Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Well so far, I'm rather disappointed in the clubs and in myself. It seems like when I swing these clubs, I hit the ground right before around 50% of the time. Then when I don't, the ball seems to have a consistent fade or slice. I never did this with my old irons, ever. I'm not sure if this is because I'm still adjusting to the new clubs or what. I know that the "extra length" isn't the problem because they are almost exactly the same length of my old irons.

For being game improvement irons, they have only hurt my game this far, although I have only been out to the range twice. Also, at this point, they are going the same distance as my old ones, if not, shorter.

I'm almost ready to give up on them already and go back to my old ones. This is rather frustrating. I'm going to see if I can get to a range where I can hit off of some grass this weekend. Maybe I'll do better then.

I struggled the first two times at the range. I was pretty frustrated also. Then I took them out for a round and hit them much better. From that point on, I have been hitting the heck out of them.

That sucks Jiffish. Unlike you, I never had an adjustment period to them, and when I struggle with them, I know its me and not them. When my swing is on, these clubs are point and shoot. I just got back from my 5 day golf trip playing 7 rounds of golf and played great for only starting golf 3 months ago. Couldn't hit my driver so teed off with my Di11 4i the last 4 rounds... Fairways all day long! Played my best round ever 2 days ago with these, shot a 94, beating my mates who demolished me a month ago.

Shot a 46 yesterday. Blew up on the last two holes, with a double and triple bogey. Played pretty good other than that. Still hitting the irons good. It was the driver that got me in trouble.

So for everyone who has jumped onto the Di11 bandwagon, which part of the set do you like the most/least? For me it was surprisingly the wedges. I struggled with the long irons which really shocked me as I always think that the GI sets mainly are more beneficial on the longer irons and not the scoring irons. The scoring irons in this set are great

Well so far, I'm rather disappointed in the clubs and in myself. It seems like when I swing these clubs, I hit the ground right before around 50% of the time. Then when I don't, the ball seems to have a consistent fade or slice. I never did this with my old irons, ever. I'm not sure if this is because I'm still adjusting to the new clubs or what. I know that the "extra length" isn't the problem because they are almost exactly the same length of my old irons.

For being game improvement irons, they have only hurt my game this far, although I have only been out to the range twice. Also, at this point, they are going the same distance as my old ones, if not, shorter.

I'm almost ready to give up on them already and go back to my old ones. This is rather frustrating. I'm going to see if I can get to a range where I can hit off of some grass this weekend. Maybe I'll do better then.

Keep us posted!

Di 11

Di 11

New to this thread.
I was reading through this thread from first to last (101st) page. Thanks to you guys I have decided to go on and order the clubs...
Did that just before going on a seaside with my family. Man, that was a long vacation.
Just got back home and there was a package waiting for me.
Will keep you posted.

New to this thread.
I was reading through this thread from first to last (101st) page. Thanks to you guys I have decided to go on and order the clubs...
Did that just before going on a seaside with my family. Man, that was a long vacation.
Will keep you posted.

Sounds good Gucci! Enjoy the new sticks!

New to this thread.
Will keep you posted.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts Gucci:wilsonstaff:

I sometimes struggle with the 4 iron. I hit the 5-GW really well. The thing that I like the best is that I seem to be a lot more accurate with these. Once I got used to the yardages I have played a lot better. I do think that the wedges are really good.

Glad to hear it Gucci! I am falling in love with these irons and W/S in general. I now have a set of Tw9 wedges to go along with my Di11's. My buddy saw my new bag and called me Barnes, lol. I love the whole set, 4-GW. If my driver is giving me fits, I just pull out my 4i and hit a solid 215 fairway tee shot.

Congratulations on your first set of clubs GucciSlo.
I was also reading almost the whole thread but in the end I decided for Wilson Staff D-FY set with half half shaft. I got them for very good price(like Di11 in steel shaft),I liked the looks of these irons more, and there are also 2 great hybrids there. If my game will improve and I will "outgrow" them, I can stilll switch to Di11 later.

