Metallica's "Black Album" Released 25 Years Ago Today

Nappy

2024 Shaft Up #1 with UST Mamiya
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
PBR
One of the best albums ever - back when music was still good!

Wow, 25 years goes by fast and now I feel old. Thanks! Was probably their last really good album, the ones that came after couldn't touch it.

Wow, I guess I know what I am about to throw on the headphones after lunch! Great Album.

Still one of my favorites

Wow, I guess I know what I am about to throw on the headphones after lunch! Great Album.

I had to do the same. Streaming it from YouTube right now at work.

Definitely one of the greatest Rock/Hard Rock albums of all-time.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I'm a Metallica fan. I still listen to all of it. It's an amazing album for what it did to the band and genre.

I'm old. Lol

I love the production on this album, but that's about it. I have the first 4 albums on my iPod and they'll always stay there (plus Garage Days Re-Revisited) but this album to me was the downfall of the greatest thrash band ever. I was so disappointed when it came out.

I miss Napster.

My wife and I were just talking about Napster last night, and how much it changed the music landscape. How there was always the cloud of whether you had downloaded enough for the govt to come after you.

I love the production on this album, but that's about it. I have the first 4 albums on my iPod and they'll always stay there (plus Garage Days Re-Revisited) but this album to me was the downfall of the greatest thrash band ever. I was so disappointed when it came out.
They went from thrash to hard rock/heavy metal. It pissed off a lot of their long time fans but they gained way more than they lost. That album made them superstars and headliners on stadium tours. I saw them during the Monster's of Rock tour back around 1988? They were like 4th on bill behind Van Halen, Scorpions, and Dokken.

They went from thrash to hard rock/heavy metal. It pissed off a lot of their long time fans but they gained way more than they lost. That album made them superstars and headliners on stadium tours. I saw them during the Monster's of Rock tour back around 1988? They were like 4th on bill behind Van Halen, Scorpions, and Dokken.

I saw them on the "And Justice for All" tour back in 1989/90

I personally think their downfall was when they released that album with the symphony orchestra. They took a lot of heat for that one.

I saw them on the "And Justice for All" tour back in 1989/90

I saw them on the Monsters of Rock tour too, and then twice on the AJFA tour. Great shows.

When I first heard Master of Puppets I was in 6th grade and just starting to get into heavier music. That album was just the most amazing thing I ever heard at the time. When AJFA came out, to me it was even better since I've always liked longer, more technical songs (even if the production was weak). Then the Black album came out and it was just so disappointing to me. I totally get that they matured and moved in another direction, heck no bands besides AC/DC and The Ramones have ever made a career of sounding exactly the same on every album. It just simply wasn't a direction I liked.

I personally think their downfall was when they released that album with the symphony orchestra. They took a lot of heat for that one.

I'll say it. That was a great album. I really liked that they stepped out of their comfort zone and showed what can be done with imagination. Heavy metal symphony? Why not!

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I didn't mind album, but they took a lot of grief for it.

One of the very first albums I owned. Man does time fly.

I saw them on the tour for this album at the Forum in LA. Was a great show. I still love the old thrash stuff much more, but this was a solid album. Makes me feel so old though knowing it's that old.

Geez, I was in college when this was released. Thanks for reminding me how long ago that was. I hate you.

Geez, I was in college when this was released. Thanks for reminding me how long ago that was. I hate you.

Hey deuce...... I was in middle school when this album was released.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Back