Divots and pitch marks

Gianna1025

Reaction score
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Handicap
This weekend I was lucky enough to play at my local course right outside Atlantic City! I have been playing there for 8 years now and I have to say that they have the nicest greens for any daily fee course in South Jersey! Even with the winter in full swing(sort of) the greens were in pristine condition.

The locals of this course take it for granted. Every time I play I spend half my time fixing pitch marks and filling in divots from the groups ahead! There is nothing that makes me more angry than people who don't appreciate the condition of the course they call "home". I have heard some of the "locals" complain that the course wasn't in great shape!!

Does this drive any one else BANANAS? How hard is it to bend down and fix your pitch mark? I know that when I hit a good shot that lands on the green, I find joy in fixing them. Same with filling in a divot!

Just venting! If there is already a thread on this please merge!

Of course it ticks me off. But there is nothing that I can really do other than fix the damage when I come to it.

I think it ticks all of us that fix them off. It ruins courses if it goes badly for long enough.

Same here bud. I normally fix my pitch mark and one more each time. Some of the older members that live on the course assign certain holes and they'll go out once or twice a week and fill in divots. I think its mainly the tourist traffic that come and pay $150 to play and think that they don't have to abide by any etiquette AT ALL. But yeah, chaps my hide! :)

Same here bud. I normally fix my pitch mark and one more each time. Some of the older members that live on the course assign certain holes and they'll go out once or twice a week and fill in divots. I think its mainly the tourist traffic that come and pay $150 to play and think that they don't have to abide by any etiquette AT ALL. But yeah, chaps my hide! :)
It doesn't just happen at touristy places. It happens on nearly every course in the country.

There's a bunch on this, so seem's to be a problem everywhere. I'm not 100% sure everyone should fix their divots. I'd just as soon fix as many as I can because I know how to do it right, lol. Done wrong and the spot takes forever to mend.

I played a local muni for the first time in a while. The greens were surprisingly green, but were pockmarked from people not repairing their ball marks. I would usually end up fixing 3-5 marks a hole, it was ridiculous. Sad because the course is in great shape right now outside of that.

The members at my course do a really good job of filling divots and fixing ball marks. I used to would try to fix mine and one other on every green. It's rare that I find an unrepaired ball mark now.

There's a bunch on this, so seem's to be a problem everywhere. I'm not 100% sure everyone should fix their divots. I'd just as soon fix as many as I can because I know how to do it right, lol. Done wrong and the spot takes forever to mend.
Ain't that the truth.

Yep...can't believe people won't rake the bunkers when done either. I put 2 divots back today that were from the group right in front of us. Hulk Hogan could have used either one as a toupee...these were monster divots. Looked like a sod cutter had been through there.

I would rather fix 10 idiots divots than have 10 idiots fix their divots incorrectly. But this isn't actually a huge problem at my course. Our greens are so small they are not hit on the approach very often, and so firm that they can withstand all but the most punishing of landings.

I would rather fix 10 idiots divots than have 10 idiots fix their divots incorrectly. But this isn't actually a huge problem at my course. Our greens are so small they are not hit on the approach very often, and so firm that they can withstand all but the most punishing of landings.

This is so true. Wrongly-fixed ball marks hurt the greens more than the marks themselves says my course's greenskeeper. I love doing it to help out the course.

It doesn't make me mad but I'm of the belief that you should leave it better than you found it. I fix ball marks while waiting to putt and will fill divots next to mine if I notice them.
Edit: an unrepaired ball mark takes 15 days to heal. Repaired, half that time.

This feels like beating a dead horse, in my opinion there aren't many THPer's that would fall into this group. Just keep fixing them when you come across them and teach those that don't know how.

Ball marks divots and unraked bunkers are all signs of a selfish golfer not caring for any of the other golfers, it does tick me off, but all you can do it make it better for the next person through. Nothing else you can do except try not to let it affect you game.

What kills me is when I play behind a group of members at my course and then I get on the green and find 2 or 3 "fresh" ball marks...I always fix any ball marks I come across (thank you Green Saver!) and I have mentioned to the proshop about them not fixing their ball marks...but it's not like they are going to tell them they can't play.....I would just think members would want to take better care of their course.

I would just think members would want to take better care of their course.
You would think so, but sometimes they can be the worst offenders. Latest reason I heard was "I'm a senior...they have workers to take care of that."
Made me ill.

You would think so, but sometimes they can be the worst offenders. Latest reason I heard was "I'm a senior...they have workers to take care of that."
Made me ill.

Those are the kind of members that show up at 9am on Saturday and get mad because they have to wait....they don't think they need a tee time because "they are members"

I reckon it's simply because a lot of players don't own a pitch mark repairer, personally I think you should have to demonstrate you own one before you tee off and if not then just add it to the green fee and are supplied with one

As was mentioned before I like repairing my pitch marks as usually means I've hit a good approach

I reckon it's simply because a lot of players don't own a pitch mark repairer, personally I think you should have to demonstrate you own one before you tee off and if not then just add it to the green fee and are supplied with one

As was mentioned before I like repairing my pitch marks as usually means I've hit a good approach

Many people simply use a tee

I've turned around and gone the 10 minute drive back home to fetch my pitch mark repairer before when I realised that I didn't bring it to the course. Don't think I could comfortably play a round knowing I had no way to repair any damage I might cause to the green. Our greens are pretty hard and can take a lot of a beating. I've hit the green from 150-200 yards out numerous times and spent a few minutes looking around the green for my pitching mark and not finding anything.

Being in Manchester in the UK means we have a lot of rain, a high approach will usually leave a large pitchmark!

Yep....it's an age old problem of thoughtless golfers that just ignore the pitch marks.
That's why I always make a point of fixing mine and then at least 2 more before I leave the green.

I think since golf has become more popular, it's gotten worse since there are more casual golfers out on the course these days who may not know how to fix ball marks or that they need to. One course here in Maryland actually gives you a plastic repaid tool when you check in.

You guys have made lots of good points here and I am in agreement with most except the requirement for greens repair tools. A common tee is a better tool in the hands of most but either can be bad if used improperly. I cringe when people use the "repair" tool and start twisting or prying the center of the mark up or both. Before I joined my current club, I played an event here and the old pro, who is still here, took the entire group to the practice green and instructed us how to repair marks and asked us to use a tee. Some days I fix a lot of ball marks but today I don't think there will be any. The greens will be frozen solid:D

You guys have made lots of good points here and I am in agreement with most except the requirement for greens repair tools. A common tee is a better tool in the hands of most but either can be bad if used improperly. I cringe when people use the "repair" tool and start twisting or prying the center of the mark up or both. Before I joined my current club, I played an event here and the old pro, who is still here, took the entire group to the practice green and instructed us how to repair marks and asked us to use a tee. Some days I fix a lot of ball marks but today I don't think there will be any. The greens will be frozen solid:D

Father-in-law showed me how to do it properly and there is a nice diagram in the clubhouse telling members how to repair them properly. Mind you he plays often it's not surprising our greens are still in perfect condition in January!

Back