After a week of owning them I can write a few words. I bought Di 11 steel shaft 4-GW.
I spent several hours on driving range and played two nine holes. I must say that the consistency of my swing hasn't improved dramatically since I'm just a beginner, with HCP 54. So all the bad shots I did, was all me. My address is still something I need to work on. Again, it's only two months since I got my hands on a golf club at all.
But... the ones I hit as a normal golfer should are long and high. And they send the balls where I would like them to go.

The clubs.
Grip for me is OK. I haven't tried many others and the ones I did were usually in bad shape so mine do their job well.
Wedges are great and easy to hit. I'm only missing the higher loft wedges since my GW is at 46*. I'm considering to go either to SW with 55* or to buy two or three from other brand to fill this gap.
Mid irons are good too. At first 8 I was difficult but yesterday it performed excellent. 120 meters with landing on the green and deep pitch mark. Ball was half a meter away waiting for a putt.
5 I is very good too. Playing from rough or fairway makes no problem. I call it my rescue club. 4 I on the other hand is difficult. Very!! I compensate this club with Fybrid. It will take some time to get familiar with this club. I played with Farmgolf a few weeks ago and his 4 I was terrific. But this one is "pain in the a.." But since its new I will give it a chance.

The looks.
They looked great. Looked... after first few hits they get scratched and glossy finish is gone. But its not about the looks isn't it? Its about the distance and straight shot. And here they perform great. At address some say have problems with longer irons since the cavity is seen. Makes no problem to me. The marks on a grip, and the top of the club are aligned and for me its easy to set it straight.

So far I'm delighted with my clubs. Thanks for all the testers and others that contributed to this thread. It made it easier for me to decide and get this set.

Last edited:
A little update from last post.
Today I played 9 hole again. My Fybrid stood me up. I played so terribly bad with it, that I took out 5 iron and decided to play safe. Later on when I warmed up and relaxed a bit I went for a 4 iron.
I was so wrong about his club. It worked perfectly well for me today. High, long and straight. Looks like I was just too tired after a few hours on driving range to hit it as I should and gave it a wrong review.
If I go on like this with 4 iron I might consider buying 3 iron if I'll get it somewhere for a decent price. Will see..

For the rest of the set. I can only confirm my last post. I'm only (still) missing higher lofted wedges. Eventually... when my wife say GO. :angel:

I must say that the consistency of my swing hasn't improved dramatically since I'm just a beginner, with HCP 54.

I was there, if not worse, just last fall. After purchasing the Di11's in April and then going to the range at least twice a week and at least 18 holes a week, I'm now playing just under double bogey golf.

Grip for me is OK. I haven't tried many others and the ones I did were usually in bad shape so mine do their job well.
Wedges are great and easy to hit. I'm only missing the higher loft wedges since my GW is at 46*. I'm considering to go either to SW with 55* or to buy two or three from other brand to fill this gap.

Some in the thread haven't liked the grips, but I did. To fill gap, I purchased the Di11 SW at the time I purchased the rest of the set. Because I didn't like the FG Tour grip, I picked up the 50° and 60° Tw9 wedges.

A little update from last post.
Today I played 9 hole again. My Fybrid stood me up. I played so terribly bad with it, that I took out 5 iron and decided to play safe. Later on when I warmed up and relaxed a bit I went for a 4 iron.
I was so wrong about his club. It worked perfectly well for me today. High, long and straight. Looks like I was just too tired after a few hours on driving range to hit it as I should and gave it a wrong review.
If I go on like this with 4 iron I might consider buying 3 iron if I'll get it somewhere for a decent price. Will see..

For the rest of the set. I can only confirm my last post. I'm only (still) missing higher lofted wedges. Eventually... when my wife say GO. :angel:

Thank you for the update Gucci. If only more people would hit these I think these would have really taken off. Especially with the price. These are an incredible value

Just a quick update from me on my set of Di11s. I've not been able to get onto the course as much as I'd have liked over the past month, but when I have the Di11s have really performed for me. These, along with my new driver, have given me a lot more confidence in my game, which means I'm becoming a lot more consistent. The driver's given me more distance off the tee, which means I'm often getting onto the green in regulation and stuffing up a lot less holes.

