What is proper course procedure?

G.R.

Reaction score
Not sure if this is normal or just something to deal with. Finally decent enough to start golfing with the wife. Last night playing a quick 9 holes before storms roll in, we decided to play a public parks course. We are doing fine, looks like we will finish in time before the rain comes. While on previous holes we notice 4 guys in 2 carts just weaving from random hole to any other random hole. With 3 holes to go, while on the fairway, they decide to come across our fairway and tee off at the next hole. The guys then hit approx 12-15 tee shots between them. Then they follow each other in the carts look for all the balls they lost before deciding which ones to hit. It took them almost 20 minutes to complete the one hole. Long story short, the storms come in and we are done. 2 holes shy of being finished.

We have only been golfing a couple months now. We try and dress correctly and have proper course etiquette and play at a reasonable pace. Is this normal for this type of course? Please let me know if not, and what action might have been needed.

Call clubhouse immediately and have them removed from course.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

They had no business doing that. If it happens again call the clubhouse.

See above.

Yah that's ridiculous. If I'm s single and waiting I'll play two balls but that's stupid.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, call the clubhouse and let them know. They should have been removed from the course immediately.

Yep, pretty much what everyone above said. Unfortunately you'll run into people who think paying the greens fees give them carte blanche to ignore course rules, make their own rules, and generally not give a darn or common courtesy to anyone else on the course. Luckily this is by no means the majority of golfers, who by and large do the right thing. But just about every public course will have these players, usualy occurs late in the day when they will use the "excuse" of the course being not crowded to do so.

Bad form. That's just wrong and I hate people that do that kind of stuff on a course

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

To answer your question, no it's not normal for any type of course. But I will say, you find more people like this out at the muni's, especially when they're relatively empty. It's probably because a lot of municipal courses don't pay a marshal, or keep a close watch on what's going on.

There is almost no way to handle that with out a confrontation with those clowns because I'm sure they think the Muni is there personal Golf course. The only choice would have been for yourself to skip a hole and play a vacant one. I personally would never have been ok with that and would have said something to them quite vocally. The result would have been fairly ugly, but that's me. As others have said, with out a Ranger there isn't much can be done. You would have gotten back to the club house after them. On a muni course there isn't much you can do but know this,,, they are an exception and not the norm for even a muni.

Its called beginners and alcohol. Or jackazzs and alcohol? A couple college guys and alcohol? Oh the joy of alcohol!

I have played courses where the pro-shop encourages people to jump ahead of slower players to speed up play.
Example, the other day our men's foursome got behind a very slow playing women's foursome. We jumped in front of them by one hole, teed off, and after that hole when we looked back they were no where to be seen.

Way they were doing is in no way acceptable. Call the club house and they will kick them out.

Unfortunate that you had to deal with this, as several posts above, call the club/pro shop and report them. Ask management to correct the issue.

You should have just driven on to the next hole. If you had time, come back to this hole or play #10.

Call the clubhouse to get it resolved.

At that point other than making a phone call, I don't know what else you can do tbh.

That is not proper course procedure. Call the clubhouse (hopefully somebody is there if it's late in the day) and they can get rid of the offenders.

I would have made a call. If nothing happened i'd just tee off and yell fore.

I am not sure calling the clubhouse will really do any good. Everyone, marshals, clubhouse personnel are all afraid of confronting anyone in fear that the "customer" will never return. What they fail to realize is that the people whp have to put up with this behavior, the people they really want as custoemrs, are the ones that aren't going to come back.

We have a single that comes out early every weekday, plays only 9 holes but jumps around from hole to hole interrupting the greens mower who often has to wait for him on one or more greens. As a result, guys with the early tee times play a mixture of greens that have been mowed and those the mower hasn't gotten to yet. The greens mower has complained, others have complained and management just shrugs their shoulders. That is the same response they give to complaints about people just choosing on their own to start on number 10 because they have no tee time and don't feel like waiting until the first hole is open to them.

We thought about jumping ahead but didnt know procedure, besides the weather was about to crash in on us. First time encountering this. Didnt know if this occurred often and to deal with it, or if we just got interrupted by a bunch of clowns

We thought about jumping ahead but didnt know procedure, besides the weather was about to crash in on us. First time encountering this. Didnt know if this occurred often and to deal with it, or if we just got interrupted by a bunch of clowns

Clowns. Definitely clowns.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Yeah jumping ahead is almost always OK, assuming they aren't waiting on a slow group ahead of them.

I'm sorry you dealt with some Jerks, sadly it won't be the last time. But the good news is there are way more great people playing golf. I hope you and the wife enjoy the game.

Lol at getting them removed from the course. While it's bad form to do what they did, the likely hood of them being removed is slime. I would however call the club house but more than likely there is one guy in the shop and maybe a cart kid. Sorry you had to experience that not all golfers are like that.

That's why we quit playing our old course.
They would let groups of 7 to 9 people play on weekends.
We would show the owners the pics and they would say " No groups larger than 4 checked in."
They also told us to skip around . We did go around a group of 8, only to get behind a group of 6. The group of 6 was sharing clubs from only 3 bags.
In the group of 6, their best player probably shot a 150 for 18 holes. He gave the group individual lessons on every shot. We watched a woman shoot a 20??? something on a short par 4.
We told the owners in the clubhouse and they said " Everybody has to start somewhere."
That was the last time we played there.
At the new course we have run into 25-30 people that used to play the old course.
They agree that those owners preferred to have those groups of 6-9, because that was more money than they got from 2 of us playing.
They sure lost a lot of business.
It is a new course. Only 4 years old, and now they only have those few large groups that play.

Always get the number to the clubhouse at any course and use it in cases like this one. I was thinking about one group of guys that I play with from time to time that would have handled it themselves lol. But that's not the correct way. Call the clubhouse.

Back