Hybrids vs. Fairway Woods

RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
I played a beautiful mountain course yesterday up here in the rockies and my lack of club between a 5-iron and driver REALLY was highlighted as a weakness in my game (beyond my actual ability to swing).

This has been discussed at length I know, back when I used to frequent this forum more, but I was wondering if opinions had changed or technology now supported going one way or the other.

I'm not a phenomenal wood swinger, nor am I a phenomenal long-iron striker but with proper practice and training I'm sure I could do either.

So where are people at these days on this argument?

I was never a hybrid player until I was chosen to test and review the new Ben Hogan VKTR hybrid. It is just so easy to get up in the air and hit straight. I use it all the time to replace my 3/4 irons. It's something I would recommend to try. As for a fairway wood I find it much easier to hit my 5 wood off the deck (and get it airborne) than my 3 wood due to the higher loft. Save the 3 wood for off the tee.

I hit hybrids more consitant and like how the gaps work for my needs so I'm fairway free.

I use them both.

I've got two hybrids and a 3w. While I have confidence in both if I could only choose one it would be the hybrids hands down. The 3W is easy to hit but isn't great from the ruff or for punch shots from under tree branches, so the hybrids are more versatile for me.

Ive done both...Right now I am thinking of going to 2 hybrids and taking out all fairway woods. I love my heavenwood but I am just getting more out of hybrids right now with the versatility they offer.

I prefer fairway wood for the lofts under 20 degrees and hybrids for lofts greater then 20 degrees. I like hitting fairway woods more than hybrids but the higher lofted ones just don't work for me.

I carry a shallow-faced 5 wood and one of three hybrids (17, 20, 22). That does for the space between the 3 wood and 4 iron. I don't concern myself with gapping in the top of the bag as I rarely go for it outside 240.

With the exception of the heavenwood, I can't hit a fairway wood off the deck consistently, so it's hybrids for me.

I'm the opposite of most people. I've never been able to hit a hybrid and rarely a wood so my game from 190 out was by far the biggest weakness in my game. I recently got fit and hit a bunch of hybrids and several woods. Hybrids were dying at the same distance of my 4 iron with a few going further. Basically no reliable distances. I went through several woods and wound up with the Mizuno jpx ez 5 wood and 3 wood. I was able to hit the 5 wood 210 and 3 wood 230 almost every swing I took.

I was shocked as I have never been able to hit a wood before. What the fitter told me is that the majority of people he fits hybrids are the best bet. If you have a steeper swing a hybrid is the way to go but the people who have a shallower swing should go with a wood. I would strongly suggest getting fit by someone knowledgable on a launch monitor and let the numbers make the choice for you.

Thanks for the answers everyone

Can someone explain to me the benefits/detriments of shallow vs. deep faced fairway woods?

I'm the opposite of most people. I've never been able to hit a hybrid and rarely a wood so my game from 190 out was by far the biggest weakness in my game. I recently got fit and hit a bunch of hybrids and several woods. Hybrids were dying at the same distance of my 4 iron with a few going further. Basically no reliable distances. I went through several woods and wound up with the Mizuno jpx ez 5 wood and 3 wood. I was able to hit the 5 wood 210 and 3 wood 230 almost every swing I took.

I was shocked as I have never been able to hit a wood before. What the fitter told me is that the majority of people he fits hybrids are the best bet. If you have a steeper swing a hybrid is the way to go but the people who have a shallower swing should go with a wood. I would strongly suggest getting fit by someone knowledgable on a launch monitor and let the numbers make the choice for you.

This is my experience also. I went to get fit for a new 3 wood and a hybrid last week and ended up ordering two woods. I was easily more consistent with the woods than the hybrid and the yardage gaps were perfect for my bag. I am a woods sweeper so not very steep...I'm sure that made a difference. I ended up ordering a Ping G 3wd and G 7wd w/ 5wd shaft.

Can someone explain to me the benefits/detriments of shallow vs. deep faced fairway woods?

A shallow faced fairway wood has a lower center of mass, which makes it easier to elevate the shot. In fluffy lies, a shallow faced fwy can get a little dicey due to the smaller contact surface.

As for fairway woods vs hybrids, it will be your personal preference. Fairway woods, generally, will have longer shafts, and, lower, deeper centers of mass. Hybrids come in various shapes and sizes, and, its your preference, if you like a hybrid, that, is more wood like, or, more iron like.

Last edited:
I use them both. It really is finding that balance that works for you. I began with a 3 & 5 wood then added a 4 hybrid. and now after trying different combos I play 4W, 7W, 4H, 5H, just gaps where I need it and plays well for me. (when i am swinging them well, user error not club) I would say try a 4W, 4H set up looking at your bag seems like it could gap very well for you and fill the big gap in the bag.

I use both. All about filling gaps and being comfortable

I am not the norm, I go all fairways down to a 9 wood. They simply work better for me and my swing. Hybrids I have tried literally for years and never found one that worked as well as my fairways.

Hybrids for my long iron replacement up to the 210ish range then woods for long game off the tee as an option or 230+ off the deck if I want to get aggressive on a par 5

3 wood for tee's, 5w and 4h for off the deck.

Woods and Hybrids are unavoidable for the short hitter. I've found that with either of these, the mental side of the game really comes into play since you probably don't have as many opportunities to hit these clubs.

What works for me is to NEVER try to hit the distance that I need with these clubs. Typically, my mental approach is to hit these clubs at 80% and eliminate the 20% that is tension and will definitely screw up my shot. I'm now able to make these clubs work "for me" instead of "against me".

You raise a good point. I think I still have the immature attitude that as soon as I grab a club with a swollen head, I need to grip it and rip it, which of course is not wise for someone with my playing ability.
Sunday was an anomalous round since I was hitting my driver and 5 iron better than any other time in my life but that doesn't mean i can do any of that consistently.

Woods and Hybrids are unavoidable for the short hitter. I've found that with either of these, the mental side of the game really comes into play since you probably don't have as many opportunities to hit these clubs.

What works for me is to NEVER try to hit the distance that I need with these clubs. Typically, my mental approach is to hit these clubs at 80% and eliminate the 20% that is tension and will definitely screw up my shot. I'm now able to make these clubs work "for me" instead of "against me".

Really boils down to your ball flight and type of misses. I typically hit hybrids better than fairway woods. I think probably due to them having a shorter shaft at the same lofts. With the longer shafts I tend to have less consistent contact, so a bigger dispersion. My ballflight is high enough that I do not need the extra lift you tend to get with the fairway woods compared to the hybrids. If your ballflight is low a fairway wood may be a better choice. That and not trying to hit anything stronger than a 5 wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still use both.

I use both, went from a 3 wood to 4 wood for versatility. Also have a 21* hybrid which is a go to on tight holes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deep faced FW' s are usually more forgiving because of the larger surface area. However, In deep rough and tight lies, deep faced woods are harder to hit since the larger clubface will snag more in rough and in tight lies is harder to get under the ball. However, shallow faced woods are harder to use in fluffy lies where the ball is sitting up.

The choice depends on your playing style and the type of lies you commonly encounter.

As my signature shows I use both woods and hybrids.

I play both, have 2 hybrids and 2 FW. Thinking about dropping my 3/5 combo and going to a Heavenwood and adding a 3H as I think I might be a little more consistent with both clubs. I love my 5w, but I rarely hit my 3W solidly.

Have to have a shallower faced fairway wood though as if the club is too deep I feel like I can't catch the ball solid.

Back