Cleveland 588 MT Irons Preview Thread

Apologies for the thread revival - I am in pondering mode for a combo set...I'm looking at 8-PW in TT, 5-7 in MT and 3,4 in Altitudes. Probably a KBS shaft. I am naturally going to go hit these and some alternatives - but I would really like to hear how you guys have got on with them a few months down the line?

I started off with a 4 Altitude, MTs through the PW, and a TT DW. My thinking with the TT DW was a little more versatility on partial shots with more forgiveness PW on down in what would be mostly full swings.

Very happy with them all, but since then, I am still adding Altitudes on the long end. I now have a 5 and 6 Altitude in the bag. They have really changed my long (and mid) iron game. I hit the 5 and 6 MT alright, but I have a confidence like never before with the Altitudes.

I guess my point is try them all out and don't just assume the Altitudes are just replacements for the longest irons. I can't really justify why I don't have a whole set of them, although for me the MT 7 - PW have been a huge upgrade over the Burner 2.0s I had before, in both consistency with ball striking and accuracy.

Oh and I have DG shafts S300 in everything.

I guess my point is try them all out and don't just assume the Altitudes are just replacements for the longest irons. I can't really justify why I don't have a whole set of them, although for me the MT 7 - PW have been a huge upgrade over the Burner 2.0s I had before, in both consistency with ball striking and accuracy.

Oh and I have DG shafts S300 in everything.

Good advice. The barrier on the altitudes is going to be the look, but I'll definitely try a raft of different combinations.

Gamed my new MT's today and wow are they great. I started the year with Z-Stars and then moved to Adams Super S's for more distance and forgiveness. I got that but I missed the feel of the Z's. The MT's have it all, long and forgiving with a soft feel.

I went with the KBS 90's in them and it seems like a great choice. Easy launching but not ballooning even in a strong wind today.

One of the options that I am considering. Still happy with them?

El B - it's a good iron set. Not very flashy, but certainly can keep up with others in its class. I'll say that I think the TT's are more forgiving and easier to work with than you may think, so I wouldn't be scared of going down into the 7 or even 6 iron. I wasn't a big fan of the Altitudes long term. Just didn't set up well for me and I missed left with them on the regular.

El B - it's a good iron set. Not very flashy, but certainly can keep up with others in its class. I'll say that I think the TT's are more forgiving and easier to work with than you may think, so I wouldn't be scared of going down into the 7 or even 6 iron. I wasn't a big fan of the Altitudes long term. Just didn't set up well for me and I missed left with them on the regular.

Thanks Hawk. Interesting feedback, in the space of a couple of posts, I have one recommending that I do not ignore bringing the altitudes further down the bag and another recommending that I should not be frightened of taking TT a little further up the bag. Guess it really shows the strength of the offering that in some ways the combo nature of the line means that the clubs can be all things to all players!

Was it the offset that was causing the misses left?

i just spent a couple of hours talking with my pros (one with years of experience and an 'old school' view and a youngster who learns shaft specs for fun - good combo!) about where we are going with the lessons / fitting. As a leftie, the process takes a little while as we need to get the manufacturers to send out a variety of shaft head combos in left-handed versions. At the moment, G25 at the top of the bag looks favourite, and then a play off of the Cleveland's and the G25 down in the irons. Hybrids/long irons...that's for another thread!

If it was offset related, it was due to not setting up right I'm guessing. I could dial them in with a few swings on the range, but I always struggled when I took those first couple swings.

I actually played the G25s before adding the Altitudes to my bag. For me they played quite different. I liked the G25 from 7 iron down to PW but could not consistently hit the 5 and 6 iron. I didn't even add the 4 iron because of this. After a couple months I decided to try out the Altitudes after reading so many great reviews on THP. I haven't once regretted the decision to switch except that I didn't do it earlier. I can consistently hit every club in the set and get outstanding results from them. Yes they aren't very attractive clubs but the performance is what's most important to me. I'm personally going to try out the MT and TT clubs this Spring but if I'm not comfortable with them I'll stick with my Tudes.

Tappin' from my Samsung Note 3

I'm with you. If I can pull a 4 iron secure that I am likely to smack it high, handsome and straight then who cares what it looks like! In addition the usually fitting process around 6/7 iron, I'm insisting on a fitting around 3/4 too. Looking at the classic hybrid from Cleveland, the Ping line and the altitudes. Looks will only come into it if the performance difference is negligible. The fascinating thing is to be able to follow the advice from you and Hawk and try the 6 iron in all three head designs. I'm tempted to think that at the 'tipping points' between types, I might buy both...so if for example the 7 iron is MT or TT, then buy the MT and see if later down the line, I prefer the TT...decisions decisions!

