Cobra Golf Long Tom Driver Preview

This driver reminds me of the old Killer Bee drivers. I had one of those for about a year or so. I think I had the 48". It was so hard to control. I would get one good drive out of every 10 shots! I don't think I will be picking up the new Cobra driver out there.

Just watched the vid. Like the raw look...like a stealth bomber. It's been a while since I hit a Cobra driver...the older ones all had so much offset that they were just hook-city for me. This one looks nice at address, though. I bet it will be fun to hit.

People always say you can't control the long drivers. Why not just choke up on each drive a certain amount depending on how tight or wide the fairway is? They should put a special grip on it with a 47", 46", 45" ,44" and 43" marking on the grip. Six drivers in one. Of course, they should pay me a royalty for the idea.

Choke down on it far enough and we could have the first "belly driver."

Last edited by a moderator:
Im with you on this one. This is what Cobra does for innovation?

People always say you can't control the long drivers. Why not just choke up on each drive a certain amount depending on how tight or wide the fairway is? They should put a special grip on it with a 47", 46", 45" ,44" and 43" marking on the grip. Six drivers in one. Of course, they should pay me a royalty for the idea.

OEM....this post was right after yours and I thought it was SO appropriate to quote these together

Last edited by a moderator:
Intriguing.... but I can't say I'm a fan. My swing gets a little wild as it is right now with a 45' driver. 4 feet of driver just seems like too much.

I can't wait to see what JB thinks of this driver after hitting it some. The thing about the raw finish that intrigues me is that this is clearly a test sample with all the markings on the club head. It's something you almost never get to see and that makes it cool. The whole 48" shaft thing to me is more than a little rediculous but I'm sure there will be 500 people out there that buy these things in the name of curiosity.

I also liked the little bit there at the end where GG wasn't sure if she or the driver was taller!

OEM....this post was right after yours and I thought it was SO appropriate to quote these together

I saw that. Just choke down on your Long Tom. :alien:

Here's the round table discussion from Pobra/Cuma about the inception of the LONG TOM.

Guy 1: you know, Taylormade just sold their one millionth white metal wood.
Guy 2: well, we sold 300 white ZL drivers!
Guy 1: ouch!
Guy 2: I have an idea!
Guy 1: Really? What's that? B/c we haven't been able to get any ideas of what TM is doing next.
Guy 2: Let's just not paint a driver, let's make it stupid long, and come up with a catchy name!
Guy 1: wow! you just blew my mind. But what kind kind of name should we come up with Tom?
Guy 2: That's it! LONG TOM
Guy 1: now call Rusty in the wedge department and tell him about our idea!​

Here's the round table discussion from Pobra/Cuma about the inception of the LONG TOM.

Guy 1: Really? What's that? B/c we haven't been able to get any ideas of what TM is doing next.
Guy 2: Let's just not paint a driver, let's make it stupid long, and come up with a catchy name!
Guy 1: wow! you just blew my mind. But what kind kind of name should we come up with Tom?

bwahahahahaha

That is classic! Rep added!

I find Cobra Golf extremely innovative and I'm really glad they're going longer rather than just a little longer.

bwahhahaha :D

TC you rule, I wish you were testing this driver.

This is interesting. I'd give it a swing. Could be a good scramble driver.

Tap, tap, tap. Just tap it in Happy

That is a lot of shaft......:D

Hey JB, I read somewhere that the Long Tom has a smaller/shorter grip - is that true? Can we get a picture? Thanks!

Hey JB, I read somewhere that the Long Tom has a smaller/shorter grip - is that true? Can we get a picture? Thanks!

it does. I will get that for you tonight or in the am.

DSC6653-L.jpg

Thanks for the photo JB - I guess they don't want us choking down for more control, huh? :D

Interesting to say the least...

that grip looks almost 'smooth' with no perfereations or anything on it for added grip. Am I looking at that right?

that grip looks almost 'smooth' with no perfereations or anything on it for added grip. Am I looking at that right?

That is correct. Foam like

That's what I am seeing as well...almost like a the smooth grip on a baseball bat.

Back