Recommendations for the Riviera Maya?

El Bandito

Reaction score
Handicap
13 ish
Morning All!

I am on the hunt for some advice on courses down Mexico way on the Riviera Maya. I found a couple of threads going back 5 years from Clairefromclare but nothing since. I am flying out on the 14th of January for two weeks of sun, relaxation and maybe the odd tequila.:drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks:
Staying at Secrets Maroma Beach on the Playa del Carmen.
While the Princess of Darkness snoozes, I'm planning to skip out for the odd 18. Requirements are: nice course and better than evens chance of not becoming a light snack for a crocodile...

Any advice?

Morning All!

I am on the hunt for some advice on courses down Mexico way on the Riviera Maya. I found a couple of threads going back 5 years from Clairefromclare but nothing since. I am flying out on the 14th of January for two weeks of sun, relaxation and maybe the odd tequila.:drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks:
Staying at Secrets Maroma Beach on the Playa del Carmen.
While the Princess of Darkness snoozes, I'm planning to skip out for the odd 18. Requirements are: nice course and better than evens chance of not becoming a light snack for a crocodile...

Any advice?

Lucky Sod is all I am saying!

Lucky Sod is all I am saying!
Agreed. Seems like an inspired decision last year...particularly looking at the monsoon outside my kitchen window!

Agreed. Seems like an inspired decision last year...particularly looking at the monsoon outside my kitchen window!

It is pretty disgraceful out there ah! Absolutely ruined most of the golf courses out there as well :(

It is pretty disgraceful out there ah! Absolutely ruined most of the golf courses out there as well :(
Ours built on chalk, so in pretty good nick. But if it stays this relentless even Tidworth is going to struggle! Having laughed at Mav and his dodgy wrist, I have one myself now! So wearing a support and giving it a rest till next weekend.

A little over a year ago, the wife and I stayed at the Moon Palace in Cancun and played their courses designed by Nicklaus and really enjoyed them. Several tee boxes gives you a lot of options on the length.
Another one we played was the Riviera Cancun, a Nicklaus design as well, in a wetlands reserve. It was even better than the Moon Palace and I think it is only 30 minutes from your resort.
Here is a tip for the Riviera course. Give the beverage cart driver a $20 the first time you see it and you will get stronger drinks(if you want) and will visit you on a more than regular basis with no need for more tips. We found this helpful since there was no water on the course. He had lots of ice and bottled water on his cart along with the adult beverages.
Enjoy your trip !

Head down to Mayakoba and play the course there. It's where the PGA Tour plays a tournament every year, and the conditions there are awesome. Just be prepared for some wind, especially on 7 and 15, which are par 3s that have the green right next to the beach.

A little over a year ago, the wife and I stayed at the Moon Palace in Cancun and played their courses designed by Nicklaus and really enjoyed them. Several tee boxes gives you a lot of options on the length.
Another one we played was the Riviera Cancun, a Nicklaus design as well, in a wetlands reserve. It was even better than the Moon Palace and I think it is only 30 minutes from your resort.
Here is a tip for the Riviera course. Give the beverage cart driver a $20 the first time you see it and you will get stronger drinks(if you want) and will visit you on a more than regular basis with no need for more tips. We found this helpful since there was no water on the course. He had lots of ice and bottled water on his cart along with the adult beverages.
Enjoy your trip !

This is so cool as KellyBo and I stayed at the Moon Palace for our Honeymoon eight years ago and we played golf at the courses you mentioned. We had a great time as it was all inclusive to include the golf. One of the courses we played, I believe it was the Riviera Cancun, had all kind of cute critters running around. KellyBo had a bag of chips in the cart and a weird little dude who looked half squirrel, half rabbit, and half fox jumped in the cart and grabbed her chips. KB jumped about three feet off the ground and took off running :D.

Head down to Mayakoba and play the course there. It's where the PGA Tour plays a tournament every year, and the conditions there are awesome. Just be prepared for some wind, especially on 7 and 15, which are par 3s that have the green right next to the beach.
looks like this is right on the doorstep of our hotel...better give it a go! Thanks:thumb:

This is so cool as KellyBo and I stayed at the Moon Palace for our Honeymoon eight years ago and we played golf at the courses you mentioned. We had a great time as it was all inclusive to include the golf. One of the courses we played, I believe it was the Riviera Cancun, had all kind of cute critters running around. KellyBo had a bag of chips in the cart and a weird little dude who looked half squirrel, half rabbit, and half fox jumped in the cart and grabbed her chips. KB jumped about three feet off the ground and took off running :D.

OG, I think you are talking about a Coatimundi.
Coatimundi_003.jpg

I used to live in Panama and we had those in our garbage cans all the time like the raccoons do.
They get very brave with the tourists and jump up in the carts and steal food all the time.

We really liked the Moon Palace all inclusive with the golf package.
The Riviera Cancun was my favorite of the courses we played and the all inclusive deal was our first time of trying that.
We are thinking of going back either next year or the following.

Looks like a cool little critter...I'll have a look at the Riviera Cancun. Wasn't that where a croc took a chunk out of a Scotsman in a bunker last year?

Back