Do You Have Time To Learn Rules/Decisions of Golf?

Golf is great. It can be played by the strictest set of rules like the USGA's book, or by an agreed upon set of rules among friends.

Golf is fun.

Technically yes, anyone can play golf any way they wish which is a great thing imo. However, if one plays competitively in any official setting or even just wishes to keep a legitimate handicap then he/she cant just play it any way they wish. Friends can get together and make up whatever versions of rules they wish but if one plans on recording those rounds into their handicap is when that doesn't work.

Technically yes, anyone can play golf any way they wish which is a great thing imo. However, if one plays competitively in any official setting or even just wishes to keep a legitimate handicap then he/she cant just play it any way they wish. Friends can get together and make up whatever versions of rules they wish but if one plans on recording those rounds into their handicap is when that doesn't work.

I don't play official competitive golf but do run a cap. I run it so that if I choose to partake in more official golf in my county I will be able to do so. I also and mainly keep one because I want to simply gauge my (best potential) play for my own sake of knowing. Regardless why I run one, I cant just make up my own set of rules. Am I perfect with them? no, but I try to be as honest as possible. But playing very often by any which rules I want wouldn't then work for keeping a proper handicap.
Well, to be fair, most golfers do not keep a sanctioned handicap or play in any sort of USGA affected competitive setting.

Dont have the time and really dont care enough. Its just a game to me that time is better spent doing more productive things

So while you say they may not be overly difficult (thousands of words of decisions not considered), it's quite hard to remember all of them accurately by even the more rules conscious individuals. Seems like overkill to me.

I never said easy...lol, but just imo is doable with some good effort.

It has nothing to with with my ability to "learn" or "digest" the rules. It has to do with how convoluted they are and how applying them doesn't make any sense in some cases.

All I'm saying is that relaxing some rules for bifurcation is still going to leave a whole bunch of subsections and decisions and would most probably add some. Different rule would materialize different decisions. I just don't think we avoid a convoluted rule book as much as people think by having bifurcation. This is not to say one way or the other that bifurcation wouldn't be better for most concerned when it comes to playing the game. Only that the rule book wouldn't necessarily be so much easier. That's two different things imo.

Kind of. I mean, I know the nuts and bolts of what stakes do what for which kinds of hazards. I know enough to generally play a round of golf that I'm confident would pass muster in a sanctioned event, and I've played events with far more knowledgeable people with no issues.

The rules of golf even played up to the college level aren't terribly difficult to understand, IMO. It's the extra silliness that pretty much only takes place on tour that makes golf seem more complicated than it is. Greens like ice rinks, TV towers that let a guy take a drop from foot long rough, into a fairway, things like that.

I had to learn the rules of when I turned pro back in the late 90s. They were a mess then and still are. I try to stay on top of the changes as much as I can. There will come a point that I just don't care any longer.

I purchased the decisions book last summer and had all intention in reading and trying to understand it and after the first 1/2 hour to 45 minutes i had to stop because if i continued i would have been bordering on insanity ..... i cant be sure how anyone with a stable mind or even some without could read that book for any length of time ..

I know the basic rules. I play by most of them. I usually only play with my son. We play by "our" rules (which are close to USA rules). If I was to play in a sanctioned event, I know which rules I violate and would not do it. I normally drive over the speed limit. I slow roll through a stop sign occasionally. I hurry through a yellow light before it turns red. But I don't do any of those things if a cop or trooper is right behind me. I choose when to apply the rules. Playing for "The Championship of the World " with my son is our fun time.

I barely have time to learn to play a decent round of golf and I'm still not there yet. I'm with blu, golf is fun! No reason for me to make it into anything else.

Yeah, not going to read it. I can think of many more things I can do with my time.

Of course it "works"

The handicap is no less valid, it simply has the potential to be a bit lower without all the ticky tack nonsense applied. It is still very much a legitimate handicap.

Of course it "works"

The handicap is no less valid, it simply has the potential to be a bit lower without all the ticky tack nonsense applied. It is still very much a legitimate handicap.

I don't know why you would say that. If one were to play with a relaxed version of the rules where as strokes would often go uncounted then the cap would be a vanity cap. Vanity caps do not hurt anyone the way sandbagged caps do and in fact actually work to favor those giving strokes. So no one will complain if one runs a vanity cap. However, if (due to ones own relaxed version of rules) they are not counting even just 3,4 or more strokes per round on a regular basis because of their own relaxed rules then their cap is going to reflect a lower number and therefore its not legit, its a vanity cap. Now if we are talking situations that may only pop up once per couple or more rounds then well....1 stroke per 100 not counted isn't going to make much of any noticeable dent. But relaxing rules to the point to benefit a few to possibly several strokes per round on a consistent basis? How can one consider that a legit cap? It wouldn't bother me if someone does this but I know if I were to ever be lets say become a 10 cap...Id want to feel it was legit and within reason of the rules as honest as I could. Not because I relaxed them enough to average 4/5 or more strokes better every round via my own version of relaxed rules.

