2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gah I don't know any of these. I guess just tell me what I'm playing lol[/QUOTE]

I am going to take this approach!!! Just point me in the direction of the first tee and I will play with anyone, against anyone and just have a good time which this is all about.

I could let all this talk about the dreaded high handicapper causing all sorts of problems for the lower handicappers and be the reason that the team he is on loses a match or I can ignore it and plan on having alot of fun in July. I think I am going to go with option #2 on this one.

Of course I am down for the three other higher handicapers in this event to meet me at a local putt putt course and we can have our match there.

Dude you will be fine. Everyone always is. Handicaps get tossed out the window. People work so hard to improve for this that you don't even notice how much better you get.

Interesting conversation this a.m. As a spectator I really look forward to seeing the alternate shot format. Every one of the participants will be feeling the pressure but at the same time every participant will be feeling 100% involved in the outcome.

Love the discussion going on in here, I would like to see some sort of alternate shot format just to add to the Ryder Cup like atmosphere. I believe the staffers could handle one round of that format.

I love the spectators jumping in, keep it coming

I'm definitely curious to see what the format ends up being. I know I brought up alternate shot a few months ago and a bunch of guys didn't like that idea. I've always liked alternate shot, though I could see how the higher cap guys could feel like they were letting down the better guys in a match. This is a tough one to figure out for sure.

Interesting conversation this a.m. As a spectator I really look forward to seeing the alternate shot format. Every one of the participants will be feeling the pressure but at the same time every participant will be feeling 100% involved in the outcome.

Love the discussion going on in here, I would like to see some sort of alternate shot format just to add to the Ryder Cup like atmosphere. I believe the staffers could handle one round of that format.

Thanks for the input guys. Know it's appreciated.

The only semi negative thoughts I have about alt. shot is that it will be tougher to get into a groove as you are hitting half has many shots and putts.

Depending on the tee box, True Blue could be fairly forgiving for alternate shot. Lots of room to move around there on some holes.

I think Best Ball is more conducive to pressure if the match-ups are even. I felt a lot of pressure right out of the gate compared to the scramble. Hasn't really always been that way when it was high/low vs high/low.

Love the discussions!!! Add me to the list of alt shot is a tough format to crack. The biggest thing that I think most people are leaving out is that only one shot is played after the drive all the way in. I'm coming to play golf, and as much golf in this format as I can play. Now I'm hitting 2 shots less every hole. Very hard to get a groove going but again that is just me.

For me the scramble format is my least favorite format. It's not a true test of golf with preferred lies. It promotes swinging harder than one should. It takes me out of my game completely.

I have a feeling that plenty of shots wil be played if alt shot is the format

For me the scramble format is my least favorite format. It's not a true test of golf with preferred lies. It promotes swinging harder than one should. It takes me out of my game completely.

I have a feeling that plenty of shots wil be played if alt shot is the format

perfect! Scramble it is:alien:

I'm definitely curious to see what the format ends up being. I know I brought up alternate shot a few months ago and a bunch of guys didn't like that idea. I've always liked alternate shot, though I could see how the higher cap guys could feel like they were letting down the better guys in a match. This is a tough one to figure out for sure.

Or the opposite could be true as well. Higher expectations for lower handis. Heck last year SW won two holes in our second match while I was in my pocket to give us an early lead and build some momentum. Then I got my crap figured out.

It is a tough format, but it could even be done for just 9 holes of the match. Front 9 holes Mod Alt shot, back 9 scramble in one 18 hole match play match.

Dude you will be fine. Everyone always is. Handicaps get tossed out the window. People work so hard to improve for this that you don't even notice how much better you get.

Hey man, I am not worried about me... seems everyone else is though. Like I said just point me to my partner and my opponent and I will be ready to do the best I can, not b*tch too much, and have a great time.

Depending on the tee box, True Blue could be fairly forgiving for alternate shot. Lots of room to move around there on some holes.

I think Best Ball is more conducive to pressure if the match-ups are even. I felt a lot of pressure right out of the gate compared to the scramble. Hasn't really always been that way when it was high/low vs high/low.

I agree with this. I think that True Blue could set up well for a modified alt shot. This year I felt more pressure in the scramble then I did in the best ball. Year one it was the opposite.

