Do You Have Time To Learn Rules/Decisions of Golf?

I have the USGA's Illustrated rules of golf. One of the best purchases I've made. I've read through the most common rule occurrences multiple times. I'd never read the decisions. If I encounter a situation in a tournament that needs further clarification, I play two balls from that spot and talk with the tourney official afterwards. If its a round of golf with my friends, we have a 1 to 2 minute chat, make a decision and play on. In that case we are our own "committee", at least that is how I see it.

I don't have the time to read through the decisions, but I have the time to read the basic rules.

In a word... no.

Golf is a recreation for most people, not work, nor should it be.

That being said, anyone who plays competitively and/or just wishes to keep a proper handicap should imo understand the rules well enough to play the game properly enough with perhaps the exception of the rare occurrence that may happen only once in a long while.

Of course if one has the interest and desire to absorb the entire rule book, then more power to you. But I think through time (trial and error if you will) most people will learn the basic majority well enough to play an honest game simply by default especially those who play competitively.

I think the rules along with all the decision rules are extremely lengthy and imo would take quite the process to actually absorb them to the point of memorizing them for most people. And I don't think its necessary at all. I just don't think one needs to know something they only found themselves involved with 7 times per entire golf season. Now, something that happens once per round or even once per two rounds is then imo often enough to warrant an understanding of the scenario so it can be scored properly.

I know some of the rules, but to know them ALL? I dont.
Not sure I'm inclined to learn them all, there are quick reference apps for that.

latest

14.7 hours to read=3 1/2 rounds of golf. You tell me what you think I would do??

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I think it would actually take longer to get through the rules to be honest. If you read something that needs clarification, which I imagine there are many times that items are referenced, I would need to be flipping back and forth.

It would be a huge amount of info to process and then interpret properly.

Don't see me trying that one anytime soon.

Actually, my first efforts at really studying the rules were done during my lunch at work. I'd look at one or two rules each day, read them carefully, and imagine how they would work on the course. That was back in 1987. I didn't get my first copy of the Decisions until 1997, but I did that the same way, reading a few pages during lunch at work - not to memorize, just to be familiar with them.

I wouldn't expect the average golfer to care much about memorizing the Decisions, or for most even to read them, although they are a more interesting read than the rules are. Only the most die hard rules experts take it that far. But the Rules just aren't that difficult. I'm not a college grad, just a journeyman machinist. If I can grasp them, seems like they shouldn't be out of reach for most people.

I've skimmed through the rules and tried to take in/digest them. I was left pretty overwhelmed and found myself going to the rules that most often apply to me like causal water, ball in the hazzard, ball out of bounds, where/how to drop, etc... I think a bifurcation of the rules has to happen at some point to help the "casual golfer" enjoy the round, but still play with some type of structure. There is no way unless you are in league play or tournament atmosphere that the average golfer can remember all the rules and the nuances on how to apply them to our advantage.

If I were playing professionally, you bet I'd take the time. Me, now. hell nah...

Even if you play competitive all you need is a general knowledge of the rules. I don't feel reading the decisions is at all necessary. In all the competitive events I have played I can't think of a situation that has arose. That we could not figure out within our group.

It's pretty interesting that even out of the more committed golfer base, a strong majority show limited interest in knowing the full depths of the rule book.

I would say that's quite telling that the system in place is far too complex for the amateur side of the game, regardless of their decisions at the tour level.

Do I have the time, probably. I could read through it in full and try to digest everything instead of THPing or rewatching Daredevil again, but do I care to? Hell no.

Honestly, when I learn more about the actual rules of this game I usually just shake my head and say that makes no sense.

We use to carry the rule & decisions book (all in one) in our back pockets. Now the decisions book is a three ring binder. The decisions were in the rules book for 45 years. Totally out of hand. Make the Player's a major and tell the USGA bye bye.........

I wouldn't expect the average golfer to care much about memorizing the Decisions, or for most even to read them, although they are a more interesting read than the rules are. Only the most die hard rules experts take it that far. But the Rules just aren't that difficult. I'm not a college grad, just a journeyman machinist. If I can grasp them, seems like they shouldn't be out of reach for most people.

... I think a bifurcation of the rules has to happen at some point to help the "casual golfer" enjoy the round, but still play with some type of structure. There is no way unless you are in league play or tournament atmosphere that the average golfer can remember all the rules and the nuances on how to apply them to our advantage.

It's pretty interesting that even out of the more committed golfer base, a strong majority show limited interest in knowing the full depths of the rule book.

I would say that's quite telling that the system in place is far too complex for the amateur side of the game, regardless of their decisions at the tour level.

Bifurcation or not, I would emphasize what Fourputt says. "the rules aren't that difficult". One can know them with a reasonable (and not overwhelming) amount of effort if they really desired to. Its the subsections, decisions, and coverage of all the different scenarios which can be too much but not really nearly the same for the general rules. But even if bifurcation were to materialize, its not like we still wouldn't have subsections, decisions, and coverage of the different scenarios. I think almost as much of that would still exist. As a matter of fact I would assume that for every rule changed for the amateur player, it would probably create new types of what if's that need to be answered via subsections and decisions anyway. Desiring bifurcation so the game can be played a bit more enjoyably wouldn't really equate to a simpler rule book imo..

Just for one small example I will use a vey common and popular bifurcation desired rule. The (would be) getting a free drop from a divot on the fairway rule. That, while sensible imo would create one heck of a chapter on what exactly determines a divot. Things llike - When would a divot that is healed or healing up still be considered a divot? How about determining a healing divot vs an imperfection in the fairway? etc etc.. Im not looking to discuss such questions but simply bringing up how rule changes still create their own subsections , and decisions in the rule book. Our game may benefit but the rule book imo doesn't become any easier.

