Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TM Superfast vs 09 Burner

Handicap
    Unofficial
    Thanks

TM Superfast vs 09 Burner

Hey guys and gals, nice forum you have here! Here's my first post.

I currently have the '09 Burner which I really like. Love the driver, the thing I'm figuring out is that the shaft is possibly more important, at least as equally important, as the head.

I've read reviews and in conclusion it seems as though my '09 Burner is said to be a low spin driver - which is exactly what I need since I swing pretty fast, hit the ball high, and my two biggest problems are of course the slice and secondly ballooning the ball - skyballs really reduce distance don't they?

With that being said, I really like the looks of the new burner superfast. At address it looks great. However, the reviews and specs I'm reading say it's a high launch, high spin driver. Wouldn't that combo be terrible for me?

I don't really like the super long, lightweight shafts which is why I've already reshafted my '09 once. I also read the '09 combined the technologies of the '07 burner and the tour burner.

In summary, sounds to me like regardless of how great I think the superfast looks, a high spin, high launch head wouldn't be good for me - especially if it's true the '09 is a low spin head.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'm trying to find THAT driver that I just love. I've asked questions similar to this in another forum, because I think your driver should be a weapon, not a liability. I think the '09 burner may be the head I need... but then here comes the superfast... the machspeed... the ft-iz... ahhhhh.

And to close my already lengthy, first post? Do you guys have THAT driver that it's hard to get you to replace, or do you drop the cash for a new one every year? Also, how particular are you about your clubs? For example, last year I placed my bag too close behind me and struck my driver on the downswing of an iron shot. It's fine, but a slight ding/scratch where the crown meets the bottom kind of bothers me... how silly would I be to buy a new, identical driver?

Handicap
    Unofficial
    Thanks
    P.s. My point to bringing up that fact that shafts make a huge difference was that if I think the '09 burner is the driver for me, perhaps this year I should focus on finding the right shaft, instead of a whole new driver...

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,284 Times in 12,093 Posts
    I think you are on a pretty good track. The Super Fast is both high launch and high spin.
    Driver: Big Bertha w/ Custom LZ HandMade
    Fairway Wood: Big Bertha 15*
    Hybrids: X2Hot 3 & 4

Irons:
    D200 w/ Program shafts
    Wedges: 588 RTX 2.0 50, 54 & 58
    Putter: Z3
    Balls: B330-RX

Banned
    Handicap
    Thanks
    loft plays an important role when it comes to spin as well as shaft selection.Lower lofts have less spin as do stiffer shafts.If I'm wrong in this I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Handicap
    Thanks
    First off welcome to THP! I would say stick with what you have and play with the shafts.
    It's not about the breath's you take but about the moments that take your breath away!

In the Grom Bag:
    Driver: FT-9
    Fairway Woods: Hyper SS 3 & 5
    Hybrid: 3DX 3/23*
    Irons: G2
    Wedges : Forged 50 54 58
    Putter: White Hot #5

Handicap
    Unofficial
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help guys. A lot of the information that made it sound like I know what I'm talking about was gathered from this website, so I figured if anyone could confirm I'm doing the right thing it'd be you guys.

I think I'm going to hang onto my '09 Burner unless something at this years demo days (Machspeed) just really blows me away.

Have you guys ever bought an identical club because of a scratch, ding, or dent? I'd be really silly for doing that right?

Handicap
    Thanks
    I agree with everyone else in that I would recommend staying with the Burner you have.

It really is a good, easy to hit straight club.

How many of us can rely on hitting our drivers well consistenty!

Fildini

Beginner
    Handicap
    10-30
    Thanks
    i guess im not sure of the science behind it but i would assume a dent would affect performance. i wouldnt replace for a scratch but a dent i would. currently playing a r7 425 that i really enjoy but wanna try a r9

Handicap
    DragRacing
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hesse View Post
    i guess im not sure of the science behind it but i would assume a dent would affect performance. i wouldnt replace for a scratch but a dent i would. currently playing a r7 425 that i really enjoy but wanna try a r9
    I guess it could depending on where and how bad it's dented. My TM R5 has a couple of dents in it (one out towards the toe and one on the sole), I haven't noticed any difference in the performance of it though.

Handicap
    Unofficial
    Thanks
    I thought about taking a picture, but if I do, you guys might make fun of me for even considering buying a new, identical club.

It's a tiny, tiny dent. One you almost have to rub your finger across to feel. But, you can see the scratch...

I guess I'll keep it.

Handicap
    DragRacing
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB256 View Post
    I thought about taking a picture, but if I do, you guys might make fun of me for even considering buying a new, identical club.

It's a tiny, tiny dent. One you almost have to rub your finger across to feel. But, you can see the scratch...

I guess I'll keep it.
    If the scratch is bothering you it could be touched up you won't notice it as much.

Edit:You might find some helpful info in this thread. Hope it helps.

Handicap
    Unofficial
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MO_Hacker View Post
    If the scratch is bothering you it could be touched up you won't notice it as much.

Edit:You might find some helpful info in this thread. Hope it helps.
    Thanks man! I think I'm gonna just let it go... it's not even as bad as the guy in that post. But that did help me get over it, especially the guy that said he thinks of scratches as stories. haha...

I just want the snow/cold to go away so we can all play some golf!

Handicap
    Thanks
    Ok, so I'm a late starter in the Golf world.The only one in the family who never took it up early but I can hit the ball pretty good and can play to a 36 quite consistently. Currently I have a Callaway Big Bertha Warlord driver and am looking to upgrade.

The local Pro Suggested second hand and suggested the TM Burner.
    Which one though? The Burner or Superfast Burner?
    I've still got a bit of a slice in my swing but it's slowly getting better.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Both drivers sell for similar money here in NZ.

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,284 Times in 12,093 Posts
    Both are quality pieces of equipment. I preferred the Burner to the SuperFast (it is a year older I believe), but both are good quality drivers. Go with the one that looks the best to your eye as you are starting out and stick with it as you hone your swing.

Welcome to THP.
    Driver: Big Bertha w/ Custom LZ HandMade
    Fairway Wood: Big Bertha 15*
    Hybrids: X2Hot 3 & 4

Irons:
    D200 w/ Program shafts
    Wedges: 588 RTX 2.0 50, 54 & 58
    Putter: Z3
    Balls: B330-RX

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,557 Times in 5,514 Posts