The THP Bridgestone Championship - THP Invades Las Vegas

Announcement
Do to things outside of our control (flooding), the course that this event was set to be played at, is now closed and not able to fulfill their obligation to THP, Bridgestone and the members of this community that are participating. The entire staff here as well as the sponsor of the event are working on a solution that will continue to make this one of the best events THP has ever hosted.

We will keep you updated in this thread as to what changes will be taking place. Thank you for your continued support.

I am sure you guys will totally nail it with whatever happens!

Wow! Not worried though. I am sure it will all work out in the end.

Not only did the rain take out the course but apparently their website as well

Quite an amazing turn of events. Will be waiting patiently to see what comes of this.
I have no doubt that THP and Bridgestone are doing everything they can to bring an amazing event.

Very unfortunate. The good news is we've got solid people and a great sponsor on it, so it will all be okay. Plus we're really fortunate to be in a city that has a million golf courses. Thanks in advance for your efforts JB, GG, Mike and Bridgestone in making this happen.

Since we are just over 30 days out I’ve started setting things aside that I don’t want to forget, trying to figure out the best way to pack a soft travel bag etc. In the back of my mind I knew, that to protect my putter from the airline’s baggage gorillas, I would need to place it in a slot in the bag vs. being exposed in the putter well. A SeeMore SB1 takes up a lot of real estate and an M5x isn’t much better, so for ease of packing I will forgo my mid-mallets as well and just game my mFGP.

I know some participants were discussing possibly using Bridgestone bags or returning Bridgestone clubs to their bags to show their support.

Question: Other than the Bridgestone ball you were fit for, what changes to your bag are you making for the invitational?

Since I just finished the Morgan Cup as a Bridgestone Staffer, I will be showing my support for my amazing sponsor by using the staff bag and clubs and wearing some of the scripting that they so graciously provided for me during this event.

Paiute got devasted last night in a rain storm. Should be in great shape by the time the event takes place though. Snow will reopen Sept 7th, the other courses sometime after that, date not determined yet. We got a tremendous amount of rain yesterday and last night, flooding everywhere in the NW part of Las Vegas closed roads all over the area, I-95 was shut down for hours yesterday by Paiute.

I got their emails from them and saw the posts of Facebook...sounds aweful.

Having never been to any THP events, what yardage do you guys usually play during these tournaments?

Having been to a handful now all I can say is it varies depending on the course...I have played everything from about 6100 to 6500 in THP events, but don't worry JB and staff always make sure to set it up where it's fair for everybody.

Announcement
Do to things outside of our control (flooding), the course that this event was set to be played at, is now closed and not able to fulfill their obligation to THP, Bridgestone and the members of this community that are participating. The entire staff here as well as the sponsor of the event are working on a solution that will continue to make this one of the best events THP has ever hosted.

We will keep you updated in this thread as to what changes will be taking place. Thank you for your continued support.

WOW, that's horrible news...but I have no doubt that the staff at THP and Bridgestone will find a way to turn this setback into an even bigger and better event.

I nominate Shadow Creek as an alternative :)

That is horrible news, but Vegas has some amazing golf courses so I have no doubt we will be able to get everything pulled together and have an amazing weekend regardless!

Wolf Creek perhaps?
Bali Hai?
Wynn?

OK maybe I'm dreaming just a bit!!! No doubt we'll be just fine though! I was looking forward to playing Pauite as one of my good buddies has played there a lot and speaks very highly of it. I hope they're able to get everything cleaned up!

Well, there are 2 TPC courses in Vegas too :D

Wow, read Vegans post earlier and was still hopeful but it sounds pretty darn bad what happened there.

Courses looked amazing pre-flood but I have no doubt that THP will do what's best for those attending.

Well, there are 2 TPC courses in Vegas too :D

Yeah, but one is private. I have to admit, I was kind of thinking about the TPC course.

You know, I am looking at this like it is another opportunity to get excited. The Piaute courses would have been great but now we get the anticipation of learning about a new course (courses?...could be pretty tough to find one facility that can host a 2 day event on 1 months notice). The only bad side is I now lose the advantage of inside course knowledge about Wolf based on my whole single time of playing it :)

Yeah, but one is private. I have to admit, I was kind of thinking about the TPC course.

You know, I am looking at this like it is another opportunity to get excited. The Piaute courses would have been great but now we get the anticipation of learning about a new course (courses?...could be pretty tough to find one facility that can host a 2 day event on 1 months notice). The only bad side is I now lose the advantage of inside course knowledge about Wolf based on my whole single time of playing it :)

Never underestimate the power of the people organizing this. :D
This event is far bigger than I think most grasp.

I'm sure with all the talented and dedicated people at both THP and Bridgestone working on this, that the event will be superb - no matter where it's held.
I'm sorry the courses at Paiute received so much damage, and I hope they'll be repaired and come back soon. I was looking forward to playing Paiute given all the terrific photos and hole descriptions on the website. But I'm sure that wherever we land, it will be a great weekend of some fantastic golf. Thanks Bridgestone and THP for all your efforts.

Since we are just over 30 days out I’ve started setting things aside that I don’t want to forget, trying to figure out the best way to pack a soft travel bag etc. In the back of my mind I knew, that to protect my putter from the airline’s baggage gorillas, I would need to place it in a slot in the bag vs. being exposed in the putter well. A SeeMore SB1 takes up a lot of real estate and an M5x isn’t much better, so for ease of packing I will forgo my mid-mallets as well and just game my mFGP.

I know some participants were discussing possibly using Bridgestone bags or returning Bridgestone clubs to their bags to show their support.

Question: Other than the Bridgestone ball you were fit for, what changes to your bag are you making for the invitational?

FYI, the TSA made a change earlier this year that allows you to carry on up to 2 golf clubs. If you have a putter you want to game but don't want to put it in the travel bag, carry it on the plane with you and the Airline Attendants can store it in one of their closets during the flight.

You want cart path only in Vegas for 36 holes?:D

Okay maybe not such a good idea...LOL

Isn't there a Bear's Best Course in Vegas too?

Primm Valley has a couple of Tom Fazio courses and I think Rio Secco is a Rees Jones course....or I guess I could dream like Jake and wish for Shadowcreek or The Wynn :D

You want cart path only in Vegas for 36 holes?:D

Playing the cart path is the only way I ever get 300 yard drives. The tricky part is hitting those darn things.

Wow, read Vegans post earlier and was still hopeful but it sounds pretty darn bad what happened there.

Courses looked amazing pre-flood but I have no doubt that THP will do what's best for those attending.

I just spoke with my parents. Apparently the damage was reasonably localized and were made worse by recent fires (as a point of reference, they probably live about equal distance as Vegan to the main FWY, but on the other side, and are fine, whereas he had challenges getting into his neighborhood). As it relates to our outing that should mean other courses were not hit - or hit nearly as bad - as the Paiute courses.

While I'm a little disappointed being I was really looking forward to playing that beautiful course I'm sure things will work out and this event will still be something to remember.

I'm not worried about this at all. I know THP can make it happen. I'm just pumped to see you guys and play some golf!!

I agree my friend....can't wait to see everybody, play some golf and share a few (dozen) cold beers!

I was looking forward to playing Paiute given all the terrific photos and hole descriptions on the website.
No kidding. This has been my desktop for a couple of weeks.
978539d8bd334bf9272a773845d31ad3.jpg

WOW, I didn't realize that Shadowcreek has risen all the way to #5 on Golf Digest's Top 100 public courses!

that hole was completely under water, green and all!

That is insane...But flying into Palm Springs during a little sprinkle and seeing all their streets flooding I can believe it.

Back