TaylorMade SLDR Rescue Review Thread

I love this photo

pic68.jpg

Great visualization on the adjustments to the weight port.

Also, fantastic thoughts RyanHawkster.
Agreed, really shows the change and innovation!

Another great review Hawk! Once I can hit something other than a blade style hybrid again I will have to check these out.

There's a pretty solid group of forum testers and I'm looking forward to reading their results as well.

Great review Hawk! Will definitely be giving this hybrid some swings.

I received the regular, non TP version of this Hybrid in for Forum Testing. Biggest change is in the shaft, with the standard hybrid coming with an 82g shaft vs the heavier in the TP line. For me, this was a good thing, as with a hybrid I need to maximize the height on my ball flight the best that I can, and with the heavier shaft I found that I was struggling to achieve that.

A few pics;

photo25_zps34b6a9de.jpg

photo26_zpse55f5af1.jpg

photo27_zps664bbe2d.jpg

From an aesthetics stand point, the SLDR Hybrid is quite appealing to me. As with the rest of the line, the gray is just something that appeals to my likings. Minimal graphics that are not in your face and pleasant to look down on at address. Not flashy, but subtle good looks that will appeal to most golfers. When looking at this design, it reminds me of the TaylorMade Rescue hybrids from years ago with the larger face and more square shape to the toe of the club face. Personally, I love this look, and the larger face really boosts my confidence when pulling this one.

Performance... Lower center of gravity to promote a higher ball flight? Yes, please. This intrigued me a good bit, as I play some courses with longer Par 3s and holding a green with a hybrid is something that is rare for me to do. Perhaps a higher launch with a steeper descending flight could help me out a bit.

On course results; Having put the Hybrid in the bag Saturday afternoon, and hit the course with it immediately Sunday morning, I was going to put it to the test immediately. First opportunity came on the 2nd hole of the day, which was a longer Par 3, playing 188 yards dead in to the wind, all carry over water with a massive pot bunker between the water and the green. Easy hole... Rather than stepping on a long iron, I decided to tee up the SLDR Hybrid and put a nice smooth swing on it. I was treated to a nice, high ball flight with a slight fade on the tail end. The ball landed the green, pin high, hopped forward a bit and stopped. I was quite impressed with that shot, and it stuck with me the entire day. Holding a green on a long Par 3 with a hybrid is something that I do not believe I have done all that often.

Throughout the round, I found myself pulling the hybrid at every opportunity. Off the deck, off the tee for shorter Par 4s, etc. Off the deck, I really enjoyed hitting the SLDR. I found that if I focused on making a "sweeping" swing with it, similar to what I would do with a fairway wood, that it would give me the best result. I did hit it fat a time or two, but that was all on the swing, not so much the club. With a smooth, sweeping type swing, I found that the ball would explode off the face and give me exactly what I was looking for. Distance was quite impressive, as when wind was not much a factor, I was seeing about 210 yards with it.

With a bit of work with this one, I can see it being quite reliable for me, especially with an improved ball flight compared to other hybrids I have been gaming. Really excited to see the rest of the testers get their equipment in hand and out on the course to see how their initial experiences go.

I've often struggled with a low ball flight and am very intrigued by the results you have seen with the rescue. This line wasn't really on my radar but this review just changed that.

I've often struggled with a low ball flight and am very intrigued by the results you have seen with the rescue. This line wasn't really on my radar but this review just changed that.
There is no denying my struggles with the driver, however, the Hybrid has been a nice surprise for me.

There is no denying my struggles with the driver, however, the Hybrid has been a nice surprise for me.

Dude, I was the same with the fairway.

Me and the driver got along well, I'm really wondering how the fairway will treat me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a really good looking club. I like what they have going on with this overall.

Great write ups by Hawk and War Eagle. Sounds like this would be a good fit for a lot of players.

I always like when you can put something new in the bag and have immediate success.

I arrived home yesterday from a very long day at work and meetings. I was completely beaten until I saw the familiar shape of golf club box in my office.

