Wedge game and chipping.

Conditions play a huge part in spin #'s. a good lie is one thing, but the firmness of the strike area and the firmness of the green play another. If the distance is with 30 yards I always play it like a release shot. It just gives me more room for error. From 30 yards and in anything within 6' I am a happy with.. 6' right, 6' left, 6' long... 6' short doesnt thrill me but I am cool with it. If I make 50% of those putts I am happy as well. #GolfIsHard

I can't get a surlyn ball to stop where it lands from inside 30 yards, probably need to work on the technique.

Is it more of an open stance and hitting across the ball, ball first using the bounce?

Spin & angle of descent are big factors in short pitches & chips. I don't really change my pitching/chipping technique with in 30 yards. Really the same thing in my mind. Lie is the main factor.. If I get a nesty lia with grass all around the ball.. deepish grass.. I will go to a cock & pop thing I learned from Pelz. outside of that.. The method is really like a putting motion. Land the ball on the green & judge the run out. If it is a deep green.. less dynamic loft. Some change clubs.. I change ball position because that is what I have alway done. I found it to be easier to change length & tempo than clubs for 30-35 yards & in. If I get short sided with limited green I will get the loft way up. I do not like the look of landing the ball in the frogspawn most of the time. My putt may be longer but I know I am on the green putting. I try to only chip once.. LOL...

Suryln balls are tough.. Any ball inside of 30 yards is hit or miss for check. so many factors.. Grain, uphill/downhill, lie... That is what makes this game so elusive. You have to be good/decent at so many things just to be not terrible in golf. It always keeps you on your toes. .

Spin & angle of descent are big factors in short pitches & chips. I don't really change my pitching/chipping technique with in 30 yards. Really the same thing in my mind. Lie is the main factor.. If I get a nesty lia with grass all around the ball.. deepish grass.. I will go to a cock & pop thing I learned from Pelz. outside of that.. The method is really like a putting motion. Land the ball on the green & judge the run out. If it is a deep green.. less dynamic loft. Some change clubs.. I change ball position because that is what I have alway done. I found it to be easier to change length & tempo than clubs for 30-35 yards & in. If I get short sided with limited green I will get the loft way up. I do not like the look of landing the ball in the frogspawn most of the time. My putt may be longer but I know I am on the green putting. I try to only chip once.. LOL...

Suryln balls are tough.. Any ball inside of 30 yards is hit or miss for check. so many factors.. Grain, uphill/downhill, lie... That is what makes this game so elusive. You have to be good/decent at so many things just to be not terrible in golf. It always keeps you on your toes. .
Yeah I was thinking shots most of the time you can afford to let the ball run out a bit. Every once in a while you get perfect lie from fairway 30 yards out with the pin just over a knob where you don't want the ball rolling so you try to fly it and stop on a dime. Doesn't come up all that often but a great shot to practice mostly for technique if anything.

Back