Release for speed

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
Alright Freddie, let's kick off National instruction day.

saw this video you posted in another thread and I suffer from the tearing of the glove in the thumb and heel pad. I thought it was from re griping during the swing until I saw this video. I also fight getting extended or releasing the club.

can you break this video down a little bit for us layman and how to perform the release?

Allowing the release is something my pro's talked to me about and we worked on at my first lesson this year. Definitely interested to hear Freddie's take on that part of the swing.

The glove tear is do to releasing too soon and the grip actually twisting in your hand. I don't think it's as extreme as MB showed in the video but there are a good many golfers that release early.

His drill makes you concentrate on extending through the shot. Instead of focusing on getting back to square at impact. He has extended the zone to a few inches in front of the ball. The angles are still be held, spine angle is kept and hips still release. But instead of stabbing at the ball, he has you swinging through and squaring the club after the ball. This is not to say it won't be square at impact but if you focus in front of the ball, the power will be stronger. You'll keep the club square longer.

I've been working on this and it works. It felt we if at first but has really made a difference with all the clubs in my bag.

A good drill is to place a tee in front of the ball your hitting. The goal is to knock that tee out of the ground. If you don't stay down and thru, you'll miss the tee. If you do stay down, you'll see a higher ball and that tee will be gone. You'll also find your balance a bit off since you've just extended through the hit zone.

Interesting video. I never really thought about losing power or where my release is, but I do get holes in my thumb heel pad. I'm curious....

One of the more difficult things to master in my opinion. I know I never have! I get it right "sometimes"!

The glove tear is do to releasing too soon and the grip actually twisting in your hand. I don't think it's as extreme as MB showed in the video but there are a good many golfers that release early.

His drill makes you concentrate on extending through the shot. Instead of focusing on getting back to square at impact. He has extended the zone to a few inches in front of the ball. The angles are still be held, spine angle is kept and hips still release. But instead of stabbing at the ball, he has you swinging through and squaring the club after the ball. This is not to say it won't be square at impact but if you focus in front of the ball, the power will be stronger. You'll keep the club square longer.

I've been working on this and it works. It felt we if at first but has really made a difference with all the clubs in my bag.

A good drill is to place a tee in front of the ball your hitting. The goal is to knock that tee out of the ground. If you don't stay down and thru, you'll miss the tee. If you do stay down, you'll see a higher ball and that tee will be gone. You'll also find your balance a bit off since you've just extended through the hit zone.

thanks. The tee drill will be something I give a try. Woukd the tee be in line with target or slightly to the right to help promote the inside-out swing?

I'd say slightly to the outside and 3 inches in front
thanks. The tee drill will be something I give a try. Woukd the tee be in line with target or slightly to the right to help promote the inside-out swing?

Thanks for another thought to mess with my head!

Seriously, I never knew this and I definitely suffer this malady. I'll work on holding off a little longer.

This is just one of many reasons the gloves could be wearing. Typically this wear and tear is due to poor grip pressure and position. Experimenting with a new grip can also do away with this type of wear and tear.
Thanks for another thought to mess with my head!

Seriously, I never knew this and I definitely suffer this malady. I'll work on holding off a little longer.

Back