Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Irons - THP Review Thread

Great feedback and information. Well done.

Awesome info Jman. They sound like a set I'd like to spend a little time with, although "don't miss bottom groove" makes me hesitate a bit hahaha. Heel/toe forgiveness makes me happy though, as the toe miss is pretty common to me.

Some good thoughts there James. I wish I would have watched some of your shots Saturday. That would have been interesting to see the flight with these.

I could tell Saturday as you settled in, you were finding your groove with these. Distances appeared to be there & didn't see where these irons would hinder anyone coming from a GI.

Hit these on the range today and they remind me a lot of the MX-200 from a few years back.

Hit these on the range today and they remind me a lot of the MX-200 from a few years back.
I loved those irons...I think I had a set for a few weeks too

The 850 forged and them look similar profile wise? I never hit the 200's so I'm clueless there sadly.

The 850 forged and them look similar profile wise? I never hit the 200's so I'm clueless there sadly.

To me they do. But of course that was off memory. When hitting them, that is the one thing I kept saying to myself.

To me they do. But of course that was off memory. When hitting them, that is the one thing I kept saying to myself.

Nice, thanks dude.

I keep coming back to how blurred the feel is at impact across the face, its surprising to me, even the EZ Forged seemed to have more varied feedback audibly and vibrationally.

Nice, thanks dude.

I keep coming back to how blurred the feel is at impact across the face, its surprising to me, even the EZ Forged seemed to have more varied feedback audibly and vibrationally.
Hmm, I prefer more "honesty" from my clubs. From putter to driver I expect a difference in sound/feel as I stray from the sweet spot. This gives me an opportunity to, hopefully a least, correct my errors before they become too penal.
Granted, feel is subjective. Some people prefer the plush/disconnected feel of a Cadillac while others, such as myself, prefer to know if we're approaching the edge of adhesion.

Don't get me wrong, I will still demo these clubs. Who knows, I might find their other qualities outshine the lack of feel.

Nice, thanks dude.

I had a feeling you'd pick up on this. It's pretty amazing that when you hit the ball it just feels pretty darn good every time. I actually have to look at the face sometimes to see where I actually hit the ball. I'll take a good feeling 200 yard toey 5i 8 days a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a feeling you'd pick up on this. It's pretty amazing that when you hit the ball it just feels pretty darn good every time. I actually have to look at the face sometimes to see where I actually hit the ball. I'll take a good feeling 200 yard toey 5i 8 days a week

This is very interesting to me. Adam, isn't that one of the major knocks on larger forgiving irons however? I seem to remember reading it in so many threads about players irons and feel and the common misconception that with larger irons one cannot tell where they missed it, therefore could not play them. Could be off with this one, but something that sticks with me from time to time.

This is very interesting to me. Adam, isn't that one of the major knocks on larger forgiving irons however? I seem to remember reading it in so many threads about players irons and feel and the common misconception that with larger irons one cannot tell where they missed it, therefore could not play them. Could be off with this one, but something that sticks with me from time to time.

Exactly. How will these irons "force me to become better?"

Yeah, its something we often hear about SGI irons, a lack of "feel" on misses, and there its a knock, yet transition to a GE profile and the same trait isn't as frowned upon, its interesting.

Gosh these are nice looking irons. I may be in the market in the next year or so and I think I will add these to my list.

You're 100% correct JB. I've seen it plenty of times here and I'm pretty sure I may have even subscribed to that notion. However the Morgan Cup taught me something about larger more forgiving clubs. That being, having the ability to feel your miss is fine, but performance is what really matters. When I was playing the Bio Cells I could barely tell where I was missing on the club face, but the performance trumped it. That doesn't mean there was zero feedback, but it wasn't as pronounced as a muscle back. I'm sure there are going to be some people that really want to know that they missed left or right on the face. I do like to feel where I missed the ball, but not to the point where my hands are on fire.

I guess I haven't felt a lack of feedback with these. Been playing them from early September (about half my rounds as I have my old set - mid 90's Cobra oversized - at another location and they get the other 50% of play) and I've been able to clearly feel mishits. In fact, I recall in my fitting calling out the mishits before even looking at the ball flight. Toe hits are easy to feel for me and I really appreciate how little a penalty is paid for them.

I guess I haven't felt a lack of feedback with these. Been playing them from early September (about half my rounds as I have my old set - mid 90's Cobra oversized - at another location and they get the other 50% of play) and I've been able to clearly feel mishits. In fact, I recall in my fitting calling out the mishits before even looking at the ball flight. Toe hits are easy to feel for me and I really appreciate how little a penalty is paid for them.

Been playing these for 3 weeks now and can tell you myself that you can tell when you hit it of the toe or the heel but that is just me,Quality iron just a touch smaller than the MX200s before them

Been playing these for 3 weeks now and can tell you myself that you can tell when you hit it of the toe or the heel but that is just me,Quality iron just a touch smaller than the MX200s before them

I've not said you can't feel it, I've said its blurred or not as defined as in other sets. Every shot has a plush feeling to it, miss or not. Seems its been a pretty constant thought on these as well. We are all clearly more or less receptive to certain feedback, but I can say coming from Apex and Pro Combo's as well, misses are not nearly as differentiated vibrationally or audibly as those.

Jman, any Apex comparison shots? Sole/top line

Sadly, I can't my Apex are in Texas. They're smaller, in all areas and offset. Blade length is closest though.

I'll put up some Vapor Pro-Combo comparisons tonight though, should help.

Yep, talked about it a bit early, but much closer in build to the Vapor PC than the Apex standard, in fact, closer to the Apex Pro as well IMO.

Agree 100%. Dumba$$ anti forgiveness last year me didn't, but I've learned since then :p

I want to hit these badly.

Back