Helping each other locate and look for balls

I mostly either play solo in the evening when the course is on my own or tournaments held by my club so will always help others look for balls, firstly just to be polite, but also for pace of play as often the monthly medals, stableford cups etc get bogged down by slow play. However, even though I am still in my 20s, since I have had laser eye surgery I can see the initial flight but rarely see it land so I am not always that big a help!

So you don't look for someone's ball in fear of their opponent getting mad if they don't get an easy win?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm like Pete. I'll spend a minute or so helping someone look. If it seems hopeless, I'll move on hoping he gives up the search soon as well in order to keep the pace up.

In non tournament play I rarely look for mine more than a minute or cursory glance in the area I think it landed.

I play as a single @ a "resort" course so I'll end up getting paired with strangers who have never played the course.

I try to keep track of balls when they go off of the beaten path, but I also know there are a few areas that are to steep to even think of looking. Unfortunately, the course is in a Maryland State Park, so they do not like golfers tramping thru the native areas.

I help look for balls. I appreciate the help finding mine. I have found a few balls in my time in the woods/desert.

I help look whenever I play with anyone. My Father-in-law seems to have a sixth sense in finding balls hit off the beaten track. I have seen him drive right up to a ball that I was sure was long gone.

Helping each other locate and look for balls

Always help. I have a hard time tracking the ball sometimes. Fortunately I regularly play with somebody who should have been a freaking fighter pilot. Dude always knows where everybody's ball went. Amazing.

I always tell him he should have been a caddie. Can read any putt. He would have been fantastic.

I always help look and I expect help from others in my group in return. I've played with a guy or two that would never help look for others, but expected help when he had one lost. I got the chance one time to tell him he was on his own. He got the point (I think).

I help look when I can... I'm usually not much help though. What's aggravating is watching my buddies shot and marking it and helping him look for it and forgetting where my shot went and trying to find it afterwards... and my buddy not paying attention to where my shot went.

It does get frustrating when it happens every hole. In TX, there are certain times of the year when the ball will disappear in 2" Bermuda every time; then it's a nightmare round. When it gets bad, I'll start watching every ball and really focusing on a tree or something close to where the ball went. That really helps narrow down the search.

I try to help as much as I can, although I'm a very poor at it. I can hardly remember to look for my own ball from tee. Either I'm busy figuring out what went wrong with the shot and forget to look for the landing spot, or I do see where it lands but after a few seconds of walking I've already started thinking about the next shot or the previous shot or what club to buy next or fishing or food and forgotten all about the ball and where it landed.

iPhone Tapatalk

Eh...I will help somebody look for their ball for about 45 seconds---which is 30 seconds longer than I spend looking for my own lost balls.

#letsmovealong

But imo the "letsmovealong" part is what the helping actually does. I am not one to normally spend more than about a minute but if there is no where to go anyway then I'll give it some extra time. But I find that most of the time when others are helping all you need is about a minute. If its not found with two or more sets of eyes within a minute its probably not going to be found. And also because the others are helping it usually makes most people (who have a conscious and common courtesy) feel as though they should just drop one sooner vs if they are searching by themselves.

They sometimes realize that if three sets of eyes and sometimes four sets are looking and it isn't found in about a minute that they should probably drop one. And also there is that little bit of pressure of not wanting to put others through a great extensive and time consuming search. So from my experience helping each other usually does find many more balls than not, finds them faster, and causes faster search endings, all of which usually saves much more time than not. And it also imo creates a bit more of a friendly environment (or comradeship) among the group especially if strangers.

So its all usually more of a plus imo for a given group vs not helping. Its only when a specific person just doesn't want to let it go that it can become problematic. And although that happens some times too I have found its usually a bit more often not the case vs when it is. And even that problem can be sometimes be cured (to a degree) because as you help each other you do get (as said) a bit more friendlier which does open up a door even if a little bit where as one can make the suggestion to drop one without harsh feelings. So again it all seems to work towards helping everything else vs hurting it. There is an old saying - "your either part of the problem or part of the solution" and what that means is that doing nothing is never part of any solution. Not at all picking on you :) as there is no right or wrong but just that maybe things are different when viewed from different angles :)

I always help look... it definitely helps the pace of play. I play fast and waiting around really bothers me mentally

I play as a single alot myself and often get paired with others. I always keep an eye on every shot. I've had a few times where I needed help and didn't get any. I thought it a little bogus, but I didn't let it get to me. After 2 or 3 min, I just drop and keep moving.

I always help look... it definitely helps the pace of play. I play fast and waiting around really bothers me mentally

I play as a single alot myself and often get paired with others. I always keep an eye on every shot. I've had a few times where I needed help and didn't get any. I thought it a little bogus, but I didn't let it get to me. After 2 or 3 min, I just drop and keep moving.

I find it more disturbing as a single (with strangers) when they are riding and you are walking and they just zoom off right past where your ball might be and never bother at all to give a look. Now your playing catch up because your walking and and also have to find your ball. Many times its just simply in the rough and well in play but very hard to find anyway. The rare occasion I have a cart I offer even more help vs when I am walking especially if other people are walkers I will always go and find others balls and point it out to them before heading to my own area. There are some people who will do the same as well but as said there are also those who just don't want to be bothered. In some circumstances I actually find it rude.

I actually played today. 40degress but sunny and not too windy. But anyway leaves all over and if not for the fellow I was playing with we both would have lost a ton of balls even in the fairway lol. Thank goodness we played as a twosome instead of two singles. And thank goodness we both helped each other a ton.

I find it more disturbing as a single (with strangers) when they are riding and you are walking and they just zoom off right past where your ball might be and never bother at all to give a look. Now your playing catch up because your walking and and also have to find your ball. Many times its just simply in the rough and well in play but very hard to find anyway. The rare occasion I have a cart I offer even more help vs when I am walking especially if other people are walkers I will always go and find others balls and point it out to them before heading to my own area. There are some people who will do the same as well but as said there are also those who just don't want to be bothered. In some circumstances I actually find it rude.

I see it as being really rude. Looking for a lost ball should always be a group effort. Golf teaches us a lot about other people.

I see it as being really rude. Looking for a lost ball should always be a group effort. Golf teaches us a lot about other people.

I would agree for the most part. But there are times when its not all that practical for the whole group to search as a whole. Some discretion does need to be used as to just when it helps vs the more rare occasion when it may hurt more than help. But generally speaking I do agree with you as most of the time it is more beneficial.

I'm very fortunate to say that my regular group of guys all look out for each other, and do what's necessary to prevent lost balls but still maintain pace by alternating shots so that we can assist each other, etc.

I have a bit of a knack for following wayward shots, and I will always make a note of a significant land-mark and assist to the best of my ability any playing partner I might have, regular or stranger. Usually I'm still looking even after they've hit a replacement ball if I'm in good position myself (or I've already hit) If I'm not in a good position I will keep it short and move on. For my own balls I usually don't spend much more than 90 seconds looking; if it's not obvious then I don't deserve it back. Forget about it, take the drop, hit and move on trying to salvage the best score possible.

I'm fortunate that I don't lose many so when one goes off the rails it's usually spectacular and even Lassie wouldn't find it if it were wrapped in bacon (sorry, couldn't resist using that one)

Back