Your Bang For The Buck Course

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Everybody has that course near them that is always inexpensive and offers solid conditions and overall good ROI/Bang for the Buck. What course in your area offers that?

My home course, County Oaks in Thomasville, GA, would fall into this classification. Max green fees during the week are about $25, conditions are typically good for a muni, the layout is challenging and pace of play is generally good.

Shenandoah Valley Golf Club. I can play midweek via GolfNow for as little as $10. Greens are always in very good shape. Not long, but it's a fairly challenging layout.

Locally....the course where my league is played is it (Fairways of Halfmoon). $25 for 18, a cart, and lunch is their spring and fall special; and nobody else comes even close to that deal.

And I still say, that playing Bethpage Black for the NYS Resident Rate of $85 is the best 'bang for the buck' course I've ever played.

All things considered, The Bog in Reedsville, WI is it. It is an 80 minute drive, but it is my state's only Palmer course. It is reasonably priced. It is also a lot of fun.

• Admin
Locally....the course where my league is played is it (Fairways of Halfmoon). $25 for 18, a cart, and lunch is their spring and fall special; and nobody else comes even close to that deal.

And I still say, that playing Bethpage Black for the NYS Resident Rate of $85 is the best 'bang for the buck' course I've ever played.

Ill be honest, I assumed most courses in your area were like $9 based on a few conversations of overpriced.

Trophy Club. Lebanon, IN. A few THPers are going to get to enjoy it next friday before the Cleveland event. Course is fun, challenging and in great condition. $32 after 2:30 daily.

http://www.thetrophyclubgolf.com/course/

Recently played Pilgrims Run just outside of Grand Rapids Michigan. $60 includes cart. This is a GREAT layout and in GREAT condition, I would easily pay upwards of $100. And if you play on Sunday and bring in that mornings Church bulletin they will give you 10% off!

Spring valley in Kawkawlin MI. early season and late season $5 to walk. Cant beat it.

Willow Valley G & CC near Brighouse in the UK. Has 3 courses: a 9 holer £10 at the weekend, an 18 holer at £20 weekends and the signature course (Yorkshire PGA course) £38. Great place.

2 weeks ago though i found an absolute gem. Lofthouse hill in Wakefield. Really nice 18holer, well kept and only £16 any day or a tenner for 9 holes.

Real close to me is Brambleton Golf Course which is part of the Parks Association. Not as cheap as this though...

Shenandoah Valley Golf Club. I can play midweek via GolfNow for as little as $10. Greens are always in very good shape. Not long, but it's a fairly challenging layout.

Right now we have a fantastic deal going on at The Tribute. $29.99 a month for there players club which includes unlimited range balls and free weekly clinics. You also get $30 tee times after noon and $15 after 2pm and every round comes with 2 drink tickets that include Alcohol. Normal price for the course is $99.

I'll go with heather glen. 60 bucks on the weekend and a 20 minute drive from my place.

Id say the group of passes we got for Roses Run for $24 a piece isnt too bad, especially since we can make tee times weekend mornings, hard to beat that price around here

Ill be honest, I assumed most courses in your area were like $9 based on a few conversations of overpriced.
Not in Albany. Golf is stupid expensive (for what you get) in Albany. Especially compared to other parts of the state (not NYC).

In MA, golf is crazy expensive. I'd say the two big Donald Ross municipal courses (George Wright and Ponkapoag #1 since the redesign) are the best bang for the buck. Conditions are usually pretty good, the layouts are fantastic. But you're not going to have much in the way of amenities.

Still, you're looking at $45 or so for an 18 hole round at a great design, and that's hard to find around here.

Probably Durand Eastman for $20 that are almost always available on GolfNow, only downfall is it can get a bit backed up from time to time.
That or Mill Creek for $40 during the Spring/Fall. We also have a course called Blue Herron that does a $40 18 holes + a steak dinner, such a good deal!

I always thought Stone Creek in Ocala was a great deal for a course that was always in great shape when I played. About 37$ to play in the morning on a weekend is a great deal and I have never been disappointed there.

Coyote Creek, solid fairway and green conditions and tee rates with cart can be had from $40-55 on weekends.

I'd have to say Salinas Fairways which is a city course. It's about $25 to play. It has some of the best greens I've played in the area, which when you consider some of the courses we have here, is pretty impressive. The fairways don't hold up to the likes of your Quail's and Bayonet Blackhorse's, but they are pretty good. There's some good tricky holes on there too, especially when the breeze gets up.

almost everything in orlando during the summer is a good deal after noon. one of the best deals although i've only played it once is royal st cloud. often under $20 and conditions are perfectly fine. lots of play, though.

In MA, golf is crazy expensive. I'd say the two big Donald Ross municipal courses (George Wright and Ponkapoag #1 since the redesign) are the best bang for the buck. Conditions are usually pretty good, the layouts are fantastic. But you're not going to have much in the way of amenities.

Still, you're looking at $45 or so for an 18 hole round at a great design, and that's hard to find around here.
I second this pick and would like to add DW Field in Brockton. Built in 1927 Stiles and Van Kleek designed track with bare bones amenities. I think it 's a deal for $40.00 with a cart. Average green fee at a decent course near me is at least $40.00...walking.

A 9 hole executive course about a driver from my house called Summerfield. Juniors play for $11, adults play for $12-$16, twilight is all you can play for like $12. It isn't a course where you are going to hit driver, but it is very well maintained and a solid play.

Trophy Club. Lebanon, IN. A few THPers are going to get to enjoy it next friday before the Cleveland event. Course is fun, challenging and in great condition. $32 after 2:30 daily.

http://www.thetrophyclubgolf.com/course/

Yep.. This was the course I was going to say although I think Hickory Stick in Greenwood, Indiana is a very close second.

Thunderhawk Golf Club... After 2 PM, $49 walking. After 4 PM, $35 walking.

Back