The Thing That Straightened Me Out on the Range Yesterday

TomM1026

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all,
I've been working on my swing mechanics on the range. Recently I've been mostly focused on improving my impact position (posting up, weight shift to left, keeping right heel down, shoulders level, left hand release, lag etc.) I used to break down my right leg, push through, stand up in my stance etc. Bad habits.

I felt like I was making better contact but everything was going left. Not a hook but just aimed left.

After a bit of reflection I realized I was basically pulling off of the ball through impact with my hips AND my head which I think was pulling my hands through in that direction as well.

The head movement was key and it's something I've had as a bad habit. When I look back at all of my swing videos, you can see my eyes following the club down range (head rotating to the left) through impact instead of well after impact.

Anyway, I decided on one key thought which was, keep your eyes parallel to the target line and don't move your eyes until after the ball is struck.

Keeping my eyes parallel made it so much easier to bring my hands through on plane. Since I was already making good contact, I found that this really straightened out my shots and I hit nearly 10 solid mid irons in a row straight down the range.. Hoping to solidify this habit in the coming sessions.

Alignment really is everything. Anyone else had a similar experience or offer any refinements to my thoughts?

Cheers!

The funny thing is, I often have an a-ha moment on the range. It never seems to last though...

Hey all,
I've been working on my swing mechanics on the range. Recently I've been mostly focused on improving my impact position (posting up, weight shift to left, keeping right heel down, shoulders level, left hand release, lag etc.) I used to break down my right leg, push through, stand up in my stance etc. Bad habits.

I felt like I was making better contact but everything was going left. Not a hook but just aimed left.

After a bit of reflection I realized I was basically pulling off of the ball through impact with my hips AND my head which I think was pulling my hands through in that direction as well.

The head movement was key and it's something I've had as a bad habit. When I look back at all of my swing videos, you can see my eyes following the club down range (head rotating to the left) through impact instead of well after impact.

Anyway, I decided on one key thought which was, keep your eyes parallel to the target line and don't move your eyes until after the ball is struck.

Keeping my eyes parallel made it so much easier to bring my hands through on plane. Since I was already making good contact, I found that this really straightened out my shots and I hit nearly 10 solid mid irons in a row straight down the range.. Hoping to solidify this habit in the coming sessions.

Alignment really is everything. Anyone else had a similar experience or offer any refinements to my thoughts?

Cheers!

Just remember that it may take quite a while to ingrain this so there may be some inconsistency, especially while you're out on the course.

My bad habit is pulling out of the shot also. I'll either pull it left, or top the crud out of it. I have to then on my next shot use the thought of just "keep the hip bend". While that's not what's pulling me out of my swing, it's what works for me.

The funny thing is, I often have an a-ha moment on the range. It never seems to last though...
If I had a nickel for every time...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I find that keeping my head behind the ball till well after it is gone is a key point to a good result. If you look at pictures of any good ball striker their nose is over their right knee at impact and beyond.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Back