907golfer12

Makin a comeback!
Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone here work at a course, or previously worked at a course? If you have what did you do? How did you like it? And what perks did you get?

Today I just dropped off my job application at my home course and talked to the owner, I have the job. It probably helped that I spent everyday for the past 2 summers at the course. If you work there, you get discounted rounds ($1.50 for 9, and $3 for 18) and free range, along with discounts on gear in the Pro Shop, and with the companies that we have accounts with.

I worked in the cart barn for two years at Countryside Country Club while I was in high school.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a job at the driving range or at Golf Galaxy. I applied months ago and I didn't get a reply from Golf Galaxy.

907 -- what job will you be doing at your course?

I'm currently a marshal at my local course. I get free golf, cart and range balls. It really helps out right now due to I'm in between opportunities ;)

The head pro has been impressed with my knowledge of the game both rules and golf in general. At my suggestion he has added several amendments to our league rules.

I have also been helping him revamp his marketing of the course. They use a golf web service and to me it is a waste of money. The pro signed me up for a Nike clinic to learn how to market and fit their new driver. Should be fun, but not much money involved.

907 -- what job will you be doing at your course?

I'm gunna be working in the Cart Barn. Cleaning the carts, giving out the rental clubs, and returning them, picking the range, and keeping the outdoor area around the pro shop clean.

I'm gunna be working in the Cart Barn. Cleaning the carts, giving out the rental clubs, and returning them, picking the range, and keeping the outdoor area around the pro shop clean.

Excellent. The moving driving range target!

I've spent 21 years on course at 1 public and 3 different Country Clubs(4.5yrs, 12.5yrs, 1.5yr and 2.5yrs) in the Greater Cincinnati area. Done every job on course you can think of (and am good at it if I do say so myself) and now I'm having a hard time finding a job. Thinking about going by my College nickname of "Julio" now. My amigos seem to be working , but not this red blooded citizen and I'm willing to take less money too. (less than what I was making when I was laid off of my last job of 2 1/2 yrs)

Really want to stay on a course and not start over in something else not involved in golf.

Dabble part time now in internet sales for a couple companies.

I've spent 21 years on course at 1 public and 3 different Country Clubs(4.5yrs, 12.5yrs, 1.5yr and 2.5yrs) in the Greater Cincinnati area. Done every job on course you can think of (and am good at it if I do say so myself) and now I'm having a hard time finding a job. Thinking about going by my College nickname of "Julio" now. My amigos seem to be working , but not this red blooded citizen and I'm willing to take less money too. (less than what I was making when I was laid off of my last job of 2 1/2 yrs)

Really want to stay on a course and not start over in something else not involved in golf.

Dabble part time now in internet sales for a couple companies.

Maybe see if you can work as a rep or something, that would be sick!

I've been offerd a full time job in that position on commission only for a component company, but I want/need a steady paycheck. I'll help the guy out because I believe in his designs, but it's Un-official. I also work for another company that deals in components, but it's also a commission only deal. They're internet and phone only and right now it's SLOOOOW and I'm just starting out in that aspect of the business. Still learning the ropes.

Plus once you've been on course for as long as I have it gets in your blood, I love being outside on the course.

I've been offerd a full time job in that position on commission only for a component company, but I want/need a steady paycheck. I'll help the guy out because I believe in his designs, but it's Un-official. I also work for another company that deals in components, but it's also a commission only deal. They're internet and phone only and right now it's SLOOOOW and I'm just starting out in that aspect of the business. Still learning the ropes.

Plus once you've been on course for as long as I have it gets in your blood, I love being outside on the course.

Oh, well good luck trying to find a solid job.

Should be obvious from my handle... I spent nine years (8th grade to senior year of college) caddying at one of the 50 snobbiest clubs in America (a club that ClairefromClare is probably familiar with). I also worked in the shop for the last eight of those nine years.

Caddying got me all the golf I could play on Mondays after 12 noon. Working in the shop got me the privilege of hitting balls from the back of the range and playing after 4pm on weekdays. We could buy anything the shop sold at the pro's cost (he carried the full Nike catalog, so I could get anything they made -- I once bought a really nice pair of cycling shoes for half price) The pro also took a special interest in our games so I never paid for lessons. He wanted all of us to be players (I was about a six back then and the worst golfer in the shop).

I applied twice at my home course, but I was just a little late because they had already hired everyone. After talking to a guys who worked there for a long time, I'm glad that I didn't. Although the perks are nice such as discounted clubs and free membership. I don't think I could be working at the golf course seeing all those guys golf and not being able to.

I feel I would golf less if I was working there as well. I prefer to have a job outside of golf for now. Besides the guys told me there you do so much more work than you get paid for, and the members are the grouchiest guys I have ever seen.

I wish I had worked at my course in the summers when I was in high school. I never even thought of it.

I wish I could just rack up balls on the range.

What's better than getting paid while driving a golf cart and listening to your iPod? lol

In the mid 90's I worked for 4 years as a cook at the James River Country Club, a strictly private club founded by the Newport News Shipyard big-wigs back around 1930. As a cook I use to give the pros food for free and in return I got to play 18 holes during my 3 hour break most days. Also, the pro would call some of the other private courses we had a reciprocal agreement with and on my days off I got to play some really nice courses. 30% discount in the pro shop, a few free lessons, and health insurance was $1 a month but the hourly pay was terrible.

Im an assistant golf pro working toward getting my class a when not work free golf, meals, range, all you can possibly think of.

Im an assistant golf pro working toward getting my class a when not work free golf, meals, range, all you can possibly think of.

Awesome, are you on a sponsorship with any company?

Back