Cleveland Smart-Square Putter Review

For my third round in a row I've not putted well. It's certainly not the Smart Square itself and just my own head getting in the way. Had two 3-putts yesterday. But mentally I've become very very tentative on lag putts lately. I left several short by 6 to 12 feet yesterday. Again not the Smart Square just my own head full of rocks messing me up.

Without the Smart Square I think the putting round would have been far worse. Made three 2-putt saves from around 8 feet after poor first efforts. Also made two other solid 6-8 footers for 1 putts. Alignment is rock solid and the ball is rolling over my short and intermediate lines.

Got to get over this mental block I'm in on good putt speed. First several weeks of this testing I didn't have that happening.
Hearing about a bad putting round is never good, by any means. However, hearing that the Smart Square salvaged it somehow is impressive. Interesting to hear about your struggles on the lag putts, Barry, as this is one of the most improved areas I have found with the Smart Square. Any idea on what is causing this?

I have to say...I am dead on with this thing on my birdieball green. Been solid all winter so far since changing the grip.

I have said it before and will say it again, THPMC Cleveland staffers that choose this putter are immediately 1 up on their competition. I know these are hard to find in store (at least here) but if you haven't rolled one you need to do so at your earliest convenience.

Hearing about a bad putting round is never good, by any means. However, hearing that the Smart Square salvaged it somehow is impressive. Interesting to hear about your struggles on the lag putts, Barry, as this is one of the most improved areas I have found with the Smart Square. Any idea on what is causing this?

Ryan, it's pure mental block right now. I'm not seeing it on the putting green during warm-up for the round. Only when I'm out on the course once the round has started. It started from a round a had 3 weeks ago on my home course when greens were rolling extra fast and pins were cut in tough spots.

My plan is to put in some extended putting practice next weekend and over the holidays to see if I can get over it.

I had amazing lag putting with the Smart Square during my first 3 to 4 weeks of testing.

Ryan, it's pure mental block right now. I'm not seeing it on the putting green during warm-up for the round. Only when I'm out on the course once the round has started. It started from a round a had 3 weeks ago on my home course when greens were rolling extra fast and pins were cut in tough spots.

My plan is to put in some extended putting practice next weekend and over the holidays to see if I can get over it.

I had amazing lag putting with the Smart Square during my first 3 to 4 weeks of testing.

I'd suggest rolling a lot of putts with your eye's closed. Recover some feel!!

Havent been on the course in about a week, but needed to clear my head so I spent some time doing some garage putting this evening with the Smart Square. While it's not on course testing, I still thought I would add some thoughts in here.

1. The squares have become second nature for me when it comes to alignment. I find that I no longer have to double check my alignment, as I have become "trained" to get the face square at address.

2. I took the opportunity to roll this compared to my T-Frame and it's milled face. While I am a fan of the milling that Cleveland has done on their putters for years, and was surprised that the SS didn't have a milled face like their previous lines, I have to say that the insert they have in the SS putter is a nice change of pace from some of their other offerings. Not too "soft" if you will, and a nice audible click that provides instant feedback when you make your putting stroke.,

3. The 400g model I have is just about as perfect as I can get on weight with a putter. I find that the weight of the head allows my putting stroke to be quite accurate and stay "on line" during my stroke back and thru. Watching the squares stay...square.. during my stroke is a thing of beauty.

Overall, for me, this is possibly one of the best putters I have ever had in the bag. Performance doesn't lie, and the design (mallet style), weight (heavier @ 400g) and alignment aide, is just about a perfect combination of what I look for in a putter. Cleveland did it right with this one, and I don't see it leaving my bag for a while.

I need to roll your 400g model Beags, just to see/feel.

I agree 1000% on the insert, such a MASSIVE improvement in direction for Cleveland there this year.

I need to roll your 400g model Beags, just to see/feel.

I agree 1000% on the insert, such a MASSIVE improvement in direction for Cleveland there this year.

It will be in the bag in January dude. I think you will like it. Hell, I think most people would love the 400g model I have. It just sets up so well with the dual axis alignment and the heft of the putter head just seems to make the putting stroke sooo smooth.

37 putts today and shot 85

no excuses, started off with a long birdie roll in on #1, but hit some bad putts later in the round. Wasn't the SS's fault. Still really liking this putter. Only my second full round using it.

37 putts today and shot 85

no excuses, started off with a long birdie roll in on #1, but hit some bad putts later in the round. Wasn't the SS's fault. Still really liking this putter. Only my second full round using it.
Just gotta think back to that birdie on #1 dude! Glad to hear you are liking this one.

I NEED to roll this bad boy

Weather and work travel kept me from getting any rounds in this weekend with the Smart Square. We are supposed to have better weather this week so I'm going to get out on my lunch breaks and roll through some drills on the practice green.

Weather and work travel kept me from getting any rounds in this weekend with the Smart Square. We are supposed to have better weather this week so I'm going to get out on my lunch breaks and roll through some drills on the practice green.

How does this putter feel after a small break? Like taking some days off- does it feel good and come right back or does it take a few hours to feel good again ? Let me know how it goes

Finally got a chance to try this out this weekend. I cannot believe how well the squares frame the ball. It is absolutely amazing. I know thats not a revolutionary thought but I was a bit skeptical but it really does flat out work.

Finally got a chance to try this out this weekend. I cannot believe how well the squares frame the ball. It is absolutely amazing. I know thats not a revolutionary thought but I was a bit skeptical but it really does flat out work.

TOLD YOU! :alien:

TOLD YOU! :alien:

One of those things where you have to see it to believe it. I was never a fan of the 2-ball design as it just never fit my eye or worked for me. The squares frame the round ball so well. They should really steal the tag line from Hollywood Squares. "Circle gets the square" Haha

Got to roll the 400 gram head at golf galaxy. I was putting a much better swing on it than I do the one I have. May have to add some lead tape and see what I can do

I dont think I have heard anyone say "the squares dont work" yet.

Got to roll the 400 gram head at golf galaxy. I was putting a much better swing on it than I do the one I have. May have to add some lead tape and see what I can do
I think that would be a good idea, Rob. Especially with your success with a heavier putter head earlier this year. Give it a try and see!

Heck no. Even the pro at my course who literally laughed when I pulled the HC off of the putter came away saying how remarkably well the squares aided alignment. It just works.

Heck no. Even the pro at my course who literally laughed when I pulled the HC off of the putter came away saying how remarkably well the squares aided alignment. It just works.
Indeed it does. Just a great setup, and one that is on a head shape that I happen to LOVE.

Indeed it does. Just a great setup, and one that is on a head shape that I happen to LOVE.

I've said it umpteen times now, but I cannot wait to roll yours next month.

That's a good point Ryan, it seems like it's an innovation everyone can see the benefit of!

That's a good point Ryan, it seems like it's an innovation everyone can see the benefit of!
Reading what Cleveland Golf has put out on this one related to the concept behind the dual axis alignment method aka squares, is pretty interesting stuff. Being able to use one alignment aide for multiple different alignments is...well, genius.

Smart Squares, for me, give me to immediate reads at address;

1. Club face square to ball and square to target. (front and back lines of the square)
2. Putter head and ball square on my line to the target. (top and bottom of squares)

It just works.

This is very interesting I know I definitely miss some putts due to alignment. I currently use a blade putter though and I wonder what the adjustment to the mallet would be like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back