Gather the family, xxxx is on TV tonight!

tomcat

2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
When you were growing up, what was the TV show that your family just wouldn't miss?

In my younger years, I remember it being Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, and Mork & Mindy. Later on, The Cosby Show.

I even remember that once a year, one of the networks (CBS maybe) would show The Wizard of Oz in primetime, and we'd all eat dinner on the TV trays in the living room. Was always a fun night.

Wizard of Oz, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman come immediately to mind.

Nowadays there are just too many choices for movies but back in the day we only had 4 channels.

Benny Hill, Fawlty Towers, Cosby show, Miami Vice. - hbo, 1st and ten was my brother and my go to show back in the day.

specials - A Christmas story was always great.

Didn't see the part about TV shows. All in the Family and MASH come to mind.

Mom and I watched The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson every night. I was able to get up for school every morning, so she never worried about me staying up late.

Growing up in the '60s and '70s we only had three "real" stations and only one TV so we always gathered to watch in the evenings.

We did watch All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart Show, Family, Happy Days, The Waltons, MASH among others.

Mom and I watched The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson every night. I was able to get up for school every morning, so she never worried about me staying up late.

I loved Carson. I was always able to stay up for his monologue, but had to go to bed after it when I was younger.

MASH was always another family favorite.

Sha Na Na, Donnie and Marie, and Disney on Sunday nights.

Oh yeah, Disney on Sundays! Completely forgot. There was also the Sunday Night show with Columbo, the show with Dennis Weaver and another one which I can't recall.

Jeopardy, wheel of fortune, the Cosby show and on sick days the price is right. I still watch the price is right on days I stay home from work. When my kids don't have a sporting event we watch Jeopardy and wheel of fortune to see who can get more answers or puzzles right.

As a kid my uncle lived in Utah and he would call my mom and tell her the puzzle answers for wheel of fortune, it always amazed us that after one or two letters she would solve it.

And of course all the holiday specials, my favorite is still The Christmas Story.

I remember when I was real young, Sunday dinner at my grandparents house, was followed by Lawrence Welk, Hee Haw, and Disney.

Jeopardy, ER, Law & Order.

Those are the ones I remember being allowed to stay up late to watch.

Let's go back a ways. Lone Ranger, Superman, Hopalong Cassidy, and when I got older Bonanza (COLOR).

He's one from way back, The Ed Sullivan Show.

Forgot about Wonderful World of Disney. I think it was on after 60 Minutes every Sunday. We watched both.

Lost in Space was a favorite

Star Trek

My brother, sister and I used to watch wrestling at 10:30 PM on Saturdays. They were in St. Joseph, which is about an hour north of us so we had to put aluminum foil on the rabbit ears to be able to get it.

The West Wing. This winter will by my 4th viewing.

Back