THP Preview - Nike VR_S Covert Irons

Has Anybody Hit The Covert Irons Yet?

Has Anybody Hit The Covert Irons Yet?

I was just wondering. Because everyone is talking about the drivers and woods, but not the irons.

Yes I have.

Are they good?

I hit these today. Thick sole. Maybe a little more than the VRS forged. But at address the sole and cavity are beautifully hidden in the 7i.

The cavity may not be pretty. But don't sleep on them. They are fantastic GI clubs.

They have a look only a mother could love. But they actually sit very cleanly on the ground. I like the look at address. Just not in hand.

They have a look only a mother could love. But they actually sit very cleanly on the ground. I like the look at address. Just not in hand.

Do you remember the VRII Pro Cavity back irons? Did they look similar at address if you recall?

Do you remember the VRII Pro Cavity back irons? Did they look similar at address if you recall?

I do remember them. Those were a forgotten iron, much better than people gave them credit for. Performance off of the Coverts is better, from what I can remember. But I don't recall the look at address of the Pro Cavity Backs.

I'm sorry but I can't get over how ugly these things are. I mean I haven't hit them, so if they are money, I'm sorry! But they're not much for looks. I'm a Nike fan and these just bug me. Hopefully some of you hit them well though. That's all that matters

I'm sorry but I can't get over how ugly these things are. I mean I haven't hit them, so if they are money, I'm sorry! But they're not much for looks. I'm a Nike fan and these just bug me. Hopefully some of you hit them well though. That's all that matters

Yeah they're not pretty. I imagine they will challenge their owners to love them.

seeing them in hand, at address I could game them with no issues. The looks of the cavity is not great, but I don't see that when I set up for a shot. I like the finish on them better than the finish on the AMP Cell irons. It's more matted which I prefer

hawk, have you got to hit these irons? if so any thoughts about them?
We have a little information on the next generation of the Nike VR_S iron line.

The 3-7 irons are cast from a high-strength, 450-Carpenter steel to maximize ball speed for added distance. The short irons - 8-iron through wedge - are made from 1704 stainless steel for a to enhance the feel.

The stock shaft is True Temper Dynamic Gold, and the clubs should cost about $699.

Nike-VR_S-Covert-Irons-Topper_640-640x330-L.jpg

jb, have you done any testing with these? if so what are your thoughts on these.

Only 10 swings. I found options that I enjoyed far more in the same category.

Sorry I haven't hit them.

I have taken a few swing with these as my dad purchased these. While I only have limited time with these, I think they are good but I don't think they are for everybody.

I like the looks of these in hand and at address. If I were in the market for some gi irons they would have to be on the list.

jb, i'm curious what options are you talking about?

I found a muted almost rubbery feel/sound. I preferred the Cleveland line and the Callaway line in the same category of oversize club heads with forgiveness.

I finally found a set of these to hit today and really enjoyed them. If I didn't love my Mizunos so much these would be my choice. I still may end up buying them for my girlfriend or buy them just to have them,lol I know that sounds stupid but I really liked them. I was getting some crazy long distances off them on the monitor and I think it was accurate bc I hit a few other clubs that were more around distances I would expect so Idk.

This is an old thread, but I took these out today and was pleasantly surprised. Only shot an 85 today, but that was due to 4 bad holes, and had nothing to do with these irons. Gamed the 6-AW; I left the HB3 3-hyron and added the RazrX 4 and 5 hybrids.

The cavity back is a bit odd as has been mentioned, but you never notice them once you take them out of the bag. Might keep these around a while. We're playing again tomorrow so I might be a little more used to them by then.

Round two is in the books. I like them all, but the gap wedge. The TaylorMade is going to stay put and this one is coming out. Not seeing a lot of difference in distance or direction that would be caused by the irons (my technique is getting better, so that's helping), but for some reason I feel a bit of confidence with them that has been lacking recently. And that's 90% of it. That's two rounds of 85 with these clubs, which three years ago I would have killed for. Right now it is acceptable because I haven't gotten near the rounds I had planned to this year, so I am a bit rusty.

Smalls do the ones you are playing have graphite shafts?

Yep, these. This is the one in the 4 iron that I am not using right now. I like how they look. Also like the grips. Nothing fancy, just some Golf Pride, but they are new, and I have been needing new grips!

hapa5yny.jpg

Round two is in the books. I like them all, but the gap wedge. The TaylorMade is going to stay put and this one is coming out. Not seeing a lot of difference in distance or direction that would be caused by the irons (my technique is getting better, so that's helping), but for some reason I feel a bit of confidence with them that has been lacking recently. And that's 90% of it. That's two rounds of 85 with these clubs, which three years ago I would have killed for. Right now it is acceptable because I haven't gotten near the rounds I had planned to this year, so I am a bit rusty.

It's always nice to find something unexpected that works. I still dig the looks of these and the colour of the shafts make them look that much better.

Keep going Smalls sub 80 is just around the corner.

Back