Stick with one instructor or can you use multiple?

JiveTalkinRobot

Reaction score
Handicap
Long story short - I started about a three weeks ago and have had two lessons with one instructor who has been building my swing. I think he's been great, but he's a bit far away (1 hour drive). There's some local guys who are PGA certified pros or whatnot. I was thinking of going to them here and there as well for instruction. Do they all have different theories and will it be detrimental to get different viewpoints?

FYI - here's two videos of my current swing:

I don't know that I'd switch around all that often, but it sounds like you just got started. Might be a good time to move on to somebody closer now.

If you're just getting into it, and it's going to be a regular thing, changing isn't a big deal (though your new guy might make your old lessons a waste of money if different philosophies). If it's only going to be a rare lesson, might as well stay put if you like him and trust him.

I think finding the right instructor is most important. If you get along with him/her, they communicate in a way you can understand and what they say makes sense for you and your natural swing, I'd stick to that one. Good luck, swings looking good.

Your swing looks pretty nice. I don't think you'll get any problems if you switch your pro now. but i would stick with one pro for the future.

I don't think it is terrible to switch instructors mid-stream. On the other hand I would never go to two different instructors concurrently for my swing.

Just me but I would stick with one and put goals in place in order to make sure you are progressing. If those goals are getting hit then it's working. If not, then maybe time to look somewhere else. That's my short and sweet answer.

Just noticed again when reading you said distance is a factor in your decision. You need to do what is easier for you to do in order to keep going in the right direction.

I have a golftec coach at my local Golfsmith which is about a 20 minute drive for me but I practice at a range that is close and they give lessons there too. I had taken about 5 lessons from my swing coach and was at the range one day when the local pro at the range just mentioned a couple things to me but I didn't like it. I think everybody has their way of teaching but too much change at 1 time in a golfswing makes it hard to get consistency. But if you're just getting started then I'd make the switch to somebody closer.

I don't know that I'd switch around all that often, but it sounds like you just got started. Might be a good time to move on to somebody closer now.
Agreed, I wouldn't recommend switching a lot, but if you have someone closer to move to and stick with it might not be a bad idea, especially since you aren't too far in.

I don't think its too much an issue if they have different theories and teaching abilities it's more the issue that they might get you to work on different areas which may become confusing.

Agreed, I wouldn't recommend switching a lot, but if you have someone closer to move to and stick with it might not be a bad idea, especially since you aren't too far in.

Does anyone have any recommendations in the Orange County area? Preferably near Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, Costa Mesa are?

From experiance switching could totally mess your swing for months, find an instructor you are happy with, that works well for you and you can trust.

I've stuck with the same instructor for nearly 10 years now and he has never steered me wrong. Then again you have to consider how often your gonna go to this guy or what it's gonna cost driving to and from him.

Thanks all for the advice - this is a tough decision for me, I think my instructor has helped me get a decent foundation faster than I would ever hoped. Most people can't believe I've been playing for less than a month. However, it's an hour drive. I believe I found someone in the area that is close with a good reputation, but he's more expensive.

Now would be the time to switch, rather than a year later when my form is ingrained.

I have switched before, sometimes it doesn't hurt to get a different perspective at least that is how I felt. I will go back to my golftec lessons once I find a job or win the lottery lol.

If it were me, I would just pick the pro that I felt more comfortable with & stick with them. If they have differing theories, you might end up confused & less likely to be able to self diagnose your problems while playing.
Just my 2 pennies.

I switch between a few and it has helped me, to take bits from each. Sometimes someone will give you a tip that really makes sense, or explain it in a way that really hits home.

I have kept seeing the same pro but I know a couple of single digit handicappers that have seen lots of pros, goes to one for three lessons and moves on. I think in any thing a fresh prospective can be a good thing but trying to keep to people with similar views on what a swing should be so it is just building and not starting over.

I'm going to go with my guy one more time to let him finish out the swing he started, then I'm going to head out to Monte Scheinblum, who's 20 mins away in a month or two, to check out.

Back