Do you prefer large or medium size mallet putter looking at Odyssey V Line or #5

bozack

Reaction score
Handicap
So I am in the market for a new putter and am torn between either the VLine in Big T configuration with the super stroke or the #5, I decided that I think I am a 34" length as the 35 seemed long, but can't decide if I want the bigger head on the V Line or the smaller #5

Anyone try both?

Odyssey-Works-Big-T-V-Line.jpg

Screen-Shot-2015-06-09-at-10.00.03-AM.png

Going to be very personal dude. Best to go with whichever you like best.

So I am in the market for a new putter and am torn between either the VLine in Big T configuration with the super stroke or the #5, I decided that I think I am a 34" length as the 35 seemed long, but can't decide if I want the bigger head on the V Line or the smaller #5

Anyone try both?

What putter are you coming from?

Of those 2, V line for me.

I personally have had better results with a larger size mallet. But I know others who prefer a mid or small mallet. Just depends on the indivivdual.

I went from a ping ug-le to a Scotty Sonoma. No regrets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta go with what you like best. If it's up to me? If I'm going mallet I like something on the larger side like the V-Line.

What putter are you coming from?

Hey thanks all, so currently I have my Adams Tight lies bagged set putter, it is a 35" Ping Anser clone

BRAND-NEW-ADAMS-TIGHT-LIES-PLUS-1312-35--RIGHT-HAND-PUTTER-STILL-IN-WRAPS_T_1_I_72_G_0_V_2[sellr]302x292[sellr].JPG

I went to the local golf store today to check out the V Line and happened upon the #5 style while there...I am leaning more towards VLine but the smaller mallet seemed more familiar most likely because I am using the blade style now.

The guy there also said I should think about a shorter shaft given that I am 5'8" to 5'9" tall and that the 35" may be too long....I read some websites and seems like there is conflicting info where I am either bordering on a 33" or I am a 34"...I will have to go back to try it out again.

I have big T vline, and a milled collection #5. I prefer the shape and weight of the #5 ( the milled collection has adjustable weights), but both putters are very solid. Both have their advantages. The vline's sightlines and larger shape make it feel like cheating from 4ft and in. The only negative thing I can think of is that I find it a little harder to putt off of the fringe with larger mallets. In the end pick the shape you like. I'm sure you would be happy with either!

Definitely medium for me. Blades appear too small to my eye, spaceship looking putters way too big. Now, I'm not discounting the quality of each as I've witnessed others putting lights-out with either.
But... just, not for me. ;)

Do the VLine and #5 both fit your putting stroke? I'd look at that more than the head size since they both have a similar shape.

I own both, I find it easier to lag with the #5, beyond that I like the feel for the vline better. I find having the highest MOI putter is always in your best interest so bigger may be better. I'm currently gaming a Cure RX2 and that thing is huge.

I have one of these about to show up in a day or two...

Before purchase I tried both at my local golf store a couple times over several days. Both are very nice, and the 5 felt very natural and reminded me a lot of my current Cleveland 6.0 that I really like. I wanted to try the alignment system and have been acquiring a few different style putters to find what works best over the long haul and to change out if I want.

I got the V-Line because it was more different (large) than my current mallet (medium), and because I thought the Big T maybe would give maximum benefit on the bigger head, but this decision was also for diversity. The 5 felt awesome and since it was like my current putter felt more natural, but I wanted to try a larger mallet for a while too.

No wrong answers, go with what speaks to you most.

EDIT - I am also 5'9 and 35" are too long for me also. I use 34".

Out of the two you listed I would choose the #5. Personally I play a #9 as nothing else has ever felt as comfortable.

I prefer a smaller mallet, but this is like asking blondes vs brunettes, totally up to the individual. As far as length, I am about your height and usually game a 34", but have gotten used to playing a longer putter with a counter balance option. Really depends on your stance, arm length and how it looks/feels to you.

I like as big as possible...but there's no one true way...

Whatever you're the most comfortable with and / or you shoot the best with is what you should go with.

Really, all we are is just a bunch of strangers behind a keyboard; get to a store with samples to see what you like best, or get an instructor you trust to tell you.

thanks all, I went to a local place today and tried them again, I am thinking in the anser style the 35" isn't bad, but when I get a 35" mallet it feels weird and I prefer the 34", technically I am just short of 5'9" (like 5' 8 3/4s)

I am going to try them again tomorrow...part of me liked the VLine better as it felt a bit easier but the #5 seemed more like what I am used to.

I prefer the large ones. Just bought a works 2 ball myself

When I use a mallet, I tend to like larger.

thanks all, went to the shop today to try them out again, ended up going with the 34" VLine with the 3.0 Super Stroke on it!

Back