The irons reward a good contact with a nice high, penetrating flight, and a bad contact isn't punished too harshly. A lot of people reported having to drop down a club due to distance gains, but I didn't get that initially. A bit more practice on my swing to get better contact through the ball means that I'm now seeing that increase and have dropped a club in most circumstances.

Some people have reported issues with the grips. I've not played golf for long and my old clubs had grips that were 5 years old on them, so these grips were always going to be a lot better. Having got the new Octane driver, I think I prefer the stock grip that's on there and may look at changing the irons to match at some point. However, the stock iron grips have been fine, even in the rain, so they're not garbage.

Played a round 11 days ago and came the closest I've ever got to playing to my handicap - shot a 101 round and a lot of this was to do with the Di11s. Good solid ball flight, straight and true, and a lovely feeling when you get a good contact. I was walking the course with my girlfriend as she played 5 holes on Sunday and didn't have my clubs in the car. Her dad happened to turn up and he let me use his Ping G15s as we went round. They're nice clubs and I could hit them OK (same length and lie angle as mine), but I'll have the Di11s any day - can't see me shifting from these in a long time.

Just finished a quick 9 holes at my local club, shot a 42 and was pleased with the minor swing change I have been working on. these clubs just do not disappoint! When hit well they are just a dream to play. Honey moon is over and I still think I made the right choice getting the di11's over the burner 2.0's, I can see these being my gamers for the next few years at least.

Just caught up on this thread and there have been a lot of great updates. These irons are truly the real deal, and I wish more people would get out and test them as they flat out perform. I look at mine sitting in the office with me, and they are just begging to be hit. I might just take them out again to see how they are performing.

Here's a pic of one of the good shots I hit with my DI-11's today. It was an easy 7i from 155 yds.

P9110441.jpg

Here's a video of the result from another good shot, into the wind, with a smooth 8i from 130yds. I made the birdie putt, thank you very much. lol

[video=youtube;SnUA-whuikA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnUA-whuikA[/video]

Awesome shots BBB. These clubs are awesome!

I tested them and they were not for me. Could have been a shaft issue. Very harsh on off center hits. I wish companies like WS would get off the "Uni-flex" kick and offer more stock options. They offered the FST 105 in the Ci9's why not in the Di11? Big mistake imho. I truly like WS equipment, but have found the "Real Deal" in an unexpected option.

Glad to hear they're workin' out for the rest of you.

The main problem I find with these irons is that no one carries them. Hard to get people playing them if they can't try them out.
Other than a couple of Demo days over the Summer at a couple of courses, not one store locally carries these clubs. Checked 3 different Golfsmiths, Golf Galaxy, Dicks and a local golf store and not one carries WS equipment.

The main problem I find with these irons is that no one carries them. Hard to get people playing them if they can't try them out.
Other than a couple of Demo days over the Summer at a couple of courses, not one store locally carries these clubs. Checked 3 different Golfsmiths, Golf Galaxy, Dicks and a local golf store and not one carries WS equipment.

This is the real shame of Wilson equipment, they make awesome clubs but unless you find a club or course that stocks them you won't be able to get your hands on them for a test session. That leaves buying a set on blind faith that it will work for you which understandably a lot of people are hesitant to do.

This is the real shame of Wilson equipment, they make awesome clubs but unless you find a club or course that stocks them you won't be able to get your hands on them for a test session. That leaves buying a set on blind faith that it will work for you which understandably a lot of people are hesitant to do.

Exactly, I might drop $25-30 blind on a dozen balls I've heard good things about but there is no way I am willing to drop $7-800 on Irons without trying them out first

Played yesterday after work and it just keeps getting better with these clubs, the stock sand wedge is deadly from 90 yds. and in, anything under 115 yds. and the pitching wedge is gonna go on a search and destroy for the pin. I just cannot say enough about these clubs

Back