Seve did. The hands kind of come around the body on the chip and stay low near the front hip. It produces a softer landing ball that doesn't roll out nearly as much on the green. This is a soft shot not a spinning shot. You can find video demonstrating it; I think Michael Breed or School of Golf did a segment on the technique. I find it a million times easier than trying to produce spin.

Yeah understandable, just hard to play a $4 ball when I could lose 3-5 a round lol

Oh if you're using an E6 you're not getting much spin around the green, so you're really not going to get that thing to check up no matter what you do. Surlyn you play the roll, urethane you can try and see if you can get it to check. If I ever have a surlyn in play, I play the release. I guess I could be wrong, but from what I have seen, much much less spin around the green with those types of balls.

Oh if you're using an E6 you're not getting much spin around the green, so you're really not going to get that thing to check up no matter what you do. Surlyn you play the roll, urethane you can try and see if you can get it to check. If I ever have a surlyn in play, I play the release. I guess I could be wrong, but from what I have seen, much much less spin around the green with those types of balls.
Less spin on partial shots by a bunch, pretty sure surlyn doesn't grab as well so double wammy. Instead of one bounce stop it is usually one bounce, bounce and roll forward 5 feet. Very manageable though, just play for it.

With proper technique you can spin any ball.

With proper technique you can spin any ball.

So there are no differences between surlyn and urethane covers when it comes to spin?

I didn't say that.

can you spin a surlyn cover enough to check/stop it on a partial wedge shot? Not necessarily you specifically, I'm just asking an honest question about it. I've personally never found a surlyn ball I could fully check up on a green, while I don't have that problem with most urethane covers I've tried unless the greens are super firm.

can you spin a surlyn cover enough to check/stop it on a partial wedge shot? Not necessarily you specifically, I'm just asking an honest question about it. I've personally never found a surlyn ball I could fully check up on a green, while I don't have that problem with most urethane covers I've tried unless the greens are super firm.

100% yes

The first of your quote really isn't that accurate. Pros and better players can produce plenty of spin to keep the with in a few of the pin on any shot. Its all technique and practice.

I think the problem is a confusion between chips and pitches/toss shots. A chip shot is defined by the PGA as:

A low-running shot played around the greens where the ball spends more time on the ground than in the air. (She saved par with a beautiful chip and run that ended inches from the hole).

http://www.pga.com/golf-instruction/instruction-feature/fundamentals/golf-glossary-and-golf-terms

Go to youtube and look at tour pros hitting low chip shots. You won't find any that spin and stop. Most run 10+ feet. I know that a lot of that is due to the fast greens that tour pros are playing on, but even on slower greens you'll get some roll out on a true "chip" shot regardless of your skill, technique, equipment. The physics demand it to be so, just like the physics demand launch angle to remain near constant regardless of club speed.

Here's a video of some of Spieth's short game shots and he gets 10+ feet of roll out on at least 2 true "chips" in the video:

This is like the old ball flight laws. Someone says something can be done using old verbiage or incorrect verbiage and these myths of golf are created. This leads to frustration to amateurs who have no idea how to do what they think they are supposed to do. When in reality, they can't do it because the physics won't allow it.

All that being said, the longer the shot, the better opportunity for spin. And when you get to a pitch shot around the green - a shot that spends more time in the air than on the ground - spin is going to play a bigger factor. That's when technique and equipment need to be looked at most.

I think the problem is a confusion between chips and pitches/toss shots. A chip shot is defined by the PGA as:

A low-running shot played around the greens where the ball spends more time on the ground than in the air. (She saved par with a beautiful chip and run that ended inches from the hole).

http://www.pga.com/golf-instruction/instruction-feature/fundamentals/golf-glossary-and-golf-terms

Go to youtube and look at tour pros hitting low chip shots. You won't find any that spin and stop. Most run 10+ feet. I know that a lot of that is due to the fast greens that tour pros are playing on, but even on slower greens you'll get some roll out on a true "chip" shot regardless of your skill, technique, equipment. The physics demand it to be so, just like the physics demand launch angle to remain near constant regardless of club speed.

Here's a video of some of Spieth's short game shots and he gets 10+ feet of roll out on at least 2 true "chips" in the video:

This is like the old ball flight laws. Someone says something can be done using old verbiage or incorrect verbiage and these myths of golf are created. This leads to frustration to amateurs who have no idea how to do what they think they are supposed to do. When in reality, they can't do it because the physics won't allow it.

All that being said, the longer the shot, the better opportunity for spin. And when you get to a pitch shot around the green - a shot that spends more time in the air than on the ground - spin is going to play a bigger factor. That's when technique and equipment need to be looked at most.

So a chip shot isn't played within a close proximity to the green? A few yards off the green? What would you call a shot that is short sided, played low, hits short of pin and stops? What would you call a shot with 40' feet of green that hits the green checks and rolls out? These aren't both chip shots?

Isn't a pitch shot played from longer distances from the green?

I can't get a surlyn ball to stop where it lands from inside 30 yards, probably need to work on the technique.

Is it more of an open stance and hitting across the ball, ball first using the bounce?

Question here: We all know that chips are close to or just off the green. And. Pitches are usually further out. There seems to be this "grey" area between the two, where you may employ a combination of your personal pitch and chip technique. I'm not sure. But does this seem accurate? Or, is it more of a personal thing?

Question here: We all know that chips are close to or just off the green. And. Pitches are usually further out. There seems to be this "grey" area between the two, where you may employ a combination of your personal pitch and chip technique. I'm not sure. But does this seem accurate? Or, is it more of a personal thing?
It could be a preference but usually is dictated by conditions, lie, pin position, green speed, distance, obstacles between you and the pin, etc.

That seems perfectly accurate to me. I think its a vague line that delineates between chip and pitch, and like you said on certain shots, one will incorporate elements of both based on the individuals comfort. There are many different ways to get your ball close to the hole and being able to play mutiple shots, regardless of what one calls it, is important.

Back