Snow Has Melted, Course is Open

smithic2034

Reaction score
Handicap
So excited, got an email that a local course near me is open this weekend (Washington DC area). The snow is gone! Can't wait to finally play golf in 2010.

So excited, got an email that a local course near me is open this weekend (Washington DC area). The snow is gone! Can't wait to finally play golf in 2010.

I'm jealous.

Not to rant or anything but I got a kick out of the super big deal they were making about all that snow in the Washington D.C. area. We see snow like that every year in Minnesota and the upper midwest, but the difference is, it doesn't melt away within a couple of weeks. No, our snow stays around until early April.

Not a rant at all. People go crazy when it snows around DC. I am originally from PA so it really doesn't bother me. I have just gotten used to playing year round and haven't played not in two months. Hope your snow melts early this year!

You and about 15 million other people! :D

Not a rant at all. People go crazy when it snows around DC. I am originally from PA so it really doesn't bother me. I have just gotten used to playing year round and haven't played not in two months. Hope your snow melts early this year!

It seems that if the D.C. area or the Boston/New York areas have any kind of weather, it's almost national news. Holy smokes, six inches of snow is predicted for Washington! Boston might get up to four! Alert the presses! And then sure enough, a weather channel correspondent will be on scene covering the "big" snow.

And here in Minnesota and the frozen lands of the Dakotas we roll our eyes and shake our heads a little bit.

I'm jealous.

Not to rant or anything but I got a kick out of the super big deal they were making about all that snow in the Washington D.C. area. We see snow like that every year in Minnesota and the upper midwest, but the difference is, it doesn't melt away within a couple of weeks. No, our snow stays around until early April.
Another difference is that in D.C. they arent equipped to handle the snow. They dont have snowplows, people who know how to plow snow and people dont all drive trucks and SUVs and know how to drive in the snow.
They just arent used to dealing with snow like we are.
It would be much the same if it were 100* in Minnesota in the middle of summer and you guys would all be whining about how hot it is, meanwhile the people in D.C. would be shaking their heads and rolling their eyes at you saying, "100* isnt that hot...".

Another difference is that in D.C. they arent equipped to handle the snow. They dont have snowplows, people who know how to plow snow and people dont all drive trucks and SUVs and know how to drive in the snow.
They just arent used to dealing with snow like we are.
It would be much the same if it were 100* in Minnesota in the middle of summer and you guys would all be whining about how hot it is, meanwhile the people in D.C. would be shaking their heads and rolling their eyes at you saying, "100* isnt that hot...".

I will disagree w/ this. Sure they're equipped. There aren't a bunch of pick ups running around w/ a blade on the front of them like in the upper midwest, but the state and cities are prepared for snow. How do you think the streets got clear? You think they called up New York and asked them to send a bunch of trucks down to plow their snow? I will agree that the people don't see or aren't used to a lot of snow, but its not like it takes a rocket scientist to deal w/ it. Especially if its only six inches or so of the stuff.

It's not big news when the upper midwest gets to 100*. Sure, thats hot for this part, but we get that weather every July and August. You can make a case that the hot weather in the upper midwest is worse than the heat in other "hotter" areas of the U.S. because the heat up here is so humid, and "sticky", which makes it that much more uncomfortable. Plus, I don't remember the "hot" weather of the upper midwest being national news. Ever.

I think I should move.

Excited for you :) Get out there and play some golf :clapp:

The snow is still melting here in the afternoons, but with today's high of 30. I think I'm going to wait until it warms up this spring.

Back