The Official Counterfeit Thread

Post the name of the seller if you can, so we'll know who to avoid. A common trick that dealers in counterfeits use is to immediately refund the money of anyone who questions them, in the hopes of avoiding detection in the marketplace. (Like the guy with the fake GP grips). I'm guessing that since you're in the UK, this vendor was probably ASIA based and willing to ship worldwide. That's warning sign no. 1. In fact, while I'm at it. Let me post a few of my rules of thumb for avoiding counterfeits while buying on-line. Just the basic basics, not a primer for spotting fakes, which gets complicated.

1. Never buy anything from vendors in Asia. Meaning China, Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand. Japan sellers are okay for pricey JP market specialty stuff. Australia is okay. This tip alone will eliminate most of your problems.
2. Never buy anything based on stock photos unless a seller is selling NEW from the US and is reputable. Always look for actual photos on Ebay.
3. Never buy anything from new, lesser-known, pop-up .com vendors. With so many big, known vendors like 2balls, golfgalaxy, golfsmith, why risk these unknowns?
4. Never buy anything from a site displaying bad or broken english. That's a tip-off that it's really China based or using shills in California as drop-ship proxies.
5. Be aware that counterfeiters like to knock off high profit easy-to-make single items, not low-profit hard to make items. That means a Cameron putter is MUCH more likely to be faked than a set of Ping irons.
6. When in doubt, consult the manufacturers lists of approved vendors. Call them and ask. They won't tell you who's on the "naughty" list, but they will confirm is someone's on the nice list.

Hope this helps somewhat

Also on eBay, ask the seller for a serial number. In my experience with Callaway a quick call to customer service and they'll verify the serial number for you.

Ok guys I’m new to this forum. Hopefully I can pick up some tips to help me improve my game but that’s not the reason for this post.

I went to the local sports stores to hit some clubs to see what felt good to me and ended up at a range that was having a demo day. They had the Nike’s Covert 2.0’s and when I hit them it felt so good that by the time I left the range I had my mind made up that these were the clubs I wanted.

Here is my concern. I bought a set of Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Irons and Driver off of eBay a couple of days ago. I got a “deal” that was a little better than what I would have gotten at the pro shop. I haven’t received them yet, but I started looking through the guys “reputation” and over the past year he’s had a few people say they received counterfeit clubs. How would I know if the clubs I get from him are counterfeits? I would really hate to get ripped off.

Ok guys I’m new to this forum. Hopefully I can pick up some tips to help me improve my game but that’s not the reason for this post.

I went to the local sports stores to hit some clubs to see what felt good to me and ended up at a range that was having a demo day. They had the Nike’s Covert 2.0’s and when I hit them it felt so good that by the time I left the range I had my mind made up that these were the clubs I wanted.

Here is my concern. I bought a set of Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Irons and Driver off of eBay a couple of days ago. I got a “deal” that was a little better than what I would have gotten at the pro shop. I haven’t received them yet, but I started looking through the guys “reputation” and over the past year he’s had a few people say they received counterfeit clubs. How would I know if the clubs I get from him are counterfeits? I would really hate to get ripped off.

First of welcome
Ask him for the Serial# and call Nike the should be able to tell you if the deal is to good to be true then it probable is

He has been removed by ebay he was based in the uk, at least he got his money back through paypal.

I bought some of those fake grips last year. Email the seller and told him they were fake and he refunded my money plus the shipping cost. I believe he knew they were fake, he didn't want ebay to get involved.

The guy I bought these grips from on ebay is powershank, don't deal with him. He is still selling grips at the same price I bought mine.

:welcome: Check them immediately, you have Paypal and ebay as your friend for a short while after you receive a product. Don't delay if they are counterfeit, start the process as soon as you know they are fakes and you will get your money back.

anyone have any experience with aboveallgolf on ebay? looks like they have a stand alone website too - http://www.aboveallgolf.com/

their feedback on ebay looks good other than shipping issues.

I haven't dealt with them but they have a physical address and phone number so they are probably ok. Do a better business search on them and you should be good to go.

After you receive the clubs you can take them to an "authorized retailer" (in my area its Dicks for most brands). They will inspect the clubs for free and let you know if they're legit.

This works for most major brands, not just Nike, FYI everyone.

Might as well post this here...I got too good of a deal on an item. The transaction coincided with eBay getting hacked, so I don't know if it was counterfeit or the hack (which is why I don't want to post the sellers info). Anyway, I haven't received the item and have opened a claim. Some things I never knew...if you pay with PayPal your buyer protection is only through them, not eBay. The process is slow. The seller gets 2 weeks to respond to the initial communication. Each company has different rules for how soon you have to open a claim. My impression is the eBay protection is more effective because it carries bigger incentives to sellers to make things right. In the future I will likely pay by CC directly instead of PP in order to preserve the eBay protection.

