JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

Henrik Stenson’s victory at the 2009 PLAYERS Championship not only marked the first official PGA TOUR victory for Srixon’s new Z-STAR balls, but five of the top-10 finishers at the event also played Z-STAR balls. The list of players finishing in the top-ten included Stenson, Brian Davis, Jim Furyk, Tim Clark and Vijay Singh. Stenson began Sunday’s round 5 shots out of the lead, but his final, bogey-free round of 6-under 66 earned him a four-shot victory at the event. The win was the biggest of Stenson’s career, which now consists of ten titles world-wide, including two victories on the PGA TOUR. The victory earned Stenson $1,710,000 and moved Srixon’s leading staff player up to the number 5 position in the world rankings.

Is the Z-Star just a slightly cheaper version of the Prov...or is there really something different.... Cant argue with results, but I am just wondering if it is a Prov under a different monicker.....

Now the B330RX...that touts a big difference from other balls out there....

• Admin
Cheaper version of the Prov1? Different companies and manufacturing plants. Different patents and totally different balls.

It's not a cheaper Pro-v1 in disguise, but Srixon would love to be able to claim it is!

It's great to hear the Z-Star is doing so well, I'm playing it right now, and love it.

Its nice to see the Z-Star live up to the hype.

Srixon has more golf ball patents than any other company in the world, including titleist. They have technology the others have not even thought about. Don't think they are new to the game. Titleist pays a lot of money to get the play they get here, just like taylormade.

Yup, Srixon has been around for quite a while.
Heres some info about Srixon that you all might find interesting:
http://www.srixon.com/about.html
Who is Srixon?

A brand trusted by more than 70 professional golfers worldwide, including Vijay Singh, Jim Furyk, Boo Weekley, Tim Clark, Robert Allenby, Steve Flesch, John Rollins, Fuzzy Zoeller and Karrie Webb.
A worldwide brand of Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd. (SRI), a golf equipment company with a 70-year winning tradition.
A brand trusted by more than 70 professional golfers worldwide, including Jim Furyk, Tim Clark, Robert Allenby, Steve Flesch, John Rollins, Fuzzy Zoeller and Karrie Webb.
One the fastest growing golf ball and golf club brands in the United States.

Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd. (SRI):

A leading Japanese manufacturer of tires, sporting goods and industrial products
A company with 70 years experience in golf ball manufacturing
A brand owner of Dunlop/Maxfli in Japan, Korea and Taiwan for the Sporting Goods market
One of the largest producers of golf balls in the world
One of the leading producers of drivers, fairways and irons in Asia
A pioneer and patent holder of the technology that forms the foundation for today’s modern high COR drivers
SRI-made balls have won over 75 PGA Tour Titles since 1989, including 7 majors
A company dedicated to the endless search to bring the most modern technology to golfers of all abilities around the world
1909 - Dunlop U.K. established Japan’s first modern rubber factory.
1913 - Produced Japan’s first automobile tires.
1917 - Incorporated as a Japanese company with ¥1.18million capital.
1930 - Produced Japan’s first golf and tennis balls.
1967 - Changed name to Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd.
1968 - Began golf club manufacturing.
1983 - Gained complete independence of management through acquisition of Dunlop U.K.’s equity in company.
1984 - Acquired and assumed operation of former Dunlop Holding.
1986 - Acquired majority equity interest in Dunlop Tire Corporation in U.S.A.
1997 - Established SRIXON USA.
1999 - Formed alliance with The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company in U.S.A.
2004 - Established SRI Sports Ltd. and SRI Hybrid Ltd.
2006 - Become a public company.
December 2007 - SRI Sports acquires Cleveland Golf and Never Compromise.
What Does Srixon Mean?

Our name comes from three sources:

SRI Sumitomo Rubber Industries
X Unlimited, Dreams for the Future
ON Going onwards

It's better than the PROV1 for my game.

Not to mention less expensive. $40 for a dozen Z-Stars really isnt that bad considering what Pro V1s cost.

ok...so I may not have done my homework on the best ball for me...
I currently play a PROV1X just because it gets the job done..(mind you I usually play 1 yr old balls from LGB)

Now I am reading all the reviews (and characteristics) of the Z-Star...Looks to be a great balls....

I know you will all say I need to just go out and try it, but I wanted to know if the only variable I gave you was my Driver SS (92mph), would you suggest gravitating away from balls like the PROV1X/B330-S/Z-Star X, etc????

thx
bama

I currently play a PROV1X just because it gets the job done..(mind you I usually play 1 yr old balls from LGB)

Now I am reading all the reviews (and characteristics) of the Z-Star...Looks to be a great balls....

I know you will all say I need to just go out and try it, but I wanted to know if the only variable I gave you was my Driver SS (92mph), would you suggest gravitating away from balls like the PROV1X/B330-S/Z-Star X, etc????

thx
bama

Hard to say only from the driver stats. However, you seem to be playng the "spinnier" balls compared to 2-piece rocks. So i am guessing that getting the ball to check is important to you.

I have only heard good things about the B330-rx.....designed for swingspeeds like yours to get maximum driver distance whilst not really compromising on spin and feel around the green.

With that swing speed I would recommend golf balls that are less geared towards face compression. Z-Star or B330RX.

thx
bama
I think youd be happy with the Bridgestone B330RX. Its got all the spin of any premium ball, but its designed for slower swingspeeds so its easier to compress.
Ive been happy with the Z-Star. Im definetly not the longest hitter there is and I was a little concerned that Id give up some distance, but I hit the Z-Star pretty much as far as I did the 2-piece balls I used to play but the Z-Star checks up a lot better on the greens.

I think youd be happy with the Bridgestone B330RX. Its got all the spin of any premium ball, but its designed for slower swingspeeds so its easier to compress.
Ive been happy with the Z-Star. Im definetly not the longest hitter there is and I was a little concerned that Id give up some distance, but I hit the Z-Star pretty much as far as I did the 2-piece balls I used to play but the Z-Star checks up a lot better on the greens.

I went to my local PRO shop on post to pick up a sleeve of both teh 330RX and the Z-Star. Tuens out I got the last Z-Star sleeve and there were no more RX's left. I took the ZStars out to chip around for 20 minutes and was impressed.... I really like the soft feel..
I plan on playing these this Sunday at the "Schoolmaster" RTJ course....

Hopefully they will do well....

I have been playing the ProV1 and ProV1X for about a year now as I am still not sure which ball I like better...I seem to get a bit more distance from the "X" with the driver (SS 105-110) but I do love the softness of the ProV1 around the greens and for putting. BUT on a wim I decided to try the Srixon Z Star. I bought two sleeves to start out. I first spent a day chipping and putting with them (as short game is the most important aspect of your game) and felt right off the bat that they perfrom as well as the ProV1. I then played 9 holes last night with a couple of buddies and I really like this ball. It felt very solid off every club and performed very well around the greens as I only had 15 putts for 9 holes. The spin off the driver was excellent but on iron approach shots it acted a lot like a ProV1. I did the math and for the price difference you can get 7 dozen Srixon's for every 6 dozen Prov1's (give or take a ball)...I think I will find this ball in my bag very soon. Next I want to try the StarX...:cool:

cannot go wrong

cannot go wrong

You cannot go wrong with the Z Star or the 330rx. They are both great balls and for the average player they will give you the performance that you want around the green and with the putter!

Back