Contained within the four sided cardboard box was a quite pleasant looking 19* SLDR hybrid with a Speeder 82h stiff shaft.
he7a9asy.jpg

The shafts runs down into an adjustable hosel with STD LOFT, LOWER and HIGHER stamped on it in traditional TaylorMade type set.
be8udeza.jpg
y8apu4ud.jpg

The Hosel flows into a very familiar shaped head, very similar to an old Sonartec I played for years before I discovered THP. It's the perfect size. Not to long so it doesn't look like a FW and not too short, like a driving iron. The club looks like a traditional hybrid.
tutyryha.jpg
uqu5ajy9.jpg

The sole starts with a great leading edge that just blends into a tech look sole. The weight is dead center and forward. Dare I say mini launching pad, I just might.
7eru4ave.jpg

I will be doing long term testing on this beauty so feel free to ask what ever questions you might have.

Great pics, Freddie. I have a feeling this one will be a bomber for you, sir.

Great pics, Freddie. I have a feeling this one will be a bomber for you, sir.

I'm feeling the same way. Will be playing with my dad this week so it get it's work out on a tight short course

Great early thoughts guys. One question I have is about the adaptor. Is the R1/Stage 2 adaptor, or the old version?

Man, great pics Freddie. This club does look really really good to the eye. Looking forward to comparing notes.

Great early thoughts guys. One question I have is about the adaptor. Is the R1/Stage 2 adaptor, or the old version?
Keygs I just bought an R1 adaptor yesterday and it looks the same.

Man, great pics Freddie. This club does look really really good to the eye. Looking forward to comparing notes.

Yeah buddy, comparing notes with you will be fun. You hit a long ball and this should keep
That trend going

Keygs I just bought an R1 adaptor yesterday and it looks the same.
Thank you sir. Kind of want to upgrade my rescue 11, but want to stay with my Nunchuk shaft. Good to know it should be a fairly easy adaptor switch.

Nice start Freddie and Ryan. I figure both of you will hit this thing pretty far. Any plans to tinker with the adjustments? I would have, but the N setting was giving me good enough numbers that I didn't need to.

Nice start Freddie and Ryan. I figure both of you will hit this thing pretty far. Any plans to tinker with the adjustments? I would have, but the N setting was giving me good enough numbers that I didn't need to.
The N setting so far has been quite nice to me, however, I was thinking about upping the loft a bit to get me a bit higher launch and to cover the 200 yard gap that I currently have (when the 4i isnt in the bag).

I'm curious how that will work out for you. Could be a good match to help you elevate that ball a bit.

I'm going to actual try every setting available for this process. I know pretty much were I need to be but would like to know maybe where I shouldn't be as well

I'm going to actual try every setting available for this process. I know pretty much were I need to be but would like to know maybe where I shouldn't be as well

I thought adjustable hybrids were a little bit of overkill there for awhile, but the Covert Tour really changed that. I've used it with that one and love having the option. Not to mention I always like knowing I can open up the face if I want.

I think this will be good for you, you're going to learn a lot my friend!

Yesterday I was able to grab the TP version of the 3 hybrid (19*) in Golfsmith and take it into the Golftec hitting bay for quite a few swings on the foresight monitor. First of all, the TP version with the 93 gram shaft is really heavy feeling. Keep in mind I'm coming from the Mashie hybrids with 56ish gram shafts.

But really, after about 3 swings, I was swinging this heavy beast pretty good. And the face is hot for sure. Whether its the forward CG or the slot or both, I was getting pretty insane ball speeds and distance with this club.

My averages across 10 swings were as follows:
Ball Speed: 147
Launch Angle: 11 degrees
Side spin: -400 (draw)
Total Spin: 3600
Descent angle: 39
Peak Height: 31 yards
Carry: 240 yards
Total distance: 262 yards

I found this club to be pretty impressive considering I'm sure I'm losing at least a couple MPH clubhead speed due to the heavy shaft so the transfer of energy is fantastic. The initial launch seems like its a little low, but the peak height is pretty good. A little higher launching shaft may not hurt me in this hybrid. All shots were off the mat in the simulator, not teed up.

Back