Would anyone be able to tell me whether or not these are fake? They are on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Titleist-Desi...V1AQ/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1ZE3EMWZXDPWU

FYI,
I went to the link and saw the same information other posters stated as far as the Hong Kong location and poor English. Additionally, the "in Stock" notices by a certain date for production items just screamed scam to me. I clicked on the seller link and saw numerous Vokeys, Cleveland 588 wedges, heads only for Titleist and Callaway irons and a TM SLDR and numerous models of Golf Pride grips...I have been the victim of a counterfeit club in the past and I got pissed.

I spent the afternoon contacting the OEM and forwarding them the links. About an hour after forwarding the information to Titleist I heard back from an attorney in their fraud department asking if I had ordered the item and was needing assistance in contacting the "supplier" for a refund. I told him I have not and relayed the information about this thread and stated my experience in the past with a counterfeit club and I just wanted to pass on the information. He thanked me and stated they have contacts with Customs and Border Protection and they will forward the information to them. Who knows, maybe something can be done and the shipments can be impounded.
I have received replies from half of the other OEM contacted and was thanked for providing them the information.

Don't be afraid to reach out to the customer service departments of OEM if you think you have something that is fake.

I'm even wary of things like the Bushnell laser range finders and the voice caddies, and other electronics. I see a lot of ebay posts with these at
10-15% less than anywhere else. They always start at .99 and get bids like anything else
And end up close to msrp but enough that someone would bite on them to save a few bucks. I emailed one of the vendors and they told me they were a wholesaler and that's how they can sell them for less. I ran away! I just don't trust things like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might as well post this here...I got too good of a deal on an item. The transaction coincided with eBay getting hacked, so I don't know if it was counterfeit or the hack (which is why I don't want to post the sellers info). Anyway, I haven't received the item and have opened a claim. Some things I never knew...if you pay with PayPal your buyer protection is only through them, not eBay. The process is slow. The seller gets 2 weeks to respond to the initial communication. Each company has different rules for how soon you have to open a claim. My impression is the eBay protection is more effective because it carries bigger incentives to sellers to make things right. In the future I will likely pay by CC directly instead of PP in order to preserve the eBay protection.

Update time. Avoid this seller: tricky250cr / Alex Shafer / Gocommando8@outlook.com

Last edited:
So I got my clubs today. Unfortunately, Nike no longer authenticates their clubs. They look legit so I think I'm OK.

There's a special on counterfeit clubs Monday night on the golf channel. Might be really informative.

Have been playing TM Lethal for more than a year and pick up the Practice marked ones whenever I see them at a good deal. Noticed a different alignment mark on one today " <.LETHAL.>". All the other Lethals I have do not have the dots in the alignment mark. Any cause for concern ?

I just purchased a new in plastic Callaway Razr X Black driver from Ebay seller ksouth9. After paying, I did a quick google search and found that he was busted in the past for selling fakes.
After closely examining the auction photos against photos from other websites, I am VERY skeptical as to the authenticity of the club. The "y" in Callaway looks different from the authentic version, but it looks remarkably similar to a counterfeit version from a Chinese website (which can easily be purchased by US sellers). Also, the face logo looks different to me (though it's a bit hard to tell due to the plastic). The original has an 'X' on the front with a shorter distance between the lines of the x on the top left and bottom right. The others look like its the same distance between lines (if that makes sense). Attatched are some photos of the clubs in question. The first link are photos from an auction that appear to use the same exact photos as my auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RIGHT-H...00756384241?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item5d4ef121f1

This is a counterfeit Chinese site--note the similarity of the Y, and note the difference in the following pictures.

http://www.china-direct-buy.com/v/4...CK_golf_club_driver_wood_sets.html#normal_img

This is from Golf.com--note the way the y is a bit sharper, has that little tail at the top left.

http://www.golf.com/equipment/callaway-razr-x-black-driver

What do you think? Should I be nervous?

Last edited:
Seller brent0504 provided this answer when I asked for a serial number so I could confirm authenticity. Avoid / proceed with caution if you choose to buy from him.

"I dont even entertain that question anymore. No offense to you. I buy all my stuff from edwin watts or Sellingers power golf."

Seller brent0504 provided this answer when I asked for a serial number so I could confirm authenticity. Avoid / proceed with caution if you choose to buy from him.

"I dont even entertain that question anymore. No offense to you. I buy all my stuff from edwin watts or Sellingers power golf."

What an awesome answer by him. Good thing a counterfeit has never made it into the used sections of those places huh?

Edwin Watts is still in business?

While I'm not going to buy from him, in the interest of full disclosure he sent a subsequent message saying he had the number but was on the road and could provide it later, and that he sent the first message because he's had buyers get mad at him for not being able to immediately provide the number.

New to this. Has anyone identified B2GolfSales.com as legit? Their prices are just too low to believe.

New to this. Has anyone identified B2GolfSales.com as legit? Their prices are just too low to believe.

Looks fake to me, I'd avoid.

Domain's owned by someone in Belgium, for what it's worth. Doesn't appear to be hosted in the US either.

Has anyone bought golf bag from http://www.cheapgolfbagstore.com ? The price isn't extremely cheap to ring any fake alarm but they are the only ones willing to ship the bag to my country. Appreciate it if anyone who has bought from them could chime in.

Back