TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

Thanks Hawk for the comparison to the Burner as I was starting to think by looking at the earlier pictures it had the same top line and face as the RBZ irons. But I think you can see that it is going to be a bit smaller than the RBZ irons for sure.

You guys have to be so excited about testing these irons out!

No problem, Nate. I'm wishing that I'd spent more time with the RBZ's right now. I know it will be a topic that many are interested in and I just don't have a lot of experience with them.

Assuming the place isn't booked up, I'll be getting some numbers on the irons tonight. I brought 3 other irons (2.0, CG16, and 588 CB) as well. Main thing I want to see tonight is if the launch angle/spin claims TaylorMade is making hold up. Also very interested to see ball speed vs swing speed and how they gap for me slot vs no slot.

Those comparison pics are great. While the RBZs were some of the ugliest clubs ever made it also appears Taylormade realized that and chromed the 2.0s, added a slot, moved the number, and called them RocketBladez.

Yea, they would win any day vs the RBZ in a beauty pageant. I think they are nice looking than the 2.0's as well, but that's just personal preference.

Brought my good camera with as well. Going to try to capture some sound and possibly put together a testing video. Sound doesn't translate that well onto disk, but it's better than nothing I guess.

If anyone could compare these to the Burner 2.0's I'd really appreciate it.

All the employees at my company pool money for Xmas gifts for the 2 owners of my Company every year. I get the honor of picking the presents every year which can be pretty difficult. Consdering a new iron set this year for one of them.

If anyone could compare these to the Burner 2.0's I'd really appreciate it.

All the employees at my company pool money for Xmas gifts for the 2 owners of my Company every year. I get the honor of picking the presents every year which can be pretty difficult. Consdering a new iron set this year for one of them.

If you go back a couple pages there are pictures. I'm going to hit both side by side tonight as well.

Jimmy if you go back a little past the pictures Hawk put up I also go into some of the differences between the 2.0 and the RocketBladez that I have picked up on in my early testing.

If you go back a couple pages there are pictures. I'm going to hit both side by side tonight as well.

Ha! Oops. They look great. Smaller then what I imagined, might not be a good thing for him. Will look forward to your future comparisons.

I'm personally excited for the Tour version. My only concern is consistency. A hot iron is great, but it needs to be consistent. Take my current 712 AP2's for example. I had the originals and found they had hot spots where suddenly the ball would fly 15 yards further. The current 712 models are extremely consistent which is why they are back in the bag.

Ha! Oops. They look great. Smaller then what I imagined, might not be a good thing for him. Will look forward to your future comparisons.

I'm personally excited for the Tour version. My only concern is consistency. A hot iron is great, but it needs to be consistent. Take my current 712 AP2's for example. I had the originals and found they had hot spots where suddenly the ball would fly 15 yards further. The current 712 models are extremely consistent which is why they are back in the bag.

They are pretty sharp. Aside from a slightly thicker topline, they are almost indentical in size to the 2.0's if that helps.

Just got done getting to know the 5 iron. Awesome mid high missiles. Impressed.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352912399335.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352912399335.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0
Nice! I was amazed at how easily I got that club in the air. Sounds like you are seeing the same thing.

Looks like nice consistent contact there. Sounds like some great results as well.

sweet dude....looking forward to hearing more about it

You sir, have me intrigued.

In case anybody missed it, THP is giving a set of these away as part of the HUGE Holiday Cheer event.

I didn't miss it, but I am praying most everyone else did!

these clubs look amazing! my father in law has pre-ordered them & promised me he'd let me swing them.. after a couple of weeks lol. can't wait!

Good practice session and got some info to share in a bit.

Posted via tapatalk.

Thanks Hawk for the pics vs 2.0s. I look forward to reading your sim results.

Today was round 2 with the RocketBladez irons and it was night / day difference from my first round. Earlier I posted about hitting the 5 iron on the range and posted a little pic of the face after about 10 balls or so. In case you missed it its below. This was a big step in the right direction because my first time out I really struggled with the longer shafts and making good contact. It did get better as the day went on but nothing like today.
Spoiler
IMG_20121114_115712.jpg

Today I shot a 43/43 which is much better then Id been shooting lately. I ended up with 7 GIR's on the day which can be attributed to both the irons and a tee game keeping things in check. I played this course from the whites which is 6148 since it was a little chilly (50*) and breezy. That isnt very long but it made for a more enjoyable round in my opinion. Ball used today was Srixon Soft Feel and I thought it played pretty good with the RocketBladez. These irons produce that nothing feeling when pured and the softer ball only helps that feeling. I did think at times it seemed to be a little shorter then something like an e6 or e5.