I know the basic rules. I play by most of them. I usually only play with my son. We play by "our" rules (which are close to USA rules). If I was to play in a sanctioned event, I know which rules I violate and would not do it. I normally drive over the speed limit. I slow roll through a stop sign occasionally. I hurry through a yellow light before it turns red. But I don't do any of those things if a cop or trooper is right behind me. I choose when to apply the rules. Playing for "The Championship of the World " with my son is our fun time.

Perfect answer in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know why you would say that. If one were to play with a relaxed version of the rules where as strokes would often go uncounted then the cap would be a vanity cap. Vanity caps do not hurt anyone the way sandbagged caps do and in fact actually work to favor those giving strokes. So no one will complain if one runs a vanity cap. However, if (due to ones own relaxed version of rules) they are not counting even just 3,4 or more strokes per round on a regular basis because of their own relaxed rules then their cap is going to reflect a lower number and therefore its not legit, its a vanity cap. Now if we are talking situations that may only pop up once per couple or more rounds then well....1 stroke per 100 not counted isn't going to make much of any noticeable dent. But relaxing rules to the point to benefit a few to possibly several strokes per round on a consistent basis? How can one consider that a legit cap? It wouldn't bother me if someone does this but I know if I were to ever be lets say become a 10 cap...Id want to feel it was legit and within reason of the rules as honest as I could. Not because I relaxed them enough to average 4/5 or more strokes better every round via my own version of relaxed rules.

Fair thoughts, and I do agree that it only damages that individual but that was more or less my point. If they want to, go for it.

The joke of it is, I played the other night and lost two strokes thanks to playing out of a fairway divot. My 35 quickly became a 37 and I had a good laugh over it. My bad luck is technically working against a realistic handicap considering I'm not unlucky every round I play where I hit 80% of my fairways and greens.

Well, since I don't play golf, the rules of golf don't apply to me.

What I play is a game that resembles golf, with it's own rules.

Last edited:
I use to be above average at the rules of golf because I had to be as an Assistant Pro back in the day, as questions would be asked from time to time. There were some slow times where I would read/study the more obscure parts of the rules book. With that said, that was over 10 years ago and just like anything else, if you don't use and continue to practice the knowledge you learn, you'll forget plenty. So, I know the rules as well as the next guy, but I'm not going to go out and relearn the odd in's and out's like I did in the past.

Fair thoughts, and I do agree that it only damages that individual but that was more or less my point. If they want to, go for it.

The joke of it is, I played the other night and lost two strokes thanks to playing out of a fairway divot. My 35 quickly became a 37 and I had a good laugh over it. My bad luck is technically working against a realistic handicap considering I'm not unlucky every round I play where I hit 80% of my fairways and greens.

This, the rules of golf, really is an interesting topic to me.

I feel like I'm kind of neutral on my opinion of the rules. Some I think could be changed, such as, if your ball comes to rest in a divot maybe you should be allowed to move the ball backwards as far as it takes to be out of the divot.

But in terms of handicaps, scores, and so forth, I think people might be all over the place due to lack of knowledge of the rules or lack of concern with the rules. Meaning, John Doe claims he shot a 93, but he lacks understanding of the rules of golf and if he knew how to correctly play a lost ball, red, and yellow hazards, his 93 is probably more like a 110. Johnny Doe doesn't particular care about the rules, takes three mulligans per side, moves his ball freely for whatever reason, and tells people he shot an 85.

So you have some that just don't know the rules and some that don't care. I think it's good to have a basic understanding of the rules. You can't ground your club in a hazard. How to play a lost ball. How to deal with a ball that lands on grass across the water, but rolls back in to the water.

I feel like I have a decent handle on the more frequented rules of golf, although I still question it sometimes. I like the integrity of golf. And, when I shoot a personal best, I want it to be a legit personal best. Which to me means, play it as it lies or take an unplayable.

Do You Have Time To Learn Rules/Decisions of Golf?

Well, since I don't play golf, the rules of golf don't apply to me.

What I play is a game that resembles golf, with it's own rules.

Is the game you play called Flog? That's what I play. :alien:

Im with most here, I'm not going to go digging through the rules book as a casual player. I know most of them and kinda know how to take a drop. I'll likely never be a usga rules official, I don't have the patience for that and I'm too vocal about stupid things, so I'll blunder on in my blissfully ignorant state.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

This, the rules of golf, really is an interesting topic to me.

I feel like I'm kind of neutral on my opinion of the rules. Some I think could be changed, such as, if your ball comes to rest in a divot maybe you should be allowed to move the ball backwards as far as it takes to be out of the divot.

