Getting your rounds in?

barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys I'm looking for some advice from the fathers out there. I found out recently that I am expecting my first child (well my partner is) this May which I am so excited about. Obviously when that news comes out you become the brunt of any jokes such as "no more golf for you" haha. It got me thinking, family comes first but how do you manage to squeeze in your games of golf and play enough that your level does not drop? I work hard on my golf and love my time on the course and I will love family time but I don't wanna be one of these guys who only plays once a month.

any advice would be great, thanks

Hi guys I'm looking for some advice from the fathers out there. I found out recently that I am expecting my first child (well my partner is) this May which I am so excited about. Obviously when that news comes out you become the brunt of any jokes such as "no more golf for you" haha. It got me thinking, family comes first but how do you manage to squeeze in your games of golf and play enough that your level does not drop? I work hard on my golf and love my time on the course and I will love family time but I don't wanna be one of these guys who only plays once a month.

any advice would be great, thanks

There a tricky balance when it comes to family and golf, along with maintaining you current level of play. I can personally say you're level will drop off no matter what unless you have a wife that doesn't mind you going to the golf course when you want. For me personally there are days all I want to do is play a round of golf but don't have the time, so I hit the range and practice for a hour or two. I find myself practicing a lot more than playing because I squeeze every second I can out of the day to be at the course. If it mean 30 minutes putter that's all I can do but it does get easier as they get a little older. Like you said family comes first, and this is how I see it.... you will have to give up a few years until he/she gets into the game and will join you on the course. My oldest is four and all he wants to do is go to the course with me. Enjoy your kids because they do grow up fast and golf will be with your forever. Just my $.02 and congratulations on the new baby!

There a tricky balance when it comes to family and golf, along with maintaining you current level of play. I can personally say you're level will drop off no matter what unless you have a wife that doesn't mind you going to the golf course when you want. For me personally there are days all I want to do is play a round of golf but don't have the time, so I hit the range and practice for a hour or two. I find myself practicing a lot more than playing because I squeeze every second I can out of the day to be at the course. If it mean 30 minutes putter that's all I can do but it does get easier as they get a little older. Like you said family comes first, and this is how I see it.... you will have to give up a few years until he/she gets into the game and will join you on the course. My oldest is four and all he wants to do is go to the course with me. Enjoy your kids because they do grow up fast and golf will be with your forever. Just my $.02 and congratulations on the new baby!

I will second that thought. It will seem like a long time when the baby is young and you are looking to the future. But when the child is grown and you look back it will seem like a very short time they spent with you.

I have the luxury to play during the weekdays so I play at noon 2 days a week.

As the kids get older, it is easier to get out of the house to play because they are more self sufficient. The problem then is that they always need to be driven somewhere for some club, sport, etc.

I rarely play golf on the weekends so I can spend time with the family. The other reason I don't play golf on the weekends is I can't stand to play a 5 to 6 hour round of golf on the same course I can play in 3 hours during the weekdays. I hate slow play, especially when I know I left the wife with the kids.

Many thanks for the reply guys, I know I won't be able to play as much but since I work for myself then maybe I can play during the day just like Sighman 23 has said. I suppose there is only one way of finding out what will happen and that will be when May comes swinging round, scuse the pun!

I play about one or two Saturday's per month in the morning so that a good chunk of the time I'm away is when he goes down for is late-morning nap. (He's 17 months right now and naps from maybe 10am to 1 pm or some portion thereof.) That way I have the rest of the day with him and my wife. I also try to take one day off during the week at some point each month and play on those days so that I'm not missing any normal family time at all for those. Honestly, there are days on the course when things aren't going great and all I want to do is go home so I can see my little boy. Golf isn't as important once you have a baby, especially if you're just a normal weekend hack with no delusions of ever being "good". :)

With everything going on for the holidays and the way things have worked out, my most recent round was Nov 9th and I probably won't be able to play again any time before Dec 24th if I'm lucky, maybe not until Dec 29th. I'd love to play more, but I know that I at least get to spend time with the boy and that is more important and more awesome. Watching him learn and grow and experience new things is like seeing a miracle every day, and not even a hole in one can come close to that in the grand scheme of things.

