The 2013-14 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I am going to find the AA high school game, looks like Vandy pretty much has this one.

Was Saban considered a tier 1 coach at that time? I know Mack wasn't a tier 1 coach when Texas got him. There were a lot of folks that didn't understand the hire.

IIRC, Saban and Brown both had top 10 teams their last year at MSU and UNC. IMO, they were both in the up-and-comer class that had consistently built winners, similar to Urban Meyer and Tommy Bowden (who didn't make it, IMO RichRod was the fuel for Bowden).

My suspicion is that Clemson had another play downfield ready if/when OSU adjusted to the outside screen. That's been their scheme on offense this season.

It was a fun game to watch, outcome notwithstanding.

Hardly matters tOSU has no secondary anyways.

They have a great D Line and Shazier and that's it.

IIRC, Saban and Brown both had top 10 teams their last year at MSU and UNC. IMO, they were both in the up-and-comer class that had consistently built winners, similar to Urban Meyer and Tommy Bowden (who didn't make it, IMO RichRod was the fuel for Bowden).

Strong has gone 23-3 last 2 years and team has finished in the top 15 each of those years. Would you consider Strong a tier 1 coach?

Strong has gone 23-3 last 2 years and team has finished in the top 15 each of those years. Would you consider Strong a tier 1 coach?

It's a tough argument, but the AAC sucks so bad it's hard to gauge what he will do against stiffer competition and w/o Teddy.

He's probably a good hire, but folks will be cautious since they expected a gimme home run hire.

HUGE commit for OU in the HB Joe Mixon, sugar bowl played a role there, and with AD as his favorite player...why not?

And Houston ties it up, that offense is rolling right now.

HUGE commit for OU in the HB Joe Mixon, sugar bowl played a role there, and with AD as his favorite player...why not?

That is what I am watching, thought of you when he committed, I still am not very convinced about the role the bowl played though. How else can you explain Tennessee and Florida having stellar recruiting classes even though they did not make it to a bowl.

That is what I am watching, thought of you when he committed, I still am not very convinced about the role the bowl played though. How else can you explain Tennessee and Florida having stellar recruiting classes even though they did not make it to a bowl.

Problem with OU was not having a big win in the last couple years they have lost a lot of players including in staters, with beating Bama as the only game on tv that night a lot of the recruits OU has been battling have given feedback that it def played a role.

They are fun to watch...just turned it on for the 3rd.
I just went back over, Vandy had this well in hand when I changed to the HS Army All American Bowl. Looks like another great bowl game finish coming up.

Hardly matters tOSU has no secondary anyways.

They have a great D Line and Shazier and that's it.

And roby

It's a tough argument, but the AAC sucks so bad it's hard to gauge what he will do against stiffer competition and w/o Teddy.

He's probably a good hire, but folks will be cautious since they expected a gimme home run hire.

Saban went 9-2 his last year at MSU but before that was a little over .500 for 4 years. Mack did have 3 10 win seasons at NC and a few more 9 wins. Still don't know if I would have considered him a tier 1 coach when he came to Texas but I could probably be convinced.

When was the last time, if ever, did a big time tier 1 college head coach move from one program to another?

I couldn't think of one??!! It just doesn't happen in college football, or for that matter any of the big sports.

Anyone got someone?

Lane Kiffin

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thought that too but he quit the school due to health reasons and sat out the year. He didn't move straight from one big program to the other right away.

Yea, he went from one league to another so not going to count that.

Lane is the closest I can think of but was he ever a Tier 1 coach?

Was Saban considered a tier 1 coach at that time? I know Mack wasn't a tier 1 coach when Texas got him. There were a lot of folks that didn't understand the hire.

Tuberville went from Ole Miss to Auburn, teams in the same division of the same conference

Lane Kiffin

Wasn't lane like 1-15 at Oakland, then 6-6 at Tennessee before he went to USC? I don't know if Lane was or should have been considered elite before USC?

Elite is all in the eye of the beholder anyways.

Strong is a good hire for Texas. I still think Briles would have been better.

Elite is all in the eye of the beholder anyways.

Strong is a good hire for Texas. I still think Briles would have been better.

I'm with ya James.

Younger - check
High energy - check
Good recruiter - check
Players coach - check

Still much to prove but we should feel good about this. Now if he could only bring Bridgewater with him.

Dolla dolla bills, y'all.

I'm with ya James.

Younger - check
High energy - check
Good recruiter - check
Players coach - check

Still much to prove but we should feel good about this. Now if he could only bring Bridgewater with him.

It'll be all good dude, give him a year to get everything implemented and I really think he will show he's a great hire.

Charlie will do well at Texas. He's a good guy and I am glad to see him get a big time opportunity (pun intended)

Charlie will do well at Texas. He's a good guy and I am glad to see him get a big time opportunity (pun intended)

Always meant to ask Beags, what'd you think of Boulware while he was at Auburn? Dude helped our special teams a ton, we will see about tight ends next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back