Driver Spin - Do you Know It?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Its talked about so commonly as the latest buzz word with actual meaning in clubs, shafts, balls, etc.
Do you know your spin off the tee with the driver? Do you know how to increase or reduce it?
What is yours?

I am around 2400. Abouts. According to my time on launch monitors. How to manipulate it, without changing equipment, no idea.

The times I've looked enough at the TM machine to see, mine was fluctuating a good amount.

I would like to know more. I always thought I was a lower spin player but my #Granddaddy fitting proved I am a high spin player. Using a low spin/low launch shaft in a heavier weight combined with a high lofted head was used to get a more ideal numbers.

I know my spin was low 3000 last fitting I had. I'm not entirely sure on how to effectively increase or reduce it.

About 2750. Not sure it is enough with my swing speed.

I'm guessing I'm around 2400 now but honestly no idea. I opted not to get on a launch monitor because the real world results were just too good to care. How to increase or reduce it? No idea.

I don't know mine. I'm just guessing but I think it's way higher than it needs to be.

2400-2500 range with 15* launch. 10.5* set to 11.5* with stiff shaft.

I was gaming 12+ drivers with R flex shafts and found out I was getting 18-21* of launch and over 3k spin. Balloon city.

Finally figured it all out one day when playing on a wet course. I was plugging all my drives at 200 yds with the 12*. Brought out the 10.5* on the back nine and started carrying it further and with roll was getting 230-240.

Went to a demo day and the OEM had me hit a 10.5 and 12* and we confirmed the 10.5 was a better fit.

When I bought my XR16 I hit a bunch of shafts and settled on one around the 2700 mark. Now to manipulate that up or down I have no clue.

My spin is over 4000. I come over the top. It kills my distance and only average between 190 and 210 off the tee. I've taken lessons and given drills to prevent it...I just struggle with following them.

2400-2500 range with 15* launch. 10.5* set to 11.5* with stiff shaft.

I was gaming 12+ drivers with R flex shafts and found out I was getting 18-21* of launch and over 3k spin. Balloon city.

3k gave you ballooning? Interesting.

I have not been on a good LM since being at the ECPC. The numbers there were really good with my current set up. I have always been fit into Low/ Low set ups because of spin issues with driver. My Grandaddy set up is the first to move away from this with the Kiyoshi Gold, but it seems to work. I think my spin #'s were in the low 2000's at ECPC.

Low. Don't remember the number but it was low that my guy was surprised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm remembering correctly, my 915 D2 was around 2800 when I got fit for it. A few clubs were slightly lower, but I never dropped below 2600.

When I was fit for the driver last year it was about 2400.

2300-2700 depending on quality of strike. Generally to increase spin, just have a more neutral stance and have a neutral or negative angle of attack and move the ball back a bit in the stance. To decease spin, setup with the front shoulder a bit higher than the back shoulder and try to hit up on the ball with a positive angle of attack with the ball a bit more forward in the stance.

Last edited:
I do thanks to THP and the good Dr. Le at UST Mamiya last February!

Spin was around 2,700 - 2,800 and he got it down to 2,200 - 2,300.

I am anywhere between 2200-4000 rpm depending on the quality of swing and contact

I do thanks to THP and the good Dr. Le at UST Mamiya last February!

Spin was around 2,700 - 2,800 and he got it down to 2,200 - 2,300.

Just a shaft change?

I am pretty sure I am a low spin guy. I will get on a monitor next week to confirm. How do I change that I have no idea

Average from what I've seen for me on a monitor it's in the 2600-2700 range. As far as what can change the spin rate... where on the face you hit it, weight placement in the head, loft, approach angle, swing path... and probably a whole lot more. lol

I don't make consistent contact on the driver club face. My "normal" swing I get @ 3250, which, according to my instructor, means I am striking lower on the club face. When I do strike it more towards the center I get @ 2750-2850. For me, that means about 20 yards or so less distance when I am not hitting the sweet spot. With a 90 mph swing speed those 20 yards are critical for me.

I'm typically between high 2's and low 3's with my drives.

How to increase or decrease? Change heads completely or adjust loft?

Back