Couple things but as others have noted, enjoy your children, they do grow fast. 1.) get a club in your new born's hands as quickly as possible. The sooner you can take them with you, the better for them and for you, from a relationship and golf perspective. 2.) Find a course that lets you out very, very early and play your rounds before the family wakes up. I used to play at the crack of dawn and be home within an hour of them waking up. (Obviosuly this is dependent upon the sleep habits of your new-born baby) Congrats on your addition.

Some great advice here, i appreciate you taking the time out to reply. I'm sure it will work out fine and I know family comes first but i sure love my golf :act-up:. I am lucky to have a great family round me that love their sport also which will allow me to duck out for a few hours whilst the baby is sleeping to at least get some practice in.

You are either going to be one of those guys or a good father. Play all you can while you are expecting. Take the night feedings do your partner can sleep, that gives you a pass to grab a quick 9 or 18. No warm up or drinks after. But the bottom line is when your child is born your atitude will change. Nothing else will matter. Your life will chage in ways you never knew and you will love like you have never loved.

I love golf but I love my children and family more. These decisions will become clearer to you once your child is born.

I have 3 little ones now, including a 2 year old and 8 month old. When my oldest was born I had to sacrifice some other activities (no more basketball and softball leagues), and limit my golf to 1 round on the weekend bright and early. I try to sneak out during the week when my work schedule allows, and when I play I golf I hang around for 1 beer then split. If I can't play golf due to a family function or one of my kid's activities, I don't make a big deal about it. I'm lucky in that my wife likes to do things with her friends that I have no interest in (like shopping), and her mom is close by whom I have no interest in spending all day with!

First of all, when it's family time, it's family time. If you are there and engaged you'll find a lot more leniency when it comes time to go play. Also, both of you are going to need a break, so make sure you extend (and sometimes demand) that she gets the hell out of the house to pursue whatever it is she likes. Ideally that same thing will be extended to you in return. Make a plan of the days/times that are yours, hers, and the family's. If everybody knows what to expect, they are usually a lot better off. At least that's how it works for me.

I play after work during the week a time or two. Just quick nine hole rounds and I'm home in time for dinner. Then I play Sunday mornings as long as the weather cooperates. For me, the earlier the better. I'm up at the crack of dawn anyway (you'll see what I mean soon hehehe), so I try to tee off as soon as the sun is up so I'm back home before lunch.

Communication and reciprocation are your friends. Good luck!

I'll also say that parents that can have time to themselves are almost always happier. You need a little time to get away and rejuvinate. Is that going to happen right away? Probably not. Still, you can find a way to do it.

I have my second little one of the way in March. Because golf is a recreational activity, it takes a very distant second place to family. You may be worried now about missing rounds, but once your little one arrives you will probably forget about golf for a bit. And that's ok. But making some time to recahrge the batteries is important, but that didn't mean every weekend for me.

I know this, if I ever put off my responsibilties as a father because I wanted to get a round in, I would have to take a good look in the mirror and ask if I am happy with myself. Not saying you will, but just for my sake. I did some quick math, in 2013 I bet that I get in 6 rounds of golf. Lots of range time during the week, but rounds will be few and far between.

For me, I figure out when to get out there on, "off time," when my daughter is sleeping or at day care. I started playing my rounds during the week, when it was less crowded and took less time, and then would be able to spend time with the family during the weekends. On those occasions I play during the weekends, I go very early so I'm able to spend most of the day with them. Happy hours, other recreational actvities, basically came to an end, which I was fine with, since I was still able to golf. Range time is easier because you can usually fit that in during nap time.

Now I belong to a 9 hole club minutes away from where I work, so will get in more golf without it taking the entire day.

