Straight Razor Shaving

So I'm down to two Razor heads, that means I am going safety Razor in the near future. Any thoughts for what a beginner should buy.

I started with a merkur HD and still use it to this day and as soon as my IKOn shows up it will be moved to the firehouse.

Do you have a price point in mind or a preference for made in USA or don't care?

I would start with a closed bar over an open comb due to the closed bar generally being less aggressive of the two, buy a sample pack of razors to see which you like best.

As a newbie to DE shaving myself, I'd concur with everything golfinFF said. Closed bar is definitely a more forgiving way to start out. I haven't personally used the Merkur, but the HD is one that I know is recommended as a first razor. I watched some youtube videos when I was looking to get into this and found one that recommended the HD as well as the Parker 99R and Edwin Jaegger DE89. I ended up deciding to buy the Parker 99R, because it's got a longer handle that is knurled for better grip. Some reviewers felt that the extra length and weight actually made it easier to use and that made sense to me. I've been using it for over a month now and am 100% happy with my choice. The only issues I've had with cuts have been with a shaving cream that I just don't think provides adequate cushion for the job.

Speaking of creams, I've been experimenting with a few to see what works best for me. I got one from New York Shave Company and I love the way it smells, but it's the one that just doesn't seem to lubricate the skin nearly enough. Taylor of Old Bond Street has been working really well, though (I currently have the St. James, but have Sandalwood and Jermyn Street being shipped to try as well). The cream really makes a difference. Like golfinFF suggested, I bought a sample pack of blades from Amazon and I'm glad I did. It's given me the opportunity to quickly identify which blades I do and don't like. BTW, I got the razor on Amazon for about $30, a nice Omega badger hair brush for about $30 and you can get several good creams and other accessories there as well. Another good site I've found is West Coast Shave. They've got a huge selection.

Wake

Going USA made usually leads to a hirer cost as most of them are Stainless Steel, Ikon has an entry level razor at $75 that has both a straight bar and open comb on the same head. Weber Razor's are also made in the USA from Stainless Steel and are a solid bar only design and they are $70, the last option I found is the cheapest American made is bobs razor works.

http://ikonrazors.com/product-category/ikon-razors/

http://www.weberrazor.com/products

https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/razor-handles

Check out west coast shaving as they have a ton of styles in a plethora of prices.

for those of you using DE safety razors, what blades have you had the best luck with? So far, I'd say my best performers have been Shark Super Chrome, Wilkinson Sword & 7AM Plus Platinum.

I've tried several others, including multiple Astra and Derby. Derby is sharp and feels nice when I'm shaving, but they tear my neck up for some reason. I've heard Feathers are the standard in terms of sharpness, but I don't know that I need anything sharper than what I already have.

I used to use Wilkinson Sword.

They had a nice selection of straight razors and safety razors at The Art of Shaving store in Providence the other day. I was tempted but I only shave my neck (under my beard) so I just grabbed the shave cream I went in for and left.

They had a nice selection of straight razors and safety razors at The Art of Shaving store in Providence the other day. I was tempted but I only shave my neck (under my beard) so I just grabbed the shave cream I went in for and left.
I like some of their creams

I like some of their creams
I picked up the lavender one this time. A tub lasts me months, I'm almost out of the shave oil again that's the best stuff

I picked up the lavender one this time. A tub lasts me months, I'm almost out of the shave oil again that's the best stuff

I have switched from their lemon to T&H lime, but both are solid.

I have switched from their lemon to T&H lime, but both are solid.
I wasn't a fan of the lemon. Outside of that you really can't go wrong.

I just got some Truefitt &Hill Grafton cream and it seems really nice so far.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I just got some Truefitt &Hill Grafton cream and it seems really nice so far.

There West Indian Limes is like my go to cream.

There West Indian Limes is like my go to cream.

That might be the next one I try. I've been really curious about it . From the description and reviews that I read it sounds like a great scent.

That might be the next one I try. I've been really curious about it . From the description and reviews that I read it sounds like a great scent.

Its really like and refreshing.

My favorite product ever is a West Indian Limes also and its from Geo Trumper called Skin Food.

for those of you using DE safety razors, what blades have you had the best luck with? So far, I'd say my best performers have been Shark Super Chrome, Wilkinson Sword & 7AM Plus Platinum.

I've tried several others, including multiple Astra and Derby. Derby is sharp and feels nice when I'm shaving, but they tear my neck up for some reason. I've heard Feathers are the standard in terms of sharpness, but I don't know that I need anything sharper than what I already have.

Oddly enough I've had good luck with ones from Kroger

Just ordered a new brush from whipped dog interested to see the quality with his low prices

Used my ikon with a merkur blade today for the first time. I didn't care for the merkur in my other razor and do not believe I'll care for them in this one.

The razor has a nice weight to it and with the longer handle feels good. The black finish looks awesome.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413664408.674357.jpg

Hey wake you find anything that interests you yet?

Just ordered a new brush from whipped dog interested to see the quality with his low prices

Let me know how this is brother.
I use one from Art of Shaving, and it is quite a few years old and thought about adding another.

Hey wake you find anything that interests you yet?

No I haven't looked much more yet.

Can I find a good option at an art of shaving, or is everything going to be overpriced?

Let me know how this is brother.
I use one from Art of Shaving, and it is quite a few years old and thought about adding another.

Will do it showed up today while I'm at the station so it'll be a few days.

Tried what I believe to be a boar haired brush that came from napa soap company and I didn't like it one bit. It created a poor lather that didn't seem to protect well.

I've been using a vulfix travel pure badger shave brush for a long while even at home and really like it. If the one from whipped is as good I'll order another one with a custom pottery handle.

What one do you have from the art of shaving?

I have the Black Shaving brush from them. 100% badger and I got it on sale years ago in a kit for under $50 that included some cream and oil.

No I haven't looked much more yet.

Can I find a good option at an art of shaving, or is everything going to be overpriced?

They aren't over priced but they aren't the cheapest either.

West coast shaving seems to be a good place to get a start with good stuff at good prices. Classic shaving is another great place as well from my looking about the web.

There are cheaper places if you want to hunt for every individual piece but those two are right in line with price IMO.

I have the Black Shaving brush from them. 100% badger and I got it on sale years ago in a kit for under $50 that included some cream and oil.

Seems like a good deal, they have two stores closish that I may get to just to see what they got which I assume is more than they show online.

Seems like a good deal, they have two stores closish that I may get to just to see what they got which I assume is more than they show online.

Similar actually. I got mine from Nordstroms at their mens sale. They have a number of really solid brands.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet tonight, guess I'll go with the Merkur 34c HD as FF recommended. Care to recommend a cream and brush?

Back