Bifurcation or not, I would emphasize what Fourputt says. "the rules aren't that difficult". One can know them with a reasonable (and not overwhelming) amount of effort if they really desired to. Its the subsections, decisions, and coverage of all the different scenarios which can be too much but not really nearly the same for the general rules. But even if bifurcation were to materialize, its not like we still wouldn't have subsections, decisions, and coverage of the different scenarios. I think almost as much of that would still exist. As a matter of fact I would assume that for every rule changed for the amateur player, it would probably create new types of what if's that need to be answered via subsections and decisions anyway. Desiring bifurcation so the game can be played a bit more enjoyably wouldn't really equate to a simpler rule book imo..

Numerous subsections of the rules caused a great deal of confusion during the Sunday round. I bet I could go to my course this weekend and stump at least 90% on the 'simple' question of how to play a proper drop out of a hazard, especially if I gave them multiple choices to pick from.

In fact, I challenged two members of my course today, one who has been a member of the handicap committee, and one who is a rules enthusiast who were shocked when I talked about testing the surface of a green by wiping your ball on it to clean it (Rule 16-1d).

So while you say they may not be overly difficult (thousands of words of decisions not considered), it's quite hard to remember all of them accurately by even the more rules conscious individuals. Seems like overkill to me.

Just for one small example I will use a vey common and popular bifurcation desired rule. The (would be) getting a free drop from a divot on the fairway rule. That, while sensible imo would create one heck of a chapter on what exactly determines a divot. Things llike - When would a divot that is healed or healing up still be considered a divot? How about determining a healing divot vs an imperfection in the fairway? etc etc.. Im not looking to discuss such questions but simply bringing up how rule changes still create their own subsections , and decisions in the rule book. Our game may benefit but the rule book imo doesn't become any easier.

It has nothing to with with my ability to "learn" or "digest" the rules. It has to do with how convoluted they are and how applying them doesn't make any sense in some cases.

I'd say it's more telling on the mindset of the modern golfer. He's willing to put in hours to shave a stroke off his handicap, yet the odds are good that his handicap is actually not what he says it is because he hasn't bothered to put in a few minutes a day to learn the 9 rules that he most needs to know so that he can play the game correctly.

Numerous subsections of the rules caused a great deal of confusion during the Sunday round. I bet I could go to my course this weekend and stump at least 90% on the 'simple' question of how to play a proper drop out of a hazard, especially if I gave them multiple choices to pick from.

In fact, I challenged two members of my course today, one who has been a member of the handicap committee, and one who is a rules enthusiast who were shocked when I talked about testing the surface of a green by wiping your ball on it to clean it (Rule 16-1d).

So while you say they may not be overly difficult (thousands of words of decisions not considered), it's quite hard to remember all of them accurately by even the more rules conscious individuals. Seems like overkill to me.

You don't need any subsections to learn how to drop. I can take a group out on the course and in 15 minutes teach them all they need to know to correctly locate the proper drop area for any of the possible scenarios, and how to make the correct drop once they know where to do it. That is some of the most basic stuff most players should know. The fact that so many don't know it is more a statement toward laziness or indifference than it is toward any shortcoming of the rules.

You can see just from the responses in this thread that most THP'ers, who are more than average golf enthusiasts, just don't give a rat's behind about it.

I fail to see how this is any different than any other sport or life for that matter. Almost all rule books are confusing, full of legalize, and talk about situations that may happen once in a million years. I still fall back on you don't need an in depth understanding of the rules to enjoy the game and fail to see what difference having different rules would make. Other than increase confusion.

I'd say it's more telling on the mindset of the modern golfer. He's willing to put in hours to shave a stroke off his handicap, yet the likelihood is that his handicap is actually not what he says it is because he hasn't bothered to put in a few minutes a day to learn the 8 rules that he most needs to know so that he can play the game correctly.

In a world where golf is a getaway from reality and the rigors of daily life, far be it from me to be bothered by someone who isn't a rules snob or is even all that concerned about it. in almost every setting where someone in a casual round asks me for a decision I'll side with whatever best suits them, and that includes offering free drops from tree roots or favorable drop locations. This is mainly because to many, a handicap is simply a metric to maintain consistency in games, not a definition of a player.

And to that point, I would bet that your opinion of 'playing the game correctly' would be wildly different than most, but that's more of a hunch than anything else.

You don't need any subsections to learn how to drop. I can take a group out on the course and in 15 minutes teach them all they need to know to correctly locate the proper drop area for any of the possible scenarios, and how to make the correct drop once they know where to do it. That is some of the most basic stuff most players should know. The fact that so many don't know it is more a statement toward laziness or indifference than it is toward any shortcoming of the rules.

You can see just from the responses in this thread that most THP'ers, who are more than average golf enthusiasts, just don't give a rat's behind about it.

Maybe... Or maybe they read through a few sections and found it to be overbearing or silly to have that many rules with that many decisions behind them with different outcomes. I'm not sitting here trying to decide how they play the game or follow the rules in every day play. That's up to them.

Golf is great. It can be played by the strictest set of rules like the USGA's book, or by an agreed upon set of rules among friends.

Golf is fun.

Not exactly on topic, but during our round today one of the guys we were playing with was showing his partner where he should aim his putt with the flagstick. Surprisingly to me he got within an inch of the green but hovered it as he showed him the line. I was impressed that he did it the "legal" way.

I couldn't care less about knowing all the rules. I know the basics. As long as me and my group agree to terms on the 1st tee and everyone plays within agreed upon rules then it's all good (usually play everything as red stakes).

Back