Like others have said and I agree with, it's important to have some away time to recharge, for both of you, and the more you engage in being a parent the more you'll enjoy a little time away at the course.

I'd probably wait at least a few months before doing anything, and you'll likely not want to anyways.

GL and Congrats!

Very good question and there is an answer depending on your situation. Personally, I do everything I can during the week to help with the kiddos. I give the baths, I help put them kids to bed, I do the dishes, I help with the laundry, I go get the groceries and most important I let her get out of the house (girls night or happy hour at work or simply just running errands by herself) when I'm there. That makes it much easier for her to stomach when I tell her I have a tee time at 9am Saturday morning.

Another thing, play early in the morning or late in the evening......that helps.

You are either going to be one of those guys or a good father. Play all you can while you are expecting. Take the night feedings do your partner can sleep, that gives you a pass to grab a quick 9 or 18. No warm up or drinks after. But the bottom line is when your child is born your atitude will change. Nothing else will matter. Your life will chage in ways you never knew and you will love like you have never loved.

I love golf but I love my children and family more. These decisions will become clearer to you once your child is born.

This answer is truly excellent.

I understand what your all saying I need to pitch in and do more than my bit to earn time to nip away for some golf but most importantly i need to put my kid first which will happen no question. I suppose i need to be more productive with my time, instead of sitting on my backside watching the tv at night i can have my range time then. My partner is awesome and she is more than happy for me to golf likewise i'm happy for her when she wants to go shopping etc. I'm sure it'll all work out when the wee one arrives.
My old man says exactly what you guys are saying, that nothing else will matter when he/she arrives but introduce them to the game to spend time with them but most importantly you will put your family first without thinking. I'm also fortunate my father likes to nip away every 2 weeks for a round during the day.
I do appreciate all the feedback, it's good to hear what other people do.

Many thanks for the reply guys, I know I won't be able to play as much but since I work for myself then maybe I can play during the day just like Sighman 23 has said. I suppose there is only one way of finding out what will happen and that will be when May comes swinging round, scuse the pun!

I also work for myself and so I do almost all my golfing during the week. That really helps a lot I must say. I rarely golf on the weekends as I want to be with my wife and daughter.

I think in a relationship it's a good idea to discuss these things ahead of time. Let her know that YOU BOTH will need some ME time. Give her some time to get out with her friends and be genuine about her having fun and getting out. Then you will find your time going golfing will be so much more fun knowing she's cool with it. That's what works for Stacey and I. I always encourage her to get some time with her friends and it just works out that she lets me go golfing pretty much when I want. My wife is so freak'n awesome when it comes to my golf addiction! I think you will be see how healthy it is for your relationship if you both get some time to do what you enjoy outside of changing diapers and talking baby talk. :)

I just want to say congratulations. I have no advice for you. :D

Let her know that YOU BOTH will need some ME time. Give her some time to get out with her friends and be genuine about her having fun and getting out. Then you will find your time going golfing will be so much more fun knowing she's cool with it.

i really like this and agree, you enjoy things more when there is no guilt

I just want to say congratulations. I have no advice for you. :D

cheers mate haha

I actually practice more because she always wants to come out and it gives my wife a break. She's 3 but our daddy-daughter time includes lots of golf time which I'm very thankful for and hope it continues.

I have read most the post but not all so if this has been said forgive me. I go to my club later in the night, enough time to play 9, and take the wife and kids with me. We all walk, wife pushes the stroller with the baby I play and walk and my four year tags along hitting balls when he can. It's not the most peaceful round but you're out playing and with the family. We all enjoy it and its some fun family time.

Tapaway!

I have read most the post but not all so if this has been said forgive me. I go to my club later in the night, enough time to play 9, and take the wife and kids with me. We all walk, wife pushes the stroller with the baby I play and walk and my four year tags along hitting balls when he can. It's not the most peaceful round but you're out playing and with the family. We all enjoy it and its some fun family time.

Tapaway!

This is a great idea, going for a walk in the fresh air and keeping fit.

Back