Are you a grinder?

Big SoIL

Reaction score
Handicap
It's a term we hear all the time here on THP when talking about prep for an event or even a match itself or just hitting balls on the range or a Saturday morning round with friends. Do you consider yourself a grinder and what does it mean to you? Looking forward to the different perspectives on this one, I feel like it's a pretty loosely used term.

Yes. I will put in stupid levels of practice effort regardless of impact. I also see my golf game as grinding. Variability and inconsistency -- there are differences between those two -- define my game. I fight through that and every shot to get the best outcomes I can. I grind. If I have a skill -- that is probably a weakness -- grinding is it.

I don't think I would consider myself a grinder, but I do know that I don't really have any God-given talent to play this game and have worked to get to my current level. I go to the range whenever I can...which recently has been 2 to 3 times a week even when I have months like July where I could only get out to play once.

Still, I know I am outworked by most here so don't want to consider myself a true grinder.

I don't grind practice wise. Health issues limit that. I save the body just to work and play.

I'm not much of a grinder really. I like to play. So I'll go play and try different shots to see what happens but I don't go out and spend hours perfecting that perfect chip shot.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I would probably be considered a grinder. I practice often but have significant distance limitations that require me to have a decent short game to save par on a regular basis. I feel I grind in these situations while the longer players hit it on the green an two putt. Have to admit that I actually like the style!!

I guess I would be called a grinder. Never really thought to much about it.

Not a chance I am the first to say how much I dislike practice. I go to the range and practice green a few times a year at most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would consider myself a grinder on the course, I’m not going to wow you with any shots, but I try to keep the ball in front of me and give myself a putt at par or birdie. In a competitive event, I can’t compete with a lot of the guy’s length off the tee, but if I can keep grinding out shots, I can push them enough to hopefully make a mistake.

I am a grinder and always have been. I tend to be a bit more relaxed at THP events so I can enjoy the events but in my men's group I'm a grinder

In regards to practice, no way. The extent of my practice is putting on my indoor green. During a round, I can grind with the best of them if I don't have my A game with me.

In my mind I am a grinder. I would/could spend hours on end practicing, but that will never happen. My family and time with them will ALWAYS come first, which is why golf is a fun distraction for me and nothing more.

I can't be a grinder, it goes against my nature really and it's counterproductive to my game. When I grind, I do fall in that place from time to time, I play terrible. I turn it into work and the fun stops and I start to press. I need to stay calm, have some laughs, and I'll play some good golf. It's probably why I'm terrible on the driving range.

I am definitely NOT a grinder anymore, in the practice sense. I would rather be on the course playing than practicing. I want to have fun, and struggling at the range doesn't equal fun for me.

I am a grinder though when it comes to on course. In that way I see it as being able to make an acceptable score out of something that looks terrible.

Well, I'm certainly a grinder as far as scoring. I don't remember much of my prep for the legacy last year. I did a lot of it, but I'd be willing to bet 75% of it was short game, and since I like the short game so much, it didn't feel like a grind. Put on some tunes, hit some shots with a bit of competition against yourself, seemed like fun to me.

I personally don't like the grind feel. I don't like feeling obligated to play this game. I play quite a bit as it is, and if it starts feeling like an obligation rather than something fun, then my game will get worse. That's how it felt before my recent city championship. So I took time off, hung out with the family, got my life priorities straight, and came back out knowing that it was supposed to be fun, and to just have fun with it.

So I guess what I'm saying is, maybe I'm not a grinder in terms of tournament prep. I do what I can to take the grind out of it.

~Rock

In the summer I practice everyday, sometimes 2 or 3 times (there is a practice facility 3 blocks from home). On the course I've always been a hit it where I won't lose it and work around the greens kinda player. Since taking up golf again 4 years ago I've gone from shooting low 90s to low 70s-high 80s. So I guess, that is what works for me, I won't outdrive you or hit it a mile high.

Back