Michigan Slice lesson thread

I had similar thoughts and was wrong as well. If the back(right) leg is straight we can't use that leg to push off the ground, through the ball and get our weight on our left side after impact.

True.
But too much bend I would think would lead to sliding and/or dipping into the strike zone.
Which I was struggling with.
I think I may be on the fast track to eliminating this swing flaw as I've been dedicating some time to proper takeaway, and weight transfer starting with the knee/hip bump.

Walking into the golf done right now for another practice session.
We will se how it goes....

True.
But too much bend I would think would lead to sliding and/or dipping into the strike zone.
Which I was struggling with.
I think I may be on the fast track to eliminating this swing flaw as I've been dedicating some time to proper takeaway, and weight transfer starting with the knee/hip bump.

Walking into the golf done right now for another practice session.
We will se how it goes....

CJ the sliding comes from not rotating on your left leg. the dipping is from not maintaining a level hips.

I'm sure Freddie can explain it a lot better than me.

On my way for another lesson!

Based on my range sessions recently, I'm really exited!

I had a proud moment today at my lesson.

My pro simply said "it really looks like you worked hard this week on your swing"

My pro simply said "it really looks like you worked hard this week on your swing"

That's great CJ and it means so much to him that he has a student putting in the work. It will mean a ton as you keep progressing through your lessons.

Keep up the work.

Back at some ice fishing, will give a lesson recap a little later.

Sounds like you are making progress, great job!

Simply fantastic CJ! Can't wait to hear about it.

Today I had my lesson, showed up, did some stretching before I hit the range for about 15-20 swings before my lesson started.

NOTHING fantastic about the warmup on the range, but nothing really (other than a heel miss) that was really bad.

Went in to work with Josh, and he asked how my week was, we chit chatted a little, he asked if I've hit the range, when I told him I have, he said great, and I started to hit the OCHO (my pet name for my 8 iron).

I set up, grip in the fingers, 3/10 on the grip pressure, right foot dropped 4-5", imagined a range bucket right next to the ball to keep from coming over the top, imagined that tee in my "V" on the left hand.

And I swung away. Set up again, and swung away, repeated this 3 more times when Josh says "WOW! I can tell you've really worked on your swing this week"
I probably was grinning like a 10 year old on Christmas morning! I asked if it looked noticeably better, and he said it sure has. I said night and day difference, he replied well...... Night and late afternoon difference. We shared a laugh, but he assured me it was a lot better. Today was also the first day I've left a session without my back hurting. My guess is a more relaxed grip taking tension out of my swing.

Let me say this...... I KNOW THAT I STILL HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO!

I have worked on my swing, it's a more free motion.
It's not a finished product, I know this.
My hope is to develop a repeatable swing that is workable, also when something goes awry in that motion, it is quickly troubleshot and corrected.

Ok, I hit some good 8 irons today, so we moved to the 6, then to the 588 altitude 3.
I'll say this, I struggled a tad off the bat with the altitude, my miss was a thin strike. Then another.

My instructor handed my 6 iron back to me, I didn't take it, I told him I NEED to hit this 3!
I thinned another one, when he prompted me to step back, think about my setup, and reset and try again.

I stepped right back up and realized that 1. I was setting the ball WAY forward in my stance, and 2. Was trying to sweep, and not getting my left shoulder to the ball ( I was not turning). I hit the next 5-6 shots pretty well. Next Josh handed my PW to me and said here you go, I thought about how different my setup had to be and the consequences of not having the proper setup for the club that was in my hand.

I hit a few good shots, and was quite relieved.

The lesson largely went this way, back and forth between different clubs through my bag (3H-PW) and it made me realize how important my setup is, especially considering many time I won't have the flexibility to compensate for an improper setup.
I LOVE that my lessons are teaching me also how to think about these things. ( hopefully also teaching me how to think my way around a golf course)

When the lesson ended, I asked when the big dog was going to come out. Although my lesson has ended Josh told me to tee some up and hit some.
My driver probably cost me the most strokes in 2013.
I hit probably 8-10 balls, I could live with the results I would think out on a course. I didn't slice, I didn't push, but I did have a very slight fade. And missed my target line by about 15-20 yards.

Josh asked how much I hit driver during my range sessions. ZERO I told him. When asked why not, I replied because we are not working on driver, we are working on my 8 iron!

He high fived me, I think that made him happy!

We are unsure when my next lesson will be because our schedules somewhat clash the next two weeks, but I'm sure I will be back soon.

Sorry this rambled. Thank you for following along.

Also, I want to truly thank everyone for the kind words of encouragement. I means a lot to me.
Thanks for helping be the inspiration to make me want to play the game better!

