Hitting a "Controlled" Fade or Draw

If I really want to I can take a side out of play and hit either a right to left or a left to right shot. The problem though is I can't really control how far in that direction it goes. Sometimes(rarely) it works perfectly but more often I overdo it when trying to shape something.

I am much better off just trying to hit straight so I don't try and shape anything that often.

While I've eliminated the dreadful SLICE, I learned to sort of control my fade from outside the left edge to about ten feet into the short grass, on the left. I say sort of, because I still miss on occasion, but the shot works for me much more often than not. I can't for the life of me hit a hook or draw... controlled or otherwise. That's a golf shot I always enjoy watching, and envy, as it bends around a dogleg left.

I have a natural fade. I know why I fade the ball, however ive never had the desire to fix or alter my swing. When needed I can attempt a draw..not always with success and with a little trick the panda told me I can manage a straight ball when so called apon.

As far as the op's question.. I would say some clubs do have weighting and texhnology designed to hit the ball straighter but I personally havnt met a club I couldnt fade

I can make the ball go right to left at amy time, from any place and with any club with more tham 3 degrees loft. Can I control how much right to left it goes every time? Not a chance! Left to right ball flight at times can be achieved by me with a wood (about 50% success rate but with little placement control). Left to right with an iron....forget about it!

I can make the ball go right to left at amy time, from any place and with any club with more tham 3 degrees loft. Can I control how much right to left it goes every time? Not a chance! Left to right ball flight at times can be achieved by me with a wood (about 50% success rate but with little placement control). Left to right with an iron....forget about it!

So in a best ball situation we've got it covered.

So in a best ball situation we've got it covered.

I should have added that hitting over a vast wasteland my ball will tail right just enough to not quite clear it....

I think amateurs put way to much emphasis on trying to "work" the ball. Give me a consistent shot, whether it be a fade or a draw or straight, and let me play. I don't go up to a hole that bends right or left and say "Watch me cut or draw around this dog-leg." I think it's a waste of time to try to "work" on that when there are probably 5-6 other things I could use my time to work on. This is just my opinion of course, and you know what they say about opinions...Everyone's got 'em!

most people work the ball one way their natural shape. i havent seen very many people that can hit fades and draws on command. most people would be better off just hitting thier shape and accounting for it.

for example i play a fade and last week at the fort on number #2 it was a hard dogleg to the left and i decided i was going to hit a draw and sling it in there. i proceded to hit a dead straight rope off the tree about 220 yards it bounced back twards us into the bunker. i would have been better off just hitting less club and taking it down the left and letting my natural fade bring it back.

most people work the ball one way their natural shape. i havent seen very many people that can hit fades and draws on command. most people would be better off just hitting thier shape and accounting for it.

for example i play a fade and last week at the fort on number #2 it was a hard dogleg to the left and i decided i was going to hit a draw and sling it in there. i proceded to hit a dead straight rope off the tree about 220 yards it bounced back twards us into the bunker. i would have been better off just hitting less club and taking it down the left and letting my natural fade bring it back.

Couldnt agree more. I usually get myself in trouble when I think hey I can go the otherway...

My natural shot is a fade, so that is what I play with driver/woods. I can hit a draw when needed. All it takes for me is a stronger grip, ball back a little more in my stance and a slightly closed stance. Not all the hard. Little harder off a tight lie, but it can be done. Easy off the tee. With hybrids and irons, it is all about just hitting it straight, which for me is all about a normal grip and setup and just swinging through the ball. The shorter the club, the harder it is to hit a draw or un-natural shot for me.

I have the opposite situation. I find it darn near impossible to hit a draw with a hybrid/3w/driver, I play cuts or straight balls with all of them. All my irons, even up to the sand wedge I play a nice little draw. Sometimes I like to play those big sweeping hooks into par 3's, sometimes they hook too much though, but it's fun nonetheless.

I have the opposite situation. I find it darn near impossible to hit a draw with a hybrid/3w/driver, I play cuts or straight balls with all of them. All my irons, even up to the sand wedge I play a nice little draw. Sometimes I like to play those big sweeping hooks into par 3's, sometimes they hook too much though, but it's fun nonetheless.

This is me too sort of. I can draw my hybo well, irons alittle and driver NOT AT ALL

This is me too sort of. I can draw my hybo well, irons alittle and driver NOT AT ALL

I have been working on the hybrid, but mostly it just goes dead straight (which of course I won't complain about!). But yeah, there is something about the driver, only time I can make it move left to right (I am a lefty) is when it is a straight up over the top hook into the woods.

I have been working on the hybrid, but mostly it just goes dead straight (which of course I won't complain about!). But yeah, there is something about the driver, only time I can make it move left to right (I am a lefty) is when it is a straight up over the top hook into the woods.

yup or a dead pull. It's so weird. Most people that I know aren't like us. They can move driver, but nothing else.

I feel like you can get around most courses with one shot shape and if you have a serious dog leg here or there you play to the fat part and most importantly never play a shot you are not confident with, only bad things happen most of the time

I don't want any ball flight other than straight. It's the hardest trajectory to come by, for me at any rate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me I can control a draw better than a fade but i can hit both i just don't always know how big of a fade i might be hitting and some times i over draw the ball

What I like about hitting a natural fade is it takes the left side out of play every hole for me which is a good thing. I very very rarely pull hook a tee shot, but hitting a draw off the tee when needed is not all that hard to do with any long club.

I work with what I've got. At the minute, that's a nice little draw. Next week, my fade could come back. It's very rare I try and work the ball as usually when I try, I balls it up LOL.

I have recently been playing a fade. With my driver, I can draw it a bit when the hole I'm playing warrants it. All I do now is, open the face of the club a tad, aim slightly left, and swing away. Release the club and watch a nice cut shot about 5 yards go out there. A thing of beauty. I got this tip from a young fellow that was featured on the Golf Channel.

I have days where the stars align and I can shape the ball flight. The next round after one of those days is usually one of the worst because I'm trying to recreate it. I have a natural draw, so I have to keep telling myself to just go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me on the range I can hit a 50 balls with the irons and fade all of them right where i want, go on the course and it is a draw (or hook) from the 1st iron shot on. Can't call up a fade on the course, at least not yet. I know how to do it from a technical point of view but somehow the body won't let it happen.
Has to be a tension induced swing change, same grip, same stance, but that is why the lessons start next week. Find some logic besides just changing clubs and trying to buy a better game.

I should have added that hitting over a vast wasteland my ball will tail right just enough to not quite clear it....

I vegly remember a similar situation where both balls tailed a little right...I was just staying with my partner... thats my story. I cant wait to challenge that hole again.

I vegly remember a similar situation where both balls tailed a little right...I was just staying with my partner... thats my story. I cant wait to challenge that hole again.

Sometimes it is better to learn from you partners missteps and take the smart route.... I am definitely clubbing up 1 over what I am inclined to hit next time I play that glorious hole.

Sometimes it is better to learn from you partners missteps and take the smart route.... I am definitely clubbing up 1 over what I am inclined to hit next time I play that glorious hole.

Im still letting you hit first :)

Back