Thoughts on the irons so far? They flat out perform as expected with this type of iron. I thought I might struggle looking down at them at address a little more but its really not that bad. Maybe it would be more so coming from 588's or some other more blade type of iron. I actually took a few swings with the 4 iron during my round and every time it was like a missile shot from my arms. Each time it was probably too long a shot distance wise than I could pull off but I went for it anyway. They start off low, rise up and fall soft. Distance with the 4 was in the 190-200 range it seemed. I also hit the 5 a couple times besides on the range and saw a very similar ball flight. Playing from the white tees gave me a lot of 8,9 and PW chances today. The PW was money. Seems to fall about in line with my other PW which can be anywhere from 110 - 125. Shot of the day for me was the last hole. Left my drive hanging out along the right side and splashed into the FW bunker. That left me 170 ish to the center of the green. Hit a 5 iron that went high landed two feet left of the hole and rolled about 10 feet behind it. Just missed the bird coming back down.

So what was different today from Saturday? For one I had to check and recheck my set up at address to make sure I wasnt too close to the ball. Thainer was picking my brain about these and when we discussed my struggles we came to the conclusion with the longer shafts I was too close to the ball. That made a huger difference today. I did not hit one bad ball on the range. And that usually scares me because I always struggle during my round when balls are striped on the range. That didnt happen today. Another thing I did not see much of were the fat shots. At least not with the irons. That is something that makes me very happy. I do think the irons with the speed slot thing in them make a tad more noise then the ones that dont. Nothing bad but you can hear it. After two rounds I find myself pretty impressed with the RocketBladez.

Today was round 2 with the RocketBladez irons and it was night / day difference from my first round. Earlier I posted about hitting the 5 iron on the range and posted a little pic of the face after about 10 balls or so. In case you missed it its below. This was a big step in the right direction because my first time out I really struggled with the longer shafts and making good contact. It did get better as the day went on but nothing like today.
Spoiler
IMG_20121114_115712.jpg

Today I shot a 43/43 which is much better then Id been shooting lately. I ended up with 7 GIR's on the day which can be attributed to both the irons and a tee game keeping things in check. I played this course from the whites which is 6148 since it was a little chilly (50*) and breezy. That isnt very long but it made for a more enjoyable round in my opinion. Ball used today was Srixon Soft Feel and I thought it played pretty good with the RocketBladez. These irons produce that nothing feeling when pured and the softer ball only helps that feeling. I did think at times it seemed to be a little shorter then something like an e6 or e5.

Thoughts on the irons so far? They flat out perform as expected with this type of iron. I thought I might struggle looking down at them at address a little more but its really not that bad. Maybe it would be more so coming from 588's or some other more blade type of iron. I actually took a few swings with the 4 iron during my round and every time it was like a missile shot from my arms. Each time it was probably too long a shot distance wise than I could pull off but I went for it anyway. They start off low, rise up and fall soft. Distance with the 4 was in the 190-200 range it seemed. I also hit the 5 a couple times besides on the range and saw a very similar ball flight. Playing from the white tees gave me a lot of 8,9 and PW chances today. The PW was money. Seems to fall about in line with my other PW which can be anywhere from 110 - 125. Shot of the day for me was the last hole. Left my drive hanging out along the right side and splashed into the FW bunker. That left me 170 ish to the center of the green. Hit a 5 iron that went high landed two feet left of the hole and rolled about 10 feet behind it. Just missed the bird coming back down.

So what was different today from Saturday? For one I had to check and recheck my set up at address to make sure I wasnt too close to the ball. Thainer was picking my brain about these and when we discussed my struggles we came to the conclusion with the longer shafts I was too close to the ball. That made a huger difference today. I did not hit one bad ball on the range. And that usually scares me because I always struggle during my round when balls are striped on the range. That didnt happen today. Another thing I did not see much of were the fat shots. At least not with the irons. That is something that makes me very happy. I do think the irons with the speed slot thing in them make a tad more noise then the ones that dont. Nothing bad but you can hear it. After two rounds I find myself pretty impressed with the RocketBladez.

Nice round and write up KMAC

Back