Driver shaft requirements ? Regular or Stiff ?

kevinh

Reaction score
Handicap
I took some golf lessons this year and am so glad I did. My reason to go was to try to get my driver in play off the tee because I could manage from there. Like most instructors (I assume) he had me work on mid irons for longer than I wanted. Long story short I'm a much more consistent swinger of the golf club with all my clubs and thus lower scores. I feel more confident in my swing pattern now and have developed a high weakish fade with my driver only. It doesn't go out of bounds but it isn't straight. All my clubs are regular shaft. How do I know if I should be switching to a stiff driver shaft ? As you can see below I have a Burner Superfast 2.0 driver, not sure if it has something to do with shaft characteristics or what. Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

you should get fitted for a shaft for your driver. i know Golftec does it. they could tell you. do you know what your swing speed is?

sorry didn't know this was ask the pro section.

Gentlemen, again, this is the ask the pro section, please keep it clean until Golftec answers the question.

Edit. CB beat me too it.

Gentlemen, again, this is the ask the pro section, please keep it clean until Golftec answers the question.

We have a bet going here what percentage of the time someone replies to these posts before we get to them. Let's just say I'm closest and I bet 100%. Yes, I'm a gambling man.

Now on to bigger and better things: driver shafts.

Textbook answer: a driver shaft that is too weak for you will go left (sometimes high left), a shaft that is too stiff will typically go low right. So it sounds like it may not necessarily be a shaft issue.

I'd say get a driver-specific lesson (don't be afraid to ask for one) and see if it isn't just a manifestation of something that is "hidden" in the rest of the swings but rears it's ugly (think Colin Montgomery ugly) head when you get a longer club with less loft. It's also worth noting that Burner 2.0 drivers are 46 inches and your longest iron is in the 39" range. A lot can happen when you get 7" farther away from the ball.

I know that isn't specifically helpful swing-tip wise, but if anything, don't jump straight to changing shafts to fix this when it may just be a simple swing change.

Good Luck,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara

Thanks for the answer, i sold the driver and will get fitted for one when ready. I will likely take a lesson or two before that time. Appreciate your time and insight.

if it were me, keep the driver, get a stiffer and maybe heavier shaft. my old driver was a lighter head, light shaft, too whippy of a flex. moved into a heavier (but smaller) head, heavier (65g to 73g) and stiffer shaft (S to X) and it is a lot more consistant than the old driver. to exagerate a bit, you can't hit an L flex as as straight as you could hit an X stiff. maybe longer, but it's hard to keep it from whipping so much that it won't go spraying around. that's just my experience. stiffer you get, harder it is to whip the club.

Back