But in terms of handicaps, scores, and so forth, I think people might be all over the place due to lack of knowledge of the rules or lack of concern with the rules. Meaning, John Doe claims he shot a 93, but he lacks understanding of the rules of golf and if he knew how to correctly play a lost ball, red, and yellow hazards, his 93 is probably more like a 110. Johnny Doe doesn't particular care about the rules, takes three mulligans per side, moves his ball freely for whatever reason, and tells people he shot an 85.

So you have some that just don't know the rules and some that don't care. I think it's good to have a basic understanding of the rules. You can't ground your club in a hazard. How to play a lost ball. How to deal with a ball that lands on grass across the water, but rolls back in to the water.

I feel like I have a decent handle on the more frequented rules of golf, although I still question it sometimes. I like the integrity of golf. And, when I shoot a personal best, I want it to be a legit personal best. Which to me means, play it as it lies or take an unplayable.

if John Doe is running a handicap based on scores of 93 and 85 when he is really shooting a 105 and 110 then he shouldn't be running a cap because its all completely meaningless. But your are correct that very many people claim they shoot in the 80's while playing a very relaxed set of rules or simply not knowing even the more basic ones well enough. Fwiw there are even plenty people who shoot 100 and do not know that they are not really even shooting that but are at 120 in reality. To be honest its very hard to say exactly what one would have scored had they followed the rules correctly because simply put they didn't follow them correctly and its impossible to know what would have happened if they did..lol so the whole thing is even more skewed than we think.

if John Doe is running a handicap based on scores of 93 and 85 when he is really shooting a 105 and 110 then he shouldn't be running a cap because its all completely meaningless. But your are correct that very many people claim they shoot in the 80's while playing a very relaxed set of rules or simply not knowing even the more basic ones well enough. Fwiw there are even plenty people who shoot 100 and do not know that they are not really even shooting that but are at 120 in reality. To be honest its very hard to say exactly what one would have scored had they followed the rules correctly because simply put they didn't follow them correctly and its impossible to know what would have happened if they did..lol so the whole thing is even more skewed than we think.

Yeah. And for the record, I don't mind playing by whatever rules the group I'm playing with wants to use. If I know there weren't many instances where I strayed from the actual rule, I may say I shot about a 92 or whatever it was. "About" because I know some rules weren't followed.

I know some that play lost balls like a hazard. Some I don't think understand that when your ball crosses water, hits lands, and rolls back into the water, how can you drop over there and still keep the point it last crossed between you and the hole? And those are fairly basic rules.

Also, I am probably more of a proponent for following the rules of golf correctly, than not. However, I do see how some of the rules could be changed. For example, relief from a divot, replacing a ball on the green that moves without your club touching it, moving a twig from a bunker. Although, I can see some counter arguments.

I used to keep a handicap because I played in tournaments and pro ams that required it. I played a little relaxed rules back then. The handicap that I used in events was not "EXACTLY" accurate. Did it hurt anyone besides myself or my team? No, it did not. Did I have a lot of fun playing with relaxed rules to get the handicap that I turned in? Yes, I did. When I played in events, I played 100% by the rules. I really don't understand why people want others to play to their standards. If I want to pay my green fee, hit from whatever lie I want, ground my club in a hazard, drop on the wrong side of the water, or use a foot or hand wedge and say I shot 80 or 90 or 59, what does it matter? I enjoy the good shots and accept the bad ones. It affects no one's sex life or paycheck.

Thankfully I was on an internship and were trained about the main rules but in no way could I read all of those words

I used to keep a handicap because I played in tournaments and pro ams that required it. I played a little relaxed rules back then. The handicap that I used in events was not "EXACTLY" accurate. Did it hurt anyone besides myself or my team? No, it did not. Did I have a lot of fun playing with relaxed rules to get the handicap that I turned in? Yes, I did. When I played in events, I played 100% by the rules. I really don't understand why people want others to play to their standards. If I want to pay my green fee, hit from whatever lie I want, ground my club in a hazard, drop on the wrong side of the water, or use a foot or hand wedge and say I shot 80 or 90 or 59, what does it matter? I enjoy the good shots and accept the bad ones. It affects no one's sex life or paycheck.

Who (at least here) is saying that anyone must play to anyone's standards except their own. The only thing I ever imply is that if one keeps an official handicap, it imo shouldn't be done if done by relaxed rule book for most things and for things that occur very often. That said, one can do whatever they wish and who is going to stop them. And if no handicap is kept then even more so to play however one wishes. That's the great thing about golf. You can do what you want. It just cant be official.

Is the game you play called Flog? That's what I play. :alien:

Im with most here, I'm not going to go digging through the rules book as a casual player. I know most of them and kinda know how to take a drop. I'll likely never be a usga rules official, I don't have the patience for that and I'm too vocal about stupid things, so I'll blunder on in my blissfully ignorant state.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket
Some days it's "Flog", some days it's "Flail".

Back