Shaft Steps: What They Mean?

vicar

Banned
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the number of shaft steps (grooves/notches), their spacing, and their positioning, in an iron means anything, and if so what?

For example I noticed on my X22 6 iron, I have I believe 10 steps. On the R9 6 iron, 12 steps.

I also noticed TMs steps are more closely spaced and concentrated towards the club head end of the shaft, while the X22 steps are more evenly distributed from grip to club head.

Do these things have to do with stiffness or softness of the flex? With where the shaft flexes thereby affecting launch?

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I understand a little about soft and hard stepping shafts in general, and that makes me wonder if steps closer together at the end of the shaft might mean more overall stiffness in the shaft (lower ball flight)?

Also I've read (but honestly don't fully understand) that stepped shafts are supposed to produce an advantage of being more consistent in flex throughout a set, (as opposed to rifle no step shafts, which claim step shafts are "energy robbing")

I don't know. :confused2:

But am curious if anyone knows.

Thanks!

You are on the right track.

Back