I just dont think this is being thought out 100%. Sure, it will add to the competition. I am decent enough of a ball striker that I know I would be just fine with this format. But...how do you think these 18HDCPs are feeling right now? sure, they will put in hard work but at the end of the day they are doing everything that a 2 capper is doing on the forum as well as to prepare. But...it will be nothing but a let down to them. that is not fair to them.

I can speak authoritatively on this issue since I am an 18-capper at the moment.

I don't think I need to be protected from myself. I'm going to hit the best shots I can. If my partner doesn't like the fact I missed the green right instead of sticking it within 5 feet and that makes them angry, well, they're going to have to get over themselves. I'm not going to let my enjoyment be affected by their misplaced demands on my ability.

The smart team will be the team that plays to their strengths I think. If we're on a par 5 and we've got 230 to the flag, the 2 would be much smarter to encourage me to lay up to his preferred distance rather than saying "rip a 3-wood on there" and expecting it to happen and getting angry when we end up in the trees on the left. Sure, the other team may have their 2 hitting the second shot, and perhaps he puts it on. But then the 17 would be putting and unlikely to make the 20-footer for eagle, so if my 2 makes the great approach shot he's capable of making, we should have a short putt for birdie and halve the hole, or even win it if the other team makes a poor putt.

I can speak authoritatively on this issue since I am an 18-capper at the moment.

I don't think I need to be protected from myself. I'm going to hit the best shots I can. If my partner doesn't like the fact I missed the green right instead of sticking it within 5 feet and that makes them angry, well, they're going to have to get over themselves. I'm not going to let my enjoyment be affected by their misplaced demands on my ability.

The smart team will be the team that plays to their strengths I think. If we're on a par 5 and we've got 230 to the flag, the 2 would be much smarter to encourage me to lay up to his preferred distance rather than saying "rip a 3-wood on there" and expecting it to happen and getting angry when we end up in the trees on the left. Sure, the other team may have their 2 hitting the second shot, and perhaps he puts it on. But then the 17 would be putting and unlikely to make the 20-footer for eagle, so if my 2 makes the great approach shot he's capable of making, we should have a short putt for birdie and halve the hole, or even win it if the other team makes a poor putt.

Dude, I'd love to play a match with you as my teammate bro. We'd have a ton of fun and play some great golf.

Nicely put my hi-handi brotha!!!

I want to also add one thing. We are over 7 months away from this event. There is not a person here, with proper effort and timing that could not be a lower index in my opinion. It is certainly not demanded, but with proper training and coaching, I believe anybody in this event can go there.

Well......guess I need to start practicing my alt. shot process with someone this spring.........ready Cookie!? :D

Hope you like hitting from the trees! :banana:

So your vote is for alternate shot at Caladonia? That could be really interesting. :alien:

Can we fast forward 8 months? I am ready to do this now!!

Here's my opinion.

I don't care what format you all choose to play. But please match people up with handicaps in mind. Especially if there is a singles match. My Sunday round with Amol and Jarret was one of the funnest rounds I have ever experienced! But they killed me. I think I only beat both of them on the same hole once, and that was my shot of the year jar the cup birdie shot that I didn't see but only heard it, on a par three I missed the green on. Other than that, by the time we made the turn, I was just trying to stretch the round out as long as I could. Too many bogeys against two guys that were grinding out more pars than bogeys.

I know it was a luck of the draw thing, but maybe what I am saying is to get rid of the blind draw matchups.

I would not trade the round for anything because these two were some of the nicest guys I ever played with and can't remember a time recently that I laughed so much during a round. Whoever plays against or with these guys is in for a treat.

I want to also add one thing. We are over 7 months away from this event. There is not a person here, with proper effort and timing that could not be a lower index in my opinion. It is certainly not demanded, but with proper training and coaching, I believe anybody in this event can go there.

Agreed. Look at what some guys did last year. Smalls, TBT, SW and others, worked their tails off to be playing great golf by time they hit MB. Heck I think TBT was around a 17 HDCP when he was selected and he walked on to True Blue sub 13.

Agreed completely and I would not be surprised if this is one of the goals of most involved. Last year, I went from 12 to 9 (roughly). This year I want to be sub 6 when it's time for the big show!

Agreed. Look at what some guys did last year. Smalls, TBT, SW and others, worked their tails off to be playing great golf by time they hit MB. Heck I think TBT was around a 17 HDCP when he was selected and he walked on to True Blue sub 13.

and then crushed it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back