Thanks again,
CJ

Last edited:
Great recap dude glad u were able to spend some time with the diffetent clubs in the bag. Sounds like you have a great coach and you guys have good chemistry. ..that's awrsome. Keep it up man

Great stuff, CJ. I'm really happy for you these lessons are progressing well.

Great recap CJ! Keep up the good work!

Great recap Barb! Sound like you and your instructor are a great match.

Tonight working on putting....

e3e6ubed.jpg

Great work, man! Barb is dead! (Or does this prove that you really are Barb?)

anyway - keep it up!

Another lesson starts here shortly.
I'm exited to see what's in store for today's session. Will hit the BioCell hope to get some trackman data on it as well.

Good luck CJ it's been fun following along.

Today's lesson.... Was not as good as I hoped it would be.
But having struggles along the way is part of this. It won't be easy, I'm aware of this.

I started off today running a little late to my lesson, I arrived EXACTLY on thine, meaning I did not have time to hit the range prior to today's lesson.
This may have been the beginning to my struggles.

I started off hitting my 8 iron a few shots. When my instructor says today he'd like to work on my lower body, to quiet it down. See, my left knee slides away from the target on my backswing too much, and my knees end up coming together a bit, causing some minor balance issues.
When we went over the points of emphasis, then I took my practice swings, the motion felt weird, a little uncomfortable, but doable. When I progressed into 3/4 and full swings trying to keep proper spacing in my knees, and stopping sliding my left side on my backswing, my timing fell all apart.

What happened was my shoulders began over rotating, causing my swing to cut across the ball again. I was able to feel what was happening, I was just not immediately able to keep it from happening.

My pro then told me to try keeping my grip within my shoulders, hoping to slow my shoulders from rotating, and getting me back in synch. It worked somewhat.

Today, I got stuck a little bit.
I'm of course not happy about this, but I look at it this way, I felt that my swing was out of synch, and I worked on a solution (grip within shoulders) that gave me results, on the course this just may prove useful!

We also compared my burner 2.0, and the BioCell 6 irons today. I'll say this, my swing was what it was today. But the BioCell is a performer! Faster swing speed, ball speed, carry distance. The feel of the club was also very good!
I don't have the trackman file as of yet, but will post the numbers in the BioCell review thread as soon as I get them!

Struggles are part if this game! I know this, and will work on it!

Looks like I have some work to do!

Today's lesson.... Was not as good as I hoped it would be.
But having struggles along the way is part of this. It won't be easy, I'm aware of this.

I started off today running a little late to my lesson, I arrived EXACTLY on thine, meaning I did not have time to hit the range prior to today's lesson.
This may have been the beginning to my struggles.

I started off hitting my 8 iron a few shots. When my instructor says today he'd like to work on my lower body, to quiet it down. See, my left knee slides away from the target on my backswing too much, and my knees end up coming together a bit, causing some minor balance issues.
When we went over the points of emphasis, then I took my practice swings, the motion felt weird, a little uncomfortable, but doable. When I progressed into 3/4 and full swings trying to keep proper spacing in my knees, and stopping sliding my left side on my backswing, my timing fell all apart.

What happened was my shoulders began over rotating, causing my swing to cut across the ball again. I was able to feel what was happening, I was just not immediately able to keep it from happening.

My pro then told me to try keeping my grip within my shoulders, hoping to slow my shoulders from rotating, and getting me back in synch. It worked somewhat.

Today, I got stuck a little bit.
I'm of course not happy about this, but I look at it this way, I felt that my swing was out of synch, and I worked on a solution (grip within shoulders) that gave me results, on the course this just may prove useful!

We also compared my burner 2.0, and the BioCell 6 irons today. I'll say this, my swing was what it was today. But the BioCell is a performer! Faster swing speed, ball speed, carry distance. The feel of the club was also very good!
I don't have the trackman file as of yet, but will post the numbers in the BioCell review thread as soon as I get them!

Struggles are part if this game! I know this, and will work on it!

Looks like I have some work to do!

Keep plugging away...gotta struggle on the way to the top!

Keep grinding CJ! February's trip will be here in no time for you to showcase how far you've come, keep it up bud!

Keep grinding CJ! Overcoming those little mis-steps will make you a stronger golfer in the end!

Hang in there man! It seems like you've got the right attitude, but I know it can still be frustrating and hard to stay patient at times.

Keep up the work buddy. It will pay off for sure! There's gonna be bumps, but you have the right attitude.

Getting out of sync is one of the things I struggle with too. Keeping the takeaway slower and more under control seems to help me.

Love the updates, keep em coming. :)

Back