Trying to Break 80 Club

My 2014 goal is to shoot at least 79 once. I never thought I would have a goal like that. I remember just a few years back I wanted to break 100 and it was such an impossibility. It took years because I never made golf a priority. I always said I would be happy just to be a bogey golfer. Little did I realize that with better scores golf begins to become an obsession. How could I possibly ever thought being a bogey golfer is good enough and something to aim for? Instead being a bogey golfer is something that just gnaws at me. So close to being good and yet so far to go. My personal best is 83 and I have done that twice. I can shot 38 and 39 on the front 9 often enough that I think it can be done. I have 3 courses I play regularly with slopes from my tee boxes being 120,130 and 131 respectively. My first 83 was at the easier course and I thought I would shoot a 79 there this year. Instead, I improved my scoring at the more difficult courses to the point that I can shoot low 80's any given course any given day(sadly, I can still shoot upper 90's any given day with two rounds over 100 this year).

Funny how that works isn't it? I was the same way. Now if I shoot a bogey round it drives me nuts! Sounds like your game is there, 70s will come. And once you hit it, once won't be enough :D

I too am yet to break 80. Had an 81 yesterday.

After a 40 on the harder front nine I thought I was in with a chance. Had a few sloppy bogeys on the early back-nine holes which meant I needed to par the last four holes for a 79. Stuck my approach to within 15 feet on the 15th. Missed the birdie putt but got the par. Up and down from the edge of the 16th gave me another par. 17th is a bit of a make or break hole for me. It's a short par 3 and the 18th stroke hole but it's a bit of a turtle-back with some nasty pot bunkers around it. Anyway I hit a poor tee shot and short-sided myself behind a bunker; then proceded to chip the ball into it!!!! Short answer was double bogey. An easy par followed at the 18th.

I'm happy to have got 81, but it definitely felt like a lost opportunity. Next time...

39/42 today for an 81. Didn't think I had that good a round going until it was over. If I can get my chipping sorted out I will be in great shape.

Nice close tries, Milesy and Howzat!

I didn't end up playing today. Everyone bagged on me and with it chilly and 30 mph winds, I didn't feel like going out alone. We're probably going to go tomorrow morning at 9:04 though. It will be cold.

Well last week I shot a solid 85 with my PB a 84 twice. I tend to lose my mental game and focus on the 7th or 8th tee box when I'm 1 or 2 over par thinking "this is the day". Well, I'm still dreaming every night the next day will bring me my 79 or better. Here's the upsetting part. Each time I play really good, I skipped the driving range prior to the round and only chip/putt prior. Each time I hit some shots on the range prior to a round, my round is rough. I think I tend to stand over the ball over thinking every shot instead of just swinging without multiple thoughts. There's always tomorrow I guess?

I think about the up and downs that come in every round. For most of us trying to break 80, it's getting to a makable putting range on your shots just off the green. We're all going to miss greens but the scratch golfers get within 6 feet on most shots just off the green. For me, if I get up and down more than half the time, I will have a good chance to break 80.

It'll happen. I know what my weakness's are, tee shots and course management. I'm satisfied with my progress so far for only having played for a year.

Played for a year and flirting with breaking 80? No offense, but I hate you. :)

In hindsight, I really could/should have broken 80 again on Saturday.

I was nursing a hangover on the front nine and didn't play well at all. Started the round off with a stupid double bogey and went on a bogey run. Finished the first nine the way I started it with a double for a 44 - 9 over par.

Then I started the back 9 with another double bogey followed by a bogey on 10 but then something clicked. I went par, birdie, eagle, birdie, par on 12 through 16 before doubling 17 and making par on the 18th for a 10 over 82. Only 1 over (38) on the back nine!

double bogey 6, bogey 5, par 4, birdie 4, eagle3, birdie 2, par 4, double bogey 6, par 4 o_O

So many mistakes and missed putts, yet I played to my handicap and was only a few shots away from breaking 80.

Crazy back nine but the run on holes 12-16 has given me a big confidence boost ahead of my rounds this week.

Last edited:
Shot 79 from the golds today as it was chilly and windy and we were playing with two older guys so we all played from the same box. That includes a par five where I was 182 out taking my second shot and proceeded to three-chunk 165 of it and three putt from there for a 7. I'm thinking maybe eagle, probably birdie and definitely par and walk off with a double.

Might be shorter playing from there, but you still gotta make the shots, dangit!

Still a 79 on the scorecard, that's all that matters!

Still a 79 on the scorecard, that's all that matters!

It sucked that it realistically could have been a 76 had I been able to birdie it. (The eagle would have been great,but since I have only gotten one of those, it was more of a dream!)

Con grats Smalls.

Hope to get back in the flow in a couple of weeks.

It sucked that it realistically could have been a 76 had I been able to birdie it. (The eagle would have been great,but since I have only gotten one of those, it was more of a dream!)

What is, is a 79!! Nice round Smalls!!

Nice going Smalls!

Shot 79 from the golds today as it was chilly and windy and we were playing with two older guys so we all played from the same box. That includes a par five where I was 182 out taking my second shot and proceeded to three-chunk 165 of it and three putt from there for a 7. I'm thinking maybe eagle, probably birdie and definitely par and walk off with a double.

Might be shorter playing from there, but you still gotta make the shots, dangit!

No matter how you look at it a 79 is awesome score

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

That's awesome. Congrats on the 79. I've always been told that the way to become a better golfer is to use the shortest tee boxes until you can shoot close to par. The theory being that its the short game that really matters and once you master that aspect of the game its much easier to increase the distances without adding to the score. Your example is just what I needed.

Out of nowhere! 39/40. 79. Absolutely over the moon.

Last weekend played in two 'qualifiers' (rounds that actually count for handicap in UK) and in both shot mid 90s. Playing partners were kind, "lessons always make you worse before they make you better' they said.

Today I was playing in the high handicap winter knockout. Played a nice old Gent, a knight of the realm even. Started with a bird and never looked back. Beat my opponent 5&4, but we played through to the end. Finished with a double, which was annoying...but I guess those lessons are beginning to pay off!

Awesome round, bandito!

Heck of a round, congrats!

Awesome round!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Home course is a par 70, so shot ten under handicap. Proved I can do it, trick is now to start consistently hitting the mark. Thing is, I can right now think of 4 shots that I left out there..2 decent strikes that were inches from perfect....if, but, maybe.......all the usual. Still, sitting here with a grin like a Cheshire Cat:beauty:

I'm a ~12 handicap, consistency has been terrible lately. I've shot deep into the 90's in the last two matches I played. But I've also shot 81 a couple times. Yesterday I played with two buddies, one is about 4.5-5 handicap and the other is coming from 15.5 or so and will probably drop to 11.5-12 if he keeps his consistency in check.

The first nine had four bogeys and five pars for me: 40
Second nine had eight pars and a triple bogey (water): 38
Total of 78 on the par 71 course.

Played with 13 clubs: pulled the 3i out of the bag for now. I'm trying to get used to the idea of not having one as I hope this will make the transition to having a driver in the bag somewhat smaller.

We did play 26 holes, but the last 8 where fun-holes. Playing with each other's clubs, not being allowed to hit a driver/FWW/Hybrid off the tee on a par5, having to hit lower lofts the closer you get to the green (hitting a plugged bunkershot wih a 4iron sucks), having to "putt" with the flagstick. Stuff like that. LOADS of fun, not very serious in the scoring department ;)

Great job Bandito & Floor!

Dang I want to join you guys again...

Back