Are Nike club really that bad??

stroud

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi, Im very new to this amazing sport ive only been playing a few months i started with a cheap set of dunlops and then a few weeks back i went to my local golf store to try out some irons i tried just about everything they had and i hit the Nike's the best!! i really like everything to match so i now have Nike everything!! now people on the course are saying Nike are rubbish and i wasted my money and they will never play well and i should sell them and get proper clubs like titleist or Taylormade! my Nike's cost me £1100!!! i hope this is not the case!?!? i was playing well but today i didn't! i think I've now got a downed on my clubs :-( and its affecting my game! just really looking for someone to say they are really good so i can be happy with them again haha

thanks

nick

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I feel if you hit them well then why not use them. I used to be laughed at with my putter that looked like it came from the 1780's, but I worked it well and could beat my mates with it so thats what counted.

To steal a football analogy, "let them laugh in the lockerooms, and beat them on the field".

I have no problem with Nike gear personally, I use their balls, and would use their putter if I could afford one.

There are plenty of THPers gaming Nike. They make a good club. That just sounds like ignorance to me. Pick the clubs you feel best with and play the hell outta them.

I also sometimes get caught up with buying or playing with what people think is the better piece of equipment. I buy it and eventually, I go back to what I was hitting best. You should feel lucky that at least you found a set that you do hit well. You had the opportunity to eliminate the doubt about other irons.

I bought a set of Ping G20's on recommendation. I felt like the I20's were going to be better for me but I listened to everyone else instead of what I thought in my head and didn't even try them. About 3 weeks later, I was at a driving range and they had a demo 7 iron I20 that they let me hit. I now own a set of G20's and I20's. My wife is just now starting to speak to me again. The moral of this story is go with your gut, not mates.

I have Nike irons. I hit lots of irons before I bought them. They fit me good.

"Proper clubs like Titleist or TaylorMade"?
One would have to ask what would make them proper clubs? The metal they use? Yeah its the same. The shape and styling? Seems similar to me. I wonder what these same people said a few decades ago when TaylorMade came on the scene? Did they say, "that stuff is garbage, get some proper gear like Macgregor or Ram."?

Sadly these opinions are too common.

Hi, Im very new to this amazing sport ive only been playing a few months i started with a cheap set of dunlops and then a few weeks back i went to my local golf store to try out some irons i tried just about everything they had and i hit the Nike's the best!! i really like everything to match so i now have Nike everything!! now people on the course are saying Nike are rubbish and i wasted my money and they will never play well and i should sell them and get proper clubs like titleist or Taylormade! my Nike's cost me £1100!!! i hope this is not the case!?!? i was playing well but today i didn't! i think I've now got a downed on my clubs :-( and its affecting my game! just really looking for someone to say they are really good so i can be happy with them again haha

thanks

nick

I am on my second set of Nike irons right now and love them. JB, Tadashi and several others on here play one Nike club or another. Like others have said go with what works best for you and lets your buddies see how well you hit them on the course.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Nike has gotten some bad knocks over the years and some it is well deserved. Over the past couple of years they have put out some quality product from the Method series of putters to their VR_S line of clubs and everything in between. Those that say Nike is rubbish really have no clue what they are talking about.

I have hit/owned every major brand. I would actually put Nike at the top in terms of favorite clubs. They are a fantastic club. Play what you hit best not what someone tells you to

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Can't talk about the irons, but have 2 drivers and a 3 wood. MachSpeed and VR Tour drivers. Not really happy with either. Voodoo & Fujikura shafts. Very hard feeling at impact and I hit a lot of low hooks with both regardless of shaft setting. In frustration bought a Mac M85T on sale at Golfsmith - $80. UST shaft. Love this thing. Feels good, sounds good and plenty long. Hooks are gone. Have read where the heads can snap off. That'll be a bummer.

Do have a VR Tour 3 wood that I like very much. Straight and long. Maybe it's just me. I may run out of money soon. Have a Cobra S3 driver coming.....fingers crossed. I'm an 80 shooter.

If you like them, play them, not a waste of money at all.

Remember when Honda/Toyota/Nissan were viewed as cheap Asian made vehicles? Just like in everything certain brands can get mislabelled. Be happy with your purchase. Although, it can be tough when the bulk of those you spend your time around on/off the course are narrow minded.

Don't let them screw with your feeling on your equipment. Whatever golf ball you're playing, they'd probably tell you to go buy titleist pro v1s because "it's the only good ball." U-huh.

You went to the shop and tried them out, these are the clubs that clicked. Now's the time to learn how to hit them (or those from any other manufacturer) properly.
You're new, having ups and downs is perfectly normal in golf. With more experience they will be less severe, but you will always go through them.
Worst thing to do is to listen to random berating comments about your equipment and buy new stuff. It's not the clubs.

Your friends are ignorant and don't know much about golf equipment, it seems. Keep enjoying your Nike's, they are solid sticks.

Your friends are ignorant and don't know much about golf equipment, it seems. Keep enjoying your Nike's, they are solid sticks.

My thoughts exactly. Every major OEM out there right now is putting out very solid products.

There are minor differences in lie angle and shaft length between manufacturers. You have obviously found your perfect match with the Nike's. Short of going through a complete fitting with Ping or other brands, I say ENJOY your Nike's!

I hate this trend amongst golfers. Nike Golf makes damn good products! I love all my Nike clubs and won't ever play anything else (unless I see a REALLY big change).

Nike Golf makes some of the (if not THE) most underrated products in golf, IMHO.

There are some out there, including me, that feel that Nike makes better clubs all around than some of those more traditional brands. Very few companies are as innovation as Nike. Tell your mates to put a banger in the mouth and stay quiet.

I've never owned a Nike club, but they seem okay to me. I wonder what makes Titleist or Taylormade more "proper" than Nike.

Don't listen to these "experts". They're the same golfers that play the ProV1s I find all over the course each time I play. This year's Nike lineup is as solid top to bottom as anything else in the market right now.

thanks

nick

Like any other OEM, Nike has made some good and bad equipment offerings. What really matters is not what others think, but how you feel about the products you use. Take others advice, as well as equipment reviews, with a grain of salt and try to experiment with equipment yourself.

I have a Nike Ignite driver that the guy in the pro shop laughed at me for playing.

I suppose he wouldn't laugh if he saw me hit it. Last time out I drove over a 285 yard par four and 3 holes later had 63 left to a 410 yard par 4. Hit what you hot well and ignore what "friends" tell you.

I use the Nike VR Pro Wedges and have had a ton of success with them. I didn't like them much at first but they've ended up being great for me! They make some quality clubs.

thanks guys and girls made me feel much better!! im smiling again!! i really do enjoy my clubs and i hit some amazing shots with them considering I've only been playing a few months!! and like i said i tried them all and for "me" these were the best!!

Back