Shot shapping helps improve your odds hitting into a green. What I do (and a big reason I hit many greens) is I aim at the middle of the green on my approaches. If the pin is on the left I try to hit a little draw (on the right a little fade). More importantly if it goes straight I am fine if it draws/fades it is great. It just gives you much more room to make a mistake and still hit a green. I don't work the ball as much off of the tee unless the shot is called for.

Well, yeah, that makes sense. I just laugh when people play these big draws/fades into a green when the pin is right smack in the middle. Either way though, I think anyone with over a 6.5 handicap would be better off playing a straight ball.

Ya know, I've been around the game for 20+ years and have seen, caddied for and played with some of the top amateurs and also club pros in our area. I hear guys talk on these forums about how they shape shots left and right on demand and I say BS!!! I have very seldom, VERY SELDOM seen any of them who try to work the ball much unless the shot is absolutely called for. Like someone earlier said to work around an obstacle or to get out of trouble and I'm the same way. Most have a hard enough time keeping a straight shot online let alone manipulate the flight. If it was that easy we'd all be scratch or better. Just my $.02 :cool:

Let the beat down begin!

Last edited:
Ya know, I've been around the game for 20+ years and have seen, caddied for and played with some of the top amateurs and also club pros in our area. I hear guys talk on these forums about how they shape shots left and right on demand and I say BS!!! I have very seldom, VERY SELDOM seen any of them who try to work the ball much unless the shot is absolutely called for. Like someone earlier said to work around an obstacle or to get out of trouble and I'm they same way. Most have a hard enough time keeping a straight shot online let alone manipulate the flight. If it was that easy we'd all be scratch or better. Just my $.02 :cool:

Let the beat down begin!

No beat down here. I completely agree LB. It's a forum where nobody knows anyone, remember that.

For example: For people who watch golf on NBC. When they show the shot tracer do you constantly see a draw or a fade on a dead straight shot? Usually the ball with have a bit of a curve on the line but that is natural because it is displaying the ball dropping. Very little do you see them shape everything.

No beat down here. I completely agree LB. It's a forum where nobody knows anyone, remember that.

For example: For people who watch golf on NBC. When they show the shot tracer do you constantly see a draw or a fade on a dead straight shot? Usually the ball with have a bit of a curve on the line but that is natural because it is displaying the ball dropping. Very little do you see them shape everything.

Like Kenny Perry for example, EVERYTHING was a draw, regardless. Obviously his natural shot.

Exactly, you don't see any pro going against their natural ball flight when they don't need to.

like i said......my natural shot is a slight fade. and like i said.....if i consciously try and hit the shot...it almost never works...and lb anytime you wanna hook up....i would be more than willing to get together and play...that goes for anyone on this here board....i got a brother that lives in tampa and when i go down to visit...i was hoping/expecting to put some faces to the names on here........sorry Dent your just too far away.....

like i said......my natural shot is a slight fade. and like i said.....if i consciously try and hit the shot...it almost never works...and lb anytime you wanna hook up....i would be more than willing to get together and play...that goes for anyone on this here board....i got a brother that lives in tampa and when i go down to visit...i was hoping/expecting to put some faces to the names on here........sorry Dent your just too far away.....

Dent's not far! Nothing a LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG car ride can't fix! LOL

I have a tendency to put a draw on my irons. I'd rather hit them straight though.

My natural ball flight is a draw, but I love to play a fade on my shots. It sits softer and is far easier to control than a draw.

My natural ball flight is a draw, but I love to play a fade on my shots. It sits softer and is far easier to control than a draw.

Agreed. Most of the time my natural shot is a draw, but on the days where it's a fade...I'm loving it.

Exactly! Natural shot shape, we are of the same opinion.

Shot shapping helps improve your odds hitting into a green. What I do (and a big reason I hit many greens) is I aim at the middle of the green on my approaches. If the pin is on the left I try to hit a little draw (on the right a little fade). More importantly if it goes straight I am fine if it draws/fades it is great. It just gives you much more room to make a mistake and still hit a green. I don't work the ball as much off of the tee unless the shot is called for.

That is what I am talking about. Unless it is needed to get around something.

That is actually a great tip Andy! It is a no brainer for you because you won't have trouble shaping. I guess I was generally speaking for the people who have trouble shaping the ball, and have 50% chance of error.

I dont have troubles shaping the ball.

Well, yeah, that makes sense. I just laugh when people play these big draws/fades into a green when the pin is right smack in the middle. Either way though, I think anyone with over a 6.5 handicap would be better off playing a straight ball.

I am under a 6.5 handicap.

Ya know, I've been around the game for 20+ years and have seen, caddied for and played with some of the top amateurs and also club pros in our area. I hear guys talk on these forums about how they shape shots left and right on demand and I say BS!!! I have very seldom, VERY SELDOM seen any of them who try to work the ball much unless the shot is absolutely called for. Like someone earlier said to work around an obstacle or to get out of trouble and I'm the same way. Most have a hard enough time keeping a straight shot online let alone manipulate the flight. If it was that easy we'd all be scratch or better. Just my $.02 :cool:

Let the beat down begin!

Alright.

Exactly! Natural shot shape, we are of the same opinion.

That is what I normally Try to play.

Alright.

I wasn't referring to you in my "6.5 handicap" statement. I know how to read.

I can't draw. I have a natural fade so I play to it. If I try to draw the ball it becomes a hook.

one pro that shapes for the sake of it...phil mickelson....
....draw, fade....off the tee. Into the geen. He does it because he can!! lol

completely pointless half the time, nice to watch though!!

Me. I tend to try to do fancy things. Particularly when summit is in the way. Gotta say though. Most of my effort is still getting the ball to go in the correct direction. All the draws and fades in the world are useless if they are only heading towards the treeline.

Would love to have the striking consistency to do it well though.

one pro that shapes for the sake of it...phil mickelson....

All the announcers talk about Bubba Watson as someone who shapes every single shot. But until he wins something, I don't care.

Let the beat down begin!

Not Beating you down LBlack I agree with you, shape a shot?? not with a disabilty let me tell you.. trying to consistently play Bogey golf at least for me that is more realistic.

That is not what you said, you implied in your original post that you shape the ball no matter what.

That's great for you, but I don't see anything backing it up.

Again great, if you can shape the ball either way with 0% error, you should be on the PGA tour.

Again you didn't state that in your original post.

That is not what you said, you implied in your original post that you shape the ball no matter what.

That's great for you, but I don't see anything backing it up.

Again great, if you can shape the ball either way with 0% error, you should be on the PGA tour.

Again you didn't state that in your original post.

I said I do once ever 1 or 2 holes! How am I suppose to back it up. We are on a forum you trust what other people say and give them your opion. Never said anything about shaping shots perfect every time or 0% error.

TrunknGolf, maybe it was just misunderstood, that happens a lot on the net, but when you say "I have no troubles shaping the ball", some could say it implies that you can do it on command and that others should be doing it as well.

Last edited:
Back