I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Callaway Big Bertha Irons – THP Review Thread

Homepage Review: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/ca...rons-review-2/

In for review is one of the latest iron offerings from Callaway Golf. When the Big Bertha irons were released back in the fall of 2014, they promised some strong distance gains, along with a great amount of forgiveness. Fast forward to today and the Big Bertha irons are due for a refresh. Callaway has been able to take some of the technology that they have outlined with the new Big Bertha Fusion driver, as well as the to be expected Face Cup technology. By using multiple types of materials and a new Exo-Cage design, they have created an iron that will deliver a friendly performance on days that this game isn’t so friendly to us.

Below is some information from Callaway, including a tech highlight and iron specs.

From Callaway

Big Bertha OS Irons incorporate a revolutionary clubhead construction, called the Exo-Cage™, that promotes more distance in an entirely new way. How? The Exo-Cage’s extraordinary combination of strength and light weight allows Callaway engineers to distribute more discretionary weight into strategic locations to promote more forgiveness and to allow our next-generation 360 Face Cup™ technology to function more efficiently. The result is more ball speed across the face to give you more distance on every swing.

More Forgiveness and Ball Speed from New Exo-Cage Thechnology
Positions more weight in strategic locations to increase forgiveness and helps our next-generation 360 Face Cup function more efficiently

Even More Ball Speed From Next Gen 360 Face Cup
Elevates clubface COR closer to the USGA limit to produce even faster ball speeds

Higher Launch for Longer Carry from Tungsten-Loaded Standing Wave
Technology in the sole lowers the center of gravity to promote higher launch for longer carry and more ball speed low on the face

Progressive Center of Gravity for Increased Control
Moving the CG location progressively lower in each head promotes higher launch and long carry in long-irons and increased control in short-irons.

Women’s and Senior Models
Lighter in overall weight, with more loft to promote faster ball speeds and higher launch angle to make it easy to get the ball in the air.

Lofts:
i-KMVZCQV-XL.png

Shaft Options

i-3B4DHzD-XL.jpg

Price: $1099.99

In hand photos

i-6BGVk5C-XL.jpg

i-gW3W4Xn-XL.jpg

i-XrpnCWW-XL.jpg

i-PkZvWrV-XL.jpg

i-cbKFMkB-XL.jpg

i-Sw8CvQ2-XL.jpg

i-BNwkHVs-XL.jpg

i-JGZsT8F-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Those make the junk in the trunk look good. Nice aesthetic jump on the past iteration IMO.

• Staff
Those make the junk in the trunk look good. Nice aesthetic jump on the past iteration IMO.

I think so too. They don't seem as large as the last ones did. I'm really curious as to the sound. I've only hit the 7 iron while out in California, so hitting the lower lofted options will be interesting. They are getting in play this afternoon, I'm pretty excited about that.

Interested in these. The Exo-Cage design sounds sweet

Still on the fence with the looks of these. But the tech sounds great and they potentially could really help my game. Will have to make a point to try these next time I head down to the golf shop.

It will be interesting to see if they have been able to improve on a iron that I think is so much fun to use and makes the game so much easier.

Look good but feel is numb. No telling where you hit it on the face. Good distance and forgiveness.

....but they sound awful, frankly the worst sounding irons I have ever heard.

Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons - THP Review Thread

Look good but feel is numb. No telling where you hit it on the face. Good distance and forgiveness.

I didn't really struggle telling here I hit it, but understand that everybody is different. As to the sound, to me they sound like most hollow body irons. Metallic and higher pitched. Definitely more hybrid like

That sound is going to be a love hate I believe.

• Staff

In my round today I was thinking about the sound. I wasn't sure if it was because what I was coming from or not. These do sound more empty(if that makes sense). I need more time as today was just the first outing with them. I will say I thought they sounded better than what I remember the previous version.

Good thoughts! I'll check in to follow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think these would be a ton of fun in the long irons especially.

Agree with the folks saying these are an aesthetic improvement on last iterations.

Shot this, not as much for sound but for checking something for myself. Anyway. Here is a PW. 3 different balls. Chrome Soft.. 330RX and ProV1 X.

Is that a comparable price point to other options in that category?

Is that a comparable price point to other options in that category?

off the top of my head, I'd say they are at the higher end of the spectrum if you look at them as a more SGI club. I think the Gmax irons were up around 1k when they hit stores back in the day.

They look nice. Could possibly be in my bag in two or three years. Look forward to hearing more.

These are in my bag. Had my first round with these today. As a previous owner of the 2014/15 Big Bertha irons, I do like how these feel, perform and sound. I won't go into any details, as I will leave that for the reviewer.

These are in my bag. Had my first round with these today. As a previous owner of the 2014/15 Big Bertha irons, I do like how these feel, perform and sound. I won't go into any details, as I will leave that for the reviewer.

nonsense. I know I'd love to hear your thoughts on them, as will everyone else. Esp since you were an owner of the previous line.

Like ddec said spill the deets. Would love to hear your thoughts. As long as they don't make me want to upgrade to the newer model. :alien:

Let's hear more!!!

Yes, we need your input ... please.

Mike
MPM1960

A full 18 is scheduled for these tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing how they perform. Could be some wet conditions so I'm particularly interested in seeing how these soles react. I know the other day I was able to take some good sized divots with them.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

As you saw last week, I can use a little help with my iron game.

As you saw last week, I can use a little help with my iron game.

Not more than me

A full 18 is scheduled for these tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing how they perform. Could be some wet conditions so I'm particularly interested in seeing how these soles react. I know the other day I was able to take some good sized divots with them.

You took some nice divots in the little video you shot. Look forward to hearing more of your thoughts after tomorrow's round. These have my interest after not faring so well with the Steelheads during my fitting last week. The fitter didn't have the BB head yet, unfortunately. But, I need to try these as soon as I can find them locally.

Back