Crystal Downs Country Club (Alister MacKenzie) Course Review

Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
Crystal Downs Country Club Course Review - An Alister MacKenzie and Perry Maxwell Design

Crystal Downs Country Club is one of the true golfing gems in the United States. It is located in northwest Michigan, on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, three miles north of Frankfort and forty miles west of Traverse City. It was founded in 1927, and designed by Alister MacKenzie and Perry Maxwell. Yes, the same Alister MacKenzie who designed Augusta National, Cypress Point, and Pasatiempo. Much like those, Crystal Downs is extremely highly acclaimed, ranked #13 in the United States and #31 in the World by Golf Digest.

While Crystal Downs is a full service, private country club, this review will only focus on its wonderful golf course.

Crystal Downs is a links style course situated on extremely undulating terrain. It plays to a par of 70, and only has 2 par 5s. The course has 4 different tees to choose from, with their yardages, ratings, and slopes as follows:

Red: 5466, 73.7, 135
Gold: 5695, 69.6, 128
White: 6302, 72.6, 135
Blue: 6518, 73.6, 138

The course provides a very detailed, and useful guidebook for all of the holes. In the guidebook, the Club's long time head-pro describes Crystal Downs as "a thinking person's course, where long is good but not necessary...where the position you leave your ball is critical, and where the wind always blows. Crystal Downs is the coming together of golf's greatest architect, Dr. Alister MacKenzie, at the zenith of his career (after designing Cypress Point and just before Augusta National), with a marvelous piece of property."

We met our host at the golf shop, which is right next to the first tee. This view of the 1st hole greeted me. To say I was unbelievably excited would be an understatement.
attachment.php

It had several other breath-taking elevated tee shots, such as #10 shown here, which is an amazing par 4 from the highest point on the property.

attachment.php

And here is #17. A wonderful short par 4, where you hit your drive through a very narrow chute straight downhill
attachment.php

Then, after a good drive, this is the view for your 2nd shot back up the hill to an elevated green that looks like its floating in the sky. Spectacular.
attachment.php

I had heard before my trip here about how difficult the greens were. That would be an understatement. Quite simply put, they are the hardest greens I have ever played. They have wonderful (but devilish) slopes and contours, and the club keeps them very fast. As our host kindly informed us before we started our round, "make sure to stay below the hole." Truer words have never been spoken. If you were above certain holes, you had a hard time even keeping your ball on the putting surface. There was also a great variation in the size of the greens. Some are extremely large, others are very small. And some are incredibly unique, like the famous "kidney" punch-bowl green on #7 pictured here. Notice the way the green wraps around the bunker.

attachment.php

And a closer look at the green here:

attachment.php

Another interesting design feature MacKenzie used are tee shots to blind landing areas. The most famous of which is the par 4 5th hole shown here.
attachment.php

A good tee shot actually is between the bunkers and the tree on the right, and carries over the hill, to where a large fairway awaits, but the tree and bunkers certainly can get in your head if you let them. This hole is consistently rated as one of the best in the world. I loved it.

Crystal Downs has one of the best collections of par 3's I have ever played. # 3 is shown below. Notice how the back bunker blends perfectly into the landscape.
attachment.php

#11 is another very fun par 3, playing between 180-200 yards across a ravine to a diabolical green. I mentioned the slopes on the greens earlier. For example on this hole I hit a great shot pin high to about 8 feet. I had to play almost 4 feet of break on my birdie putt.
attachment.php

#14 shown below is a short hole, around 140 yards, and with a gorgeous backdrop. The bunkers in front of the green are telling you "don't be short." However with the way the green sits perched atop a hill, you can't be long either. A tremendous short par 3.
attachment.php

Final Thoughts:

I had very high hopes and expectations heading into my round at Crystal Downs, but the course surpassed all of them. It was an absolute pleasure to be able to play an Alister MacKenzie design. The combination of wonderful terrain, beautiful hole designs, and amazing green complexes made for an unforgettable round. All of the staff at the club were incredibly welcoming and friendly. The course conditions were immaculate. All in all, Crystal Downs is simply a world-class golf club. I hope you enjoyed the review. Will provide a few more photos in following posts.

I've played 2 or 3 McKenzie courses and love them all. I can see his signature elements in the pictures. What a fun play this looks like. Thanks for sharing!

BTW, you should ask your host if his club participates in the McKenzie Cup

Excellent review! Looks like a fun course and plenty challenging.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Excellent review! Thanks for sharing!

A few more pictures I took.

9c50bd5988a5c0dfccd3e943e82966c7.jpg

8966019990896a2a6778cbe39cd6983c.jpg

Can you say slopes
e112c75fd7c522fb40426307d15aa21e.jpg

A view of sleeping bear dunes from the clubhouse
4a4b3d3971a688e61e9403e9d5337915.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a bad view for a post round cocktail at the clubhouse
54fe1cc42d27f1900ceeb1f4d71c2c5c.jpg

A view of the 18th green from the clubhouse
9ea6dddb246438719ae60bbf379494b8.jpg

That looks Amazing!!
Very JEALOUS!!

