Sybase Classic (with spoilers)

Ok, now watching Saturday's broadcast, anyone see Becky Lucidi go down? I had posted an article about her and her heart condition in the GFW section. She thought all of that was behind her, unfortunately after yesterday I guess it isn't it. Hope they are able to work that out, would love to see her winning. With her personality she could be great for the tour.

Ok, now watching Saturday's broadcast, anyone see Becky Lucidi go down? I had posted an article about her and her heart condition in the GFW section. She thought all of that was behind her, unfortunately after yesterday I guess it isn't it. Hope they are able to work that out, would love to see her winning. With her personality she could be great for the tour.

I must have missed that. What time in the broadcast did it happen?

I saw when Judy Rankin was talking about her and she was sitting down. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention?

P.S. Your Sox got the best of my Mariners last night! :at-wits-end:
Series tied 1-1.

I was just listening to the commentary around Morgan breaking her driver. Judy Rankin didn't try to defend Morgan. She just pointed out that it wasn't as if Morgan took her driver and broke the shaft over her knee. That she had hit her bag out of frustrating and unfortunately the shaft broke. We see golfers do that all the time without breaking the club. Little bad luck, but shouldn't have happened anyway. I think this is more out of frustration for her entire season so far. Only one top ten, what is going on? Hope she gets back on track.

As far as golfers showing their frustration, whether Tiger or Paula or Morgan, it just doesn't really bother me. I don't like when they do things like spit in the cup (Sergio), but a little hitting the ground or bag with their club...I really don't mind. I like that it shows their passion. We have all done it!

I agree Soxy. I don't think Rankin was defending Pressel. She was just explaining that it wasn't an intentional breaking of the driver.

As for not criticizing, I remember her talking about Cristie Kerr's putting. She said something like "She pushed that badly. That was not a very good stroke." She also made a comment about Helen Alfredson's game when she started slipping down the leaderboard. Something like "If you watch, that is what happens when Helen isn't playing well. She starts getting quick." (and then some other stuff I can't remember.) Rankin is just very subtle and polite with her criticism, but she does point out problems.

EDIT: Ji Young Oh is starting to pull away. Lincicome, Pettersen, Wie, and Creamer all all over par today, while Oh is 2-under.

82862.jpg

As for not criticizing, I remember her talking about Cristie Kerr's putting. She said something like "She pushed that badly. That was not a very good stroke." She also made a comment about Helen Alfredson's game when she started slipping down the leaderboard. Something like "If you watch, that is what happens when Helen isn't playing well. She starts getting quick." (and then some other stuff I can't remember.) Rankin is just very subtle and polite with her criticism, but she does point out problems.

I agree with you Harry. I actually like the way that she will "criticize" players because she will point out what in their swing is going wrong. It isn't just a "they are playing like crap today."

Of course, like you, I :love: Judy!

Michelle Wie's post round interview wasn't so great today. Back to the "ummms" and "ya' knows." She also sounded like she was about to cry.

The Sybase today was chilly, windy, and overcast. Boo and I had a great time anyway. Just as we arrived, Lorena Ochoa teed off at the tenth hole, so we got to watch that. We waited for Paula on the ninth green and got to watch a lot of groups come in first. If we craned our necks, we could also see the second green, with some of the players who began on the 10th tee. While we waited, Boo pointed out all the headcovers. It was fun trying to figure out who was on the fairway without looking at the pairings. I think I did pretty well. Does Jiyai Shin always wear yellow on Sunday, or do I just notice it when she does?

After all this time, I have a pretty good sense of the course and where to stand. So we were in close physical proximity to Paula fairly often, and she was well-behaved. With Paula and Michelle Wie in the same group, it was quite a gallery. We saw Ricey briefly; she was marshalling on the way to the 12th hole and having fun. That hole remains deadly--Michelle put her ball in the water and ended with a double bogey.

Our big disappointment was being too far back in the crowd to get Paula's autograph when it was all over. Still, we both had a good time, Boo picked up a lot. She paid a lot of attention to the interaction between Paula and Colin. We talked about greens in regulation, uphill and downhill putts, and on and on. Overall, a huge success. Boo is already talking about going to her next tournament.

I take it that Boo was in your lap as you typed?

She's getting pretty big for that, but I did fail to include this part: :worship:

Boo did point out that PAULA was well behaved today and didn't yell at Colin once. She speculated that perhaps there had been a tantrum before the ninth hole.

Well, we have pretty clear proof that Ji Young Oh brings her lead shoulder back to her chin during her backswing. Third was a great result for Wie and Creamer, all things considered, as both really need some high finishes. Same for Gulbis.

Congrats to Boo for getting to attend. Sounds like she really enjoyed. Hope it has inspired her.

Just switched from the HD recording of ESPN2's coverage of the Sybase to my HD recording of CBS's coverage of the Valero. The image is so much better on CBS.

Just switched from the HD recording of ESPN2's coverage of the Sybase to my HD recording of CBS's coverage of the Valero. The image is so much better on CBS.

ESPN doesn't use HD cameras for the LPGA coverage. They just broadcast SD cameras on an HD signal. (Or whatever the technically correct way of saying that is.) Hell, they don't even bother to use a widescreen shot.

bumholes.

Claire,

Just remember to tell them to leave my course in good shape.

Thanks for giving up your course to this! I love this tourney.

Are all the committee chairs club members? The guys who ran the walking scorers (Ray and Dave) were great. Totally organized, great communication, really knew their stuff.

I really enjoyed this tourney and the course looks like it would be fun to play.

Claire,

When I "retired" from volunteer duty (after 10 years of chairing carts/caddies - Cadillac/NFL Seniors), most of the chairs/co-chairs were members. There were a few c0-chairs that were not members, but these were volunteers that had been working since day one of the first tournament. As I remember, most of these committees were behind the scenes.

After talking to a few of the peeps that I know, it looks like the LPGA/Sybase is looking for another 3 year contract. We usually give 3 years with opt-out clauses after the first year. Course was in excellent shape the weekend before the tournament. I will play tomorrow, Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon.

They used to have a volunteer day for golf, where are volunteers came out and played the course. They still offer that to you?

You guys did a great job.

Claire,

When I "retired" from volunteer duty (after 10 years of chairing carts/caddies - Cadillac/NFL Seniors), most of the chairs/co-chairs were members. There were a few c0-chairs that were not members, but these were volunteers that had been working since day one of the first tournament. As I remember, most of these committees were behind the scenes.

After talking to a few of the peeps that I know, it looks like the LPGA/Sybase is looking for another 3 year contract. We usually give 3 years with opt-out clauses after the first year. Course was in excellent shape the weekend before the tournament. I will play tomorrow, Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon.

They used to have a volunteer day for golf, where are volunteers came out and played the course. They still offer that to you?

You guys did a great job.

Great news that the tourney will stay there! I love how easy it is to move from hole to hole, and see a lot of different action as a spectator. For instance, standing right between what were designated as the 2nd and 9th holes was great fun--never had to wait for a group to come through.

This is probably minor in the scheme of things, but it seemed like there was almost no litter.

No volunteer golf day. :sad: Just a party at a time/place I couldn't attend. Catered by Shoprite, so there wasn't much to miss. I'm looking forward to next year!

Back