Jack Nicklaus' Choice of Driver (through the years)

That was awesome! I remember the Eye-o-Matic; my friend had one and, though I asked for one for Christmas, it never came :/

man he played that Eye-o-Matic for 14 years.

Crazy to think he was hitting that MacGregor with the red/white insert for his 86 Masters win.

Amazing that he hit a wooden Driver until 1990

I barely hold onto a driver for 14 months. I couldn't imagine having one for 14 years.

I believe he also used a pretty lousy ball for most of his career.

3 drivers in 24 years. Wow!!

I think there is a lot to be said of the length of time each were in the bag. Today's technology is great, but some of the best players I play with on a regular basis are using at least some older equipment. I like the idea of tried and true. It is one reason I'm pretty slow at times to bite on todays marketing hype.

In the late 70's/early 80's I gamed a set of Wilson 1300 laminates. Persimmons were just too expensive in those days. I could poke a tee shot out 270-280 on average with my driver and keep them in the fairway. I was comfortable with them and never saw the need to change. The sweet spots on those woods were tiny. Blade irons of the day weren't much different.

Technological advancement in golf clubs and balls have been revolutionary for the sport and honestly, make the game easier to play if you really want to learn the sport.

Wow, using a 35 year old driver. I wonder what the oldest driver in a pros bag is these days? 5 years?

Back