Crystal Downs has been near the top of my "places I really want to play" list for a while now. Thanks for sharing, and letting me live vicariously through your photos! What a treat.

That place looks absolutely phenomenal, would love to play there. Thanks for the review.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Great review and the course looks fantastic. Thanks for posting!

Great Review! This is one of the courses I would love to play.

Great review, and good lord thats hilly

Great review, and good lord thats hilly

Thanks, and yes, unbelievably hilly. I probably should have mentioned it more than I did. I'm not sure I had a flat lie other than on the tee box the entire day. Surprisingly according to the member we played with, a ton of guys there walk and carry their own bags, and the group behind us was doing it. I can't imagine it. They also have a very big caddie program. I was playing with my 70 year old father, so needless to say we rode. Not that I needed to be convinced.

One other really cool fact that I learned is that Tom Doak is a member and spends a ton of time there. Having played quite a few of his courses, you can certainly see how Crystal Downs has influenced a lot of his designs, especially his green complexes.

If you could putt well at Crystal Downs, you could putt well anywhere. The greens were insanely difficult, and the member told me they were actually running a bit slower than usual due to the big drought we are in here. I took quite a few pictures of the greens, but much like on tv, pictures just don't really show the slopes as well as they deserve.

The guidebook was really helpful and had some funny comments. Like about your 2nd shot into #1 . "A miss left is a bogey, a miss right is a disaster." I missed just left and as predicted made bogey. If you would have missed right, you simply could not have kept the ball on the green with your chip shot or bunker shot etc. For #2 it said, "golfers have putted off every green at Crystal Downs, and the front pin here is one where it happens often."

If you would have been 1 yard short on your 2nd shot on 17 which I put the picture of above, you would have been hitting from at least 50-60 yards away.

One thing this course really showed me personally, and which the pro touched on in his statement, is that a course doesn't need to be overly long to be extremely challenging. It also was fairly forgiving on most tee shots, however the 2nd shots and greens more than made up for it. If you got out of position at all, you were in big, big trouble.

One thing this course really showed me personally, and which the pro touched on in his statement, is that a course doesn't need to be overly long to be extremely challenging. It also was fairly forgiving on most tee shots, however the 2nd shots and greens more than made up for it. If you got out of position at all, you were in big, big trouble.
So true, so true. My best friend is a member at a McKenzie course in California that's a par 68 and measures to 5600 or 5800 from the tips. But thanks to all the factors you mentioned it is a real test, definitely a tough course.

That's a great looking course. Glad you had the opportunity to play it and thanks for posting.

Nice job! That 11th looks very similar to the 18th at Pasatiempo, another AM course. Good opportunity for you to play here!

Great review, Damien. Crystal Downs is truly a gem of a course that few get to experience. I had the pleasure of playing it several times back when I lived in Michigan. I remember some of the greens were absolutely diabolical. I also remember some beautiful views from some of the tee boxes, which you captured in a few of your pics. Thanks for posing. It brought back some memories of good times "up North".

Great review and awesome looking course. How'd you shoot?

Great review, Damien. Crystal Downs is truly a gem of a course that few get to experience. I had the pleasure of playing it several times back when I lived in Michigan. I remember some of the greens were absolutely diabolical. I also remember some beautiful views from some of the tee boxes, which you captured in a few of your pics. Thanks for posing. It brought back some memories of good times "up North".

Thanks Ken. That's really cool. This was my first time there. Had been dying to play it for years, glad it finally worked out. #17 is one of my favorite holes I have ever played anywhere.

Great review and awesome looking course. How'd you shoot?

Thanks. I shot 80. Hit the ball pretty well but made a few mistakes and had some misses in places you couldn't miss. Unfortunately I 3 putted 18 or would have broken 80, which would have been cool on that course. Still happy with it and was a fantastic experience.

Interesting that when I went to put my score in for my handicap I saw that the ratings/slopes have changed from what was in the book. The white tees have gone all the way up to 141 slope. Pretty crazy for a 6300 yard course, even if it is a par 70. Will have to update my first post.

One other really cool fact that I learned is that Tom Doak is a member and spends a ton of time there. Having played quite a few of his courses, you can certainly see how Crystal Downs has influenced a lot of his designs, especially his green complexes.

If you could putt well at Crystal Downs, you could putt well anywhere. The greens were insanely difficult, and the member told me they were actually running a bit slower than usual due to the big drought we are in here. I took quite a few pictures of the greens, but much like on tv, pictures just don't really show the slopes as well as they deserve.

The guidebook was really helpful and had some funny comments. Like about your 2nd shot into #1 . "A miss left is a bogey, a miss right is a disaster." I missed just left and as predicted made bogey. If you would have missed right, you simply could not have kept the ball on the green with your chip shot or bunker shot etc. For #2 it said, "golfers have putted off every green at Crystal Downs, and the front pin here is one where it happens often."

If you would have been 1 yard short on your 2nd shot on 17 which I put the picture of above, you would have been hitting from at least 50-60 yards away.

Thanks for the review and all the great pics. CD is certainly on my dream list. (Thread idea). Have you played Kingsley? If so what are your thoughts relating the two?

Back