If it was offset related, it was due to not setting up right I'm guessing. I could dial them in with a few swings on the range, but I always struggled when I took those first couple swings.

I have similar issues with my Adams. Always seems to 'naturally' setup closed if you see what I mean. No doubt it is the Indian, and within a few swings I could get it fixed too...problem is my playing partners won't let me hit three or four practice shots into the green with my hybrid! Something to do with the rules or something:beauty:. Really looking forward to swing all three head shapes and the Pings too

LOL. Exactly.

Not to turn this in to an Altitude thread, but there isn't a lot of offset on them. I actually rarely hit them left, and I typically am one who hooks hybrids. I mean, I don't doubt Hawk, please don't get me wrong, but I like these because they are hybrids that aren't hook monsters for me.

I don't know that it would be a bad idea to try a TT Altitude combo.

Not to turn this in to an Altitude thread, but there isn't a lot of offset on them. I actually rarely hit them left, and I typically am one who hooks hybrids. I mean, I don't doubt Hawk, please don't get me wrong, but I like these because they are hybrids that aren't hook monsters for me.

I don't know that it would be a bad idea to try a TT Altitude combo.

i don't think Hawk suggested offset...I did. My error not his; he's just too nice to call me a muppet!:clap:

just trawled through the Altitudes thread. Fascinating reading. Particularly seeing a bunch of low 'cappers game them right through the bag. Real food for thought.

I just picked up a used set at GG. The price was right and I couldn't resist. The numbers looked good on the launch monitor and they felt soooo smooth. I can't wait to try them on the course this week. 3,4, & 5 altitude and 6-PW 588 MT with graphite regular flex shafts.

I just picked up a used set at GG. The price was right and I couldn't resist. The numbers looked good on the launch monitor and they felt soooo smooth. I can't wait to try them on the course this week. 3,4, & 5 altitude and 6-PW 588 MT with graphite regular flex shafts.

Nice combo set!

Congrats on the new sticks, xray.

Can't wait to try my new 6 iron MT. Anyone try these against cobra amps?

Can't wait to try my new 6 iron MT. Anyone try these against cobra amps?
I have hit both of them and here are my thoughts.

The MT wins for me because of less dispersion. I could pure one on the Amp and have it fly an extra 15 yards--for me this is why I did not stay with the amp. I did not see this dispersion in the MT or the TT models. The faces of both are very similar feel with the MT offering more off center hit forgiveness--but on normal shots that had less dispersion for me than Amps. Outside of the 4 iron I will probably stick to the TT offering on my MC choice but some Cleveland tour players use that MT 4 iron and love it.

I have hit both of them and here are my thoughts.

The MT wins for me because of less dispersion. I could pure one on the Amp and have it fly an extra 15 yards--for me this is why I did not stay with the amp. I did not see this dispersion in the MT or the TT models. The faces of both are very similar feel with the MT offering more off center hit forgiveness--but on normal shots that had less dispersion for me than Amps. Outside of the 4 iron I will probably stick to the TT offering on my MC choice but some Cleveland tour players use that MT 4 iron and love it.

So in other words your saying I might not want my amps anymore. Dang can't wait.

Still leaning towards having one of these in the bag in the long iron spot. probably the 4.

It worked for a whole lot of Tour Players last year.

And they are a whole lot better than me haha. Sometimes I think we SHOULD look in their bags for some advice.....

And they are a whole lot better than me haha. Sometimes I think we SHOULD look in their bags for some advice.....

I've been thinking about this lately and in ways I agree. Perfect example is looking at what they are doing to make the game easier for them.

I've been thinking about this lately and in ways I agree. Perfect example is looking at what they are doing to make the game easier for them.

Exactly. Just because I can game a 4 iron, doesn't mean I should. Why make my life more difficult? Regardless of the rest of my iron set up, I'd say there is about a 95% chance of one of these being in my MC bag.

Exactly. Just because I can game a 4 iron, doesn't mean I should. Why make my life more difficult?

Sadly this is a question that can answer other questions that come up on the internet a whole lot.

So how does your 4 iron compare to a 4 hybrid for you?
Exactly. Just because I can game a 4 iron, doesn't mean I should. Why make my life more difficult? Regardless of the rest of my iron set up, I'd say there is about a 95% chance of one of these being in my MC bag.

So how does your 4 iron compare to a 4 hybrid for you?

This is the question that makes my interest in this club so high. I have gamed both. I like the control of an iron, but the distance and ease of a hybrid. Heck, I might go 5 iron here AND a 4 hybrid. Not sure yet, but I need to hit this iron soon to get an idea of where I want to go with it.

Back