2010 Accenture Match Play [spoilers]

I'm really liking this Ishikawa kid.

I think he definitely has the potential to be another Tiger. He has the swing, the game and above all the confidence.

-JP

I'm really liking this Ishikawa kid.

I think he definitely has the potential to be another Tiger. He has the swing, the game and above all the confidence.

-JP

Did you see that fairway bunker shot on 17 I think? That was money.

Did you see that fairway bunker shot on 17 I think? That was money.

Yes! And the closing putt wasn't too shabby either.

He's even learned to speak English much better than the last interview I watched (which required an interpreter).

I think the kid has everything needed to really be the next Tiger. He's only 18 so he has a few more years to fine tune his game before he he takes a serious run at things, but the way he's playing now, I wouldn't be at all surprised if ran the table this week.

Plus ya' gotta love that driver headcover! :thumb:

-JP

He's very popular in Japan so he's got the global thing going. He's one of my darkhorse picks for the year. No majors but a couple of tourneys.

Now if he can just work on that tan of his.

Any chance we get day-to-day results? I went 21-11, but lost Stenson and Fisher, my finalist picks.

I went 18-14, but I lost my overall winner, Stricker.

21-11, but I lost 3 of my final 4, so I'm doomed.

My upset picks of Brian Gay and Adam Scott (and to a lesser extent, Matt Kuchar) came through.

But favorites Stricker, Quiros, Harrington, Fisher, Stenson (in a concession due to illness), Jimenez and Glover all lost.

For underdogs:
My "sentimental" pick, Justin Leonard, lost in extra holes. Glad it was Poults who made it through though.
My "anti-Sergio Garcia" pick, David Toms, lost.
My "Lee Westwood is overrated and annoys me for some reason" pick, Chris Wood, lost.
My "he's on a roll" pick, Dustin Johnson lost.
My "I want to cut off his ponytail" pick, Angel Jimenez, lost.

We had 5 entries in our WGC Accenture Bracket Buster Pool- none of us are real far ahead and some of us are really bummin with losing a lot of our final four.

Slammin' Sam 21 pts after round 1; not bad Sam- however with only 2 of your final four and both your final 2 out you might run into struggles coming up. Don't worry- you're not the lone ranger.

Tcalloway1 18 points after 1; 3 of your final 4 left and both your final 2 still alive- you should feel pretty good despite pulling up the rear after 1 round.

Interlooper 18 points; 2 final four guys left but only 1 of your final 2 and with Stricker winning it all you'll find points hard to come by later down the road.

Harry Longshanks 21 pts; only 1 of your final four left and zero of your final two. Like a few of us Harry got blinded by Dustin Johnson's great start to 2010 and expected him to go further. Stricker's stink bomb didn't help either.

Puttin4Bird 21 pts; 2 of my final four left and had G-Lover winning it all. So I'm in big trouble late as well. I'm the only one with Paul Casey in the finals so maybe if he can somehow keep winning I'll steal some points but it's not looking good.

I have to say that Calloway is so far the guy with the best looking sheet even though he's tied for DFL after 1.

I'll keep updates coming after each round!!!

But favorites Stricker, Quiros, Harrington, Fisher, Stenson (in a concession due to illness), Jimenez and Glover all lost.

Quiros didn't lose Harry- he was brutally beaten about the head and shoulders with a golf club held by Mike Weir. WOW!

One of the shortest hitters in the field just dominates perhaps the biggest bomber in the mix- crazy isn't it?!

Thanks for the update, Puttin4Bird!

No problemo boys- I just wish we had more participants, but that's ok I guess.

So far it seems that Weir is finding Paul Casey a little tougher than was Alvaros Quiro yesterday. He's 4 down after 9. Nothing else real surprising in the early going, that Goosen vs. Els match would be fun to watch!

Rules question. What rule covers what Mike Weir options were after taking an unplayable lie? (ball in cactus) I understand he can go backwards as far as he wants to drop. What I am wondering about is what rule covers moving debris out of the drop area, prior to dropping the ball? I know he did not do anything wrong since their was a rules official standing there. Just curios.

Rory McIlroy went down to Oliver Wilson today. That's a pretty significant win for Wilson I think. He'll be playing Luke Donald who just dusted Robert Allenby today. Should be a good match though.

In what is assured to be the best dressed match up of round 3 we'll have Brian Gay vs. Paul Casey. Sure Casey is an all Nike guy but he looks good in my opinion, and we know Brian Gay will be rocking some great gear from Sligo! Big win for Brian in round 2, it's not going to get easy on him though, Casey is a bulldog in match play.

Ian Poulter won on the other side of the bracket, keeping alive the possible Brian Gay vs. Ian Poulter showdown in the finals- I'm not sure if even HDTV would do that match justice, the threads would be amazing!

Hats off to Camilo for ousting the defending champ! :banana:

Hats off to Camilo for ousting the defending champ! :banana:

Hats off to Camilo just on general principle!

camilo_villegas_of_colombia_celebrates_after_winni_9741257424.jpg

I'd have liked to have gotten into it, just was not paying attention and didn't want to try after play started. If any concilation, I would have bombed at this point.

Wow guys, we stink at brackets!!! Of the 5 brackets turned in we have 1 of our collection of final four remaining and that is Paul Casey on Puttin4Bird's sheet. Pathetic!!

Slammin Sammy with 12 in Rnd 2 takes a demanding lead with 33-however all 4 of final 4 are gone.
Harry Longshanks comes in tied for 2nd with 29-0 final 4 guys left.
Puttin4Bird is tied with Harry with 29- 1 final 4 left
Interlooper has 26- 0 final 4 left
Tcalloway pulling up the rear with 24- 0 final four left

Next round wins are worth 3 pts.

Yikes. Hopefully my bad-bracket-disease clears up before March Madness. Thanks for the update, Puttin4Bird. Good luck to you fellas who still have a fighting chance.

Luke Donald just drilled a 50-footer to extend his match to extra holes. :clapp:

I wish I had seen this thread and filled out a bracket earlier. I'm always pulling for Villegas, Poulter, and Luke Donald.

Back