What would be the reason for not talking full swings with some of your wedges?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Inconsistency on my part, I generally don't feel a great deal of confidence taking a full swing with a high lofted wedge. If I catch it thin or blade it or catch it fat, it's gonna be a big miss.

From purely a loft standpoint, you could go 48 and 51. You could also have your SW bent a degree or two to achieve more uniformity in your loft "spacing."

But the one thing I will caution you on is that while your PW is 44*, it may launch differently and have more distance per yard than your wedges might, which are typically just blades. So I'd probably go hit some wedges to find out which wedge fits the yardage number you are looking for after your PW.

~Rock

As some have pointed out, figure out how far your PW goes and work from there... And how many more clubs do you have room for? 2? 3? 4?

I do find it amazing how people on here say they hit such and such wedge 126 yards or 132 yards etc etc... C'mon folks, be realistic... Have you really spend a lot of time measuring your wedges to realize that 126 is the exact PW distance?

I am a 3 handicap who plays 10-15 times a year right now. My 45* PW is 125-130 yards, my 48* wedge is 110-115 yards, my 54* wedge is 95-100 yards and my 60* wedge is 80-85 yards... I only have 3* of difference from my PW to my next wedge, but I am going from a Z545 to a Rotex 2.0 Blade wedge so it is the yardage I am worried about, not the amount of degrees of loft...

Not a whole lot to add here but..
PW @ 45*
I go 48/52/56/60/64... I always carry 52/56/64 and may drop or add depending on what I think I need. All have different bounce and sole. I hit them all about equally over time i would guess with the exception of the 64*. It is my pet club inside of 50 yards currently. I can hit it low or high and have a good feel with it. I have tried to bring my game closer to the ground in the past few years but I have had better luck with using traj over spin to get the ball where I want it. YMMV

Wedge gapping

it is the yardage I am worried about, not the amount of degrees of loft...

This!! 100%. As far as I'm concerned, loft means nothing these days, with weird lofts and cg's coming into play. My set wedge is 43. My next wedge is 52. The distances are fine though. (Although I'm just about to add a 48 purely for green side chip and runs. Can't get the feel for the shot with my set graphite shaft, and 52 is too high a loft for the shot).

Good point about starting at PW and working from there. I have room for 1 more club.
As some have pointed out, figure out how far your PW goes and work from there... And how many more clubs do you have room for? 2? 3? 4?

I do find it amazing how people on here say they hit such and such wedge 126 yards or 132 yards etc etc... C'mon folks, be realistic... Have you really spend a lot of time measuring your wedges to realize that 126 is the exact PW distance?

I am a 3 handicap who plays 10-15 times a year right now. My 45* PW is 125-130 yards, my 48* wedge is 110-115 yards, my 54* wedge is 95-100 yards and my 60* wedge is 80-85 yards... I only have 3* of difference from my PW to my next wedge, but I am going from a Z545 to a Rotex 2.0 Blade wedge so it is the yardage I am worried about, not the amount of degrees of loft...

What would be the reason for not talking full swings with some of your wedges?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Much easier to keep them lower and a little less spin. Plus there is rarely a reason to hit a PW 140-150+

This is what game golf is useful for, they give you a typical number which is basically an average minus the outliers. Once I have 50 shots with a club I am good to use the exact game golf number. Any less and I don't think it is enough to make up for the fact you might not be trying to hit it as far on certain shots.

The best way would to be jump on an accurate outdoor launch monitor if you have access to one for a few hours.

I just downloaded the Game Golf app. It seems to have some really neat features. Do you like using it?
This is what game golf is useful for, they give you a typical number which is basically an average minus the outliers. Once I have 50 shots with a club I am good to use the exact game golf number. Any less and I don't think it is enough to make up for the fact you might not be trying to hit it as far on certain shots.

The best way would to be jump on an accurate outdoor launch monitor if you have access to one for a few hours.

The app is a pain, I have the original unit that goes on your belt and has bluetooth tags and you tap them against the unit. I plug it into my computer when I get home and upload it from there. Haven't tried the game golf live that works with the app. Pretty sure you can't use the game golf live in tournaments as well.

My pick :

Combinations #1 : 50 , 54 , 58
Combinations #2 : 52 , 56 , 60
Combinations #3 : 52 , 58
Combinations